Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > Overhead Spiral Wrap Logistics

Login/Join to Participate

EpitomeOfNoviceGOLD Member
Putting the "FUN" in fundamental since 1981
787 posts

Posted:
Ok after watching a ton of videos of people spinning and I see no actual tutorial based around this I was wondering if doing the spiral wrap overhead is easier to get into and gain momentum VS in wall plane (not coming together for me because I do not spin fast enough to pull it off).

What I'm hoping for insight on is how to use the full body/core strength to gain momentum for the wrap...

How to be sure the plains are good and optimal start points to wrap on the wrists...

How to make sure they unwind with the aid of full body work and/or footwork...

Then anything else that may be helpful in transitions and keeping the momentum going!

Thanks much in advance as always, I think it'll be easier to learn in ceiling plane then transfer the feel and concept to standard. yes

~Rock on!~

"As the pattern gets more intricate and subtle, being swept along is no longer enough"-Waking Life

(All you RLers this is epitome_of_lame *waves hello*)

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
To start learning, since your poi are so long, it would be very beneficial to start shorter. As far as gaining momentum, you don't need very much as the poi speed up as the chain get's shorter.

The hard part for me to learn was not at all to get it wound up, but to unwind it. It's like a flick. I start the "flick" just barely before the fire touches my wrist. But If I have gloves, I can hold it there for however long. Then flick it, but that came with more practice. Footwork is not needed. Bodywork, it can help to torque your body if you need a little extra push, I mor have to do this with a continuous spiral over my head, but it should help you learn anyways. If you want to see what kind of torquing I mean, look at Nevisoul's "Spinning in Silence" and he does it at one point in there. Though the moving left to right isn't needed, but adds a cool look wink

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

787 posts

Posted:
Cool is always good no doubt, I'm working with shorter chains now too. My only question I still have before going right at it is how to ensure it wraps my wrist (like ideal angle) and simply turning should get going like a helicopter for it to wrap right?

I'm starting off in a corkscrew going into a spiral wrap so far BTW any other good transfers would rock. They're unwinding but not very pretty like.
EDITED_BY: EpitomeOfNovice (1281936514)
EDIT_REASON: added details

~Rock on!~

"As the pattern gets more intricate and subtle, being swept along is no longer enough"-Waking Life

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
just spin around with them, arms straight out opposite of each other, then bring it up with your hands together smile

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

787 posts

Posted:
Hmmm, for the sake of my furnishings tomorrow I'll work on this outdoors! smile

I'm sure I'll get this one!

~Rock on!~

787 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: SpinnerofDetroitjust spin around with them, arms straight out opposite of each other, then bring it up with your hands together smile

BTW What exactly does this mean? I have to literally spin my entire body in circles to accomplish this with so little information, please explain how you just "spin them"...

*asks highly detailed, sectioned questions for a very good reason* wink

~Rock on!~

MidkiffBRONZE Member
shadow stranger
462 posts

Posted:
well i would try same direction floor plane with your arms extended on their rightful sides then bring them up will probably have to work on the timing though but a corkscrew would probably be easier

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able, and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" - Epicurus

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Horizontal extension pirouette?

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

787 posts

Posted:
Well I can do it laying down at least, I bashed my lip open last night trying to get it standing up (first time I have had blood run out of my mouth ever! Guess that's how being punched in the face feels like) so I'm taking a break from this one until I work out the effects of gravity.

The video of my laying down spiral wrap is on the youtube if anyone can work out the adjustments for gravity and explain the alteration needed when standing... https://www.youtube.com/epitomeoflame
I do good continuous ones in the video titled "Unorthodox Learning: Spiral Wrap Edition" in the second half.

~Rock on!~

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
owner of the group property
1,277 posts

Posted:
Well, gravity's effect on the poi is the same whether you're standing or lying down. They're horizontal, gravity is perpendicular to their plane. At a guess, especially if you hit yourself in the face, your floor plane spin needs cleaning up. I.e. it's likely a plane control issue. If an overhead spiral wrap is your goal, there are no special mechanics that involve gravity.

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

787 posts

Posted:
My guess is I explained that horribly, so let me try again.

Laying helicopter overhead: When I'm laying on my back with my hands in front of me and do the spiral wrap from there it is the same as a normal spiral wrap, but my body has been switched like the "L" shape in Tetris. I don't need to focus on stuff like standing and my center of gravity is much better distributed laying on my back with the spinny thing very close to the ground and I can actually see my hands.

Standing overhead: I can't see what I'm doing, I can't see to slap my hands together in time or with any amount of aim let alone where the poi are, when I looked up to try an gauge the situation I stumbled with the same disoriented feeling I get on a ladder, the poi slowed and the face got smashed.

Standing regular spiral mode: I try to go into it from weave turn since standing their doing the air wrap prep and pushing my hands into the eye of the storm doesn't work, I'm not strong enough to carry the weight/centrifical force let alone be able to manipulate it with a vertical wheel plane.

It should be clear why I have always dropped physics, refuse to take the class, and consider many of the theories B.S. because they have nothing to do with practicality (like stuff in a vacuum), but I'm pretty sure gravity has a lot to do with my ease of control when a wheel plane is only 2 feet off the ground versus over 6 1/2 feet off the ground. Kind of how I had to quit skateboarding when I had a large growth spurt because I couldn't adjust the change in my center of gravity, it even hindered my show jumping and dance/gymnastics ability.

That's the gravity I need help overcoming and understanding. My brain working to allow me to stand on 2 legs is probably a factor in the issue of demanding to much neurobandwidth along with taking away my gift of having eyeballs with contact lenses, but the most distressing factor is the raising of the center of gravity. yes

I need to get a mirror so bad at some point, I don't know how I've made it as far as I have with no idea of what I'm doing looks like without filming it. No joke! *scratches head* I seriously need a mirror and a higher ceiling. tongue2

~Rock on!~

burningoftheclaveySILVER Member
lurking like a ninja with no camouflage..
926 posts

Posted:
if you go outside on a sunny day you can use your shadow on the ground wink sunny

Also from watching your video, I'd suggest not pausing before you flip your hands to turn the poi the opposite way when you're standing up, that seems to be the problem along with possible lack of momentum in the poi? If you practice on the ground and get the feel for the poi as it comes in close to your hand you'll be able to feel when to flip your hands above your head as well smile good luck!

on spam robots - "Burn the robot! Melt him down, and then we can make lots and lots of money from his shiiiny juices!"

Owned by Brenn smile