DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
I know there's a few web-page writers out there, so thought I'd post this up as my skills are way to rusty.

My bands Myspace seems to have a weird bit of coding in it.

On Macs, all is fine.
But on Windows, unless you're using Chrome apparently, the player is off screen to the left, which is a bit rubbish.

Aside from advising all our fans to get a Mac, any idea how to fix this?
The code is as follows (I didn't write it! I know it's an abomination)

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
The OS should be irrelevent but browser choice and resolution will be important.

I'm using firefox 3.6.8 with a resolution of 1280*800 and the player is dead centre for me.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
See I thought about resolution, but that would make it shift around - as it is, it's either in the correct place, or halfway off the screen.

[Sidenote] I installed 3.6.8 - it refused to run, refused to be downgraded, and refused to be clean installed. Have since moved to Opera which is good, but doesn't have AdBlockPlus and doesn't intergrate into IDM as well. [/sidenote]

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
But looking at the code, there's nothing that leaps out at me as being browser specific - but as I mentioned, I haven't coded sites for ages.

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

[ Unregistered ]addict
413 posts

Posted:
It rather technical discussion that social by the way,
but the problem is that us use fixed lenth variables
instead of dynamic positioning..

ninja

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Technical Discussion is part of "Poi/staff discussion" which this isn't, hence not being there tongue2

So it's the:
position:absolute; left:50%; top:-400px; margin-left:-1210px; z-index:9;}
that's the issue?
Why is this browser specific?

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
hear hear - posting in the 'wrong forum', huh? wink

I just checked... player appears quite centered... apparently all players are precisely where they should be (imho) I'm using Vista wink like Seye FF 3.6.8 and work on a 17'' monitor (resolution 1280x800)...

as Seye said: I would rather suspect that it is more likely a resolution problem... but the only other thing I could possibly think of (apart from that dynamic positioning) is that the it is always saying "margin left: {and then inserting a negative value}" I would try play around with that...

hope it helps

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
As [Unregistered] suggested, can you not make those relative? Have also not played with HTML in years....
Instead of having fixed px values for a position, make those relative to width and height of the screen.

Regarding why it could be browser specific, different browsers conform to standards in different ways. Do not ask me how that works....

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

LaasyaBRONZE Member
Wind Dancer
126 posts

Posted:
I'm running firefox on win7 and the player is dead center. I'll have to agree with Aston on this one. I can't say I've tried such a thing in html, in fact, I've only used html to make fonts turn pretty colors, but can you say "put the X coordinate of player's center at half the width of the page" ?

Impermanent are all created things;
Strive on with awareness.
- Buddha

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Durbs I'm trying to look at it in Dreamweaver, but it is not embedding any players (as the corresponding URLs are missing)... so can't be of help here.

georgemcBRONZE Member
Sitting down facing forward . . .
2,387 posts

Posted:
Hey Durbs, how's it going? Hope all is well.

My few years at playing with html didn't get to anything quite as techy as this but I do suspect that unregistered & Aston are on the right track. Windows Explorer is MUCH less tolerant than other browsers and unless your html is super perfect and covers all eventualities, it throws up all sorts of different views than you'd expect or get on other browsers. I used to get it all the time where my pages would be fine on Firefox & Opera but not on Windows Explorer. (Stoopid Windows!)

I suggest you change the absolute "px" values with more relative "%" based ones.

cheers mate

Written by: Doc Lightning talking about Marmite in Kichi's Intro thread

I have several large jars of the stuff. I actually like it... a little. And don't tell anyone I admitted to it.
grin

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Tis wierd though - tried FF and IE at work on XP (XP?!! Farks sake...), and IE and Opera at home on Win7 and all have the same problem.

Having said that, Tash fiddled the code on a trial page and got it centered, so all should be well soon smile

Cheers guys

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

LaasyaBRONZE Member
Wind Dancer
126 posts

Posted:
georgemc - You mean Internet Explorer, right? Not Windows Explorer? If you were trying to open a webpage via windows explorer, I would be terribly confused. And slightly concerned...

Anyways, glad you got it figured out Durbs grin good luck!

Impermanent are all created things;
Strive on with awareness.
- Buddha

georgemcBRONZE Member
Sitting down facing forward . . .
2,387 posts

Posted:
of course Laasya - just testing to see if you're awake! grin

Written by: Doc Lightning talking about Marmite in Kichi's Intro thread

I have several large jars of the stuff. I actually like it... a little. And don't tell anyone I admitted to it.
grin

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
First: A 2.4Mb animated gif! Please no! It's far too big and far too annoyingly jerky in it's movement. Kill it please! ( IMO wink )

Second, its halfway off to the left of the screen on IE 6,7,8.

I find MySpace templates to be the work of the devil himself and anathema to good design, usability and legibility.

The layout of a MYSpace page is a fixed table. What your layout is trying to do is pull that player from it's table cell and place it in the middle. The problem is that all the surrounding junk will affect that and different browsers handle that junk differently. So what you need is MySpace template advice, not HTML advice. Luckily I never have to touch such dirty issues of the web, so I can be of no definite help.

However, "position:absolute; left:50%; top:-400px; margin-left:-1210px;" is almost right for centring a div, but the rule is the left margin must be half the width of the div. However as you're positioning an absolute element wrapped in a relative element the absolute position is relative to the relative element. In other words the position starting point is not the 0,0 point of the page; but where the browser sees the 0,0 point of the table. This is why it's different in different browsers. I wouldn't mind having a bit of a play around with it, but I haven't got the time at the moment. I'm off on holiday smile

I'd recommend letting the player sit in the right column where it wants to be unless you can somehow remove the player from the main site table, which I don't think you can do.

Third: You can open a web url in Windows Explorer and it'll convert to a browser.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Cheers Dom - I didn't write any of the site, Erin did, but I noticed it was wrong.

I'll pass on your constructive thoughts wink

Happy holidays grin

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
fixed? wink