Psykosisnewbie
31 posts

Posted:
Hi everybody, im having trouble understanding posts in this forum when talking about 'anti-spin' could someone please explain...

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
When your arm is rotating in the opposite direction of the poi head. For example, hand going clockwise, poi head is counter-clockwise. And vice versa.

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

MidkiffBRONZE Member
shadow stranger
462 posts

Posted:
a slightly easier explanation your poi spin forwards and your arm spins backwards

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able, and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" - Epicurus

[ Unregistered ]addict
413 posts

Posted:
Paper by Imakokode: antispin.pdf

smile,

ninja

Psykosisnewbie
31 posts

Posted:
Okay cheers guys. Im gona work on ant-spin buzzsaws as soon as my new poi arrive.

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
You can not really anti-spin a buzzsaw. You can anti-spin a buzzsaw fountain?

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Smurf24029GOLD Member
Poi Master Smurf
343 posts

Posted:
I beg to differ aston. It all depends on the length of your poi. That was probably the first flower I learned let alone ever saw.

Fly High
Spin Hard
Don't Stop

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
A buzzsaw has no arm movement, being static spin of both poi between your arms. Since it is static spin, it can not be antispun (or is always antispun, depending on which way the head of the viewer is spinning, I guess).

Poi length makes no difference. Buzzsaw flowers and fountains are something different.

Otherwise, I want to see an antispun buzzsaw please.

chemairoSILVER Member
person who like to spin all gears
62 posts

Posted:
Of course you can antispin a buzzsaw and then it looks like that
https://www.feuershow.de/ql?3187

and this you can combine with a fountain for example and get something similar what Jon was playing with in this video

Are there more of these theory papers? Love to read them wink

Smurf24029GOLD Member
Poi Master Smurf
343 posts

Posted:
@aston Yes a regular buzzsaw has no movement of the arms and is just static spin. But what about an Isolated buzzsaw? Still a buzz saw but your arms are moving to isolate the poi. I believe that anti spin buzzsaw also fits in this field, just requires a different arm movement. Also I can make a horrible cell phone video with my flowlights if you would like me to so I can make a visual point. grin

@Chemairo that is definitely the anti spin buzz saw I know, just not with perfect timing. With really nice timing the tracers make a great little triquetra, and not the typical skinny petal one. This one has fat petals more like the Celtic triquetra.

Also Alien Jon FTW tongue2

Fly High
Spin Hard
Don't Stop

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
owner of the group property
1,277 posts

Posted:
Eh, better than the double cat-eye buzzsaw is the horizontal vs. vertical cat-eye buzzsaw. Which I totally can't do, but it's pretty boss and looks more buzzsaw-y to me.

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

EpitomeOfNoviceGOLD Member
Putting the "FUN" in fundamental since 1981
787 posts

Posted:
I'm not sure if anyone can enlighten me to this, but it would be great to understand. I can do goofy flowers alternating which hand is in anti-spin with no problem, same thing with CAPs, but an anti-spin flower full-on in either wheel or wall plane starts okay then goes into forward or goofy for no good reason very early on.

Is there some way to feel the signal it's going to switch back to forward or even a rule to help keep it from changing momentum?

~Rock on!~

"As the pattern gets more intricate and subtle, being swept along is no longer enough"-Waking Life

(All you RLers this is epitome_of_lame *waves hello*)

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Epitome? Are you changing the direction of one of your poi?? Or one of your arms? It won't be "for no good reason" it will most likely be a matter of planes.

hug

EpitomeOfNoviceGOLD Member
Putting the "FUN" in fundamental since 1981
787 posts

Posted:
Well I'm sure there's a good reason, but the switch happens after a few correct passes when I start getting in the groove of it when I'm not looking. The arms stay in the chase motion, but out of nowhere the poi changes directions from anti-spin to regular or goofy and I'm not quite sure how to prevent this from happening.

It normally happens when my focus goes to which hand is in the back.

~Rock on!~

"As the pattern gets more intricate and subtle, being swept along is no longer enough"-Waking Life

(All you RLers this is epitome_of_lame *waves hello*)

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Yeah it'll be a plane issue, try to focus on keeping the poi nice and straight in plane, other than that, keep practicing and taking note of whats actually going on! ^_^

hug

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
Ah. Those. Completely forgot about those. Apologies.