Jezaddict
642 posts

Posted:
I always practice in the courtyard in front of my flats and I have caught the attention of the kids in our estate. Most of the time they are well behaved and I have let them have a go to keep them quiet. However it has got to the point that everytime I go out and practise I get bombarded with all the kids getting in my way or nagging at me to have a go. Due to a lack of other places to go and practise I do not wish to move but I have found I cannot devote as much practise time as I wish to. Also when there is a large amount of them they think it is ok to pick up my equipment and run about with it despite me telling them not to. I wonder if anyone has any advice on how to deal with them as I really do not want to have to travel far to go and practise!Thanx in advanceJez'Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience'

'Happiness is liking peeing on yourself. Everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.'

'If *I* had a hammer, there'd be no more folk singers.'

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Hmmmm...it's a hard one isn't it? You want to be cool and for them to get the exposure to something new but then there is that protection over your stuff and not wanting them to get hurt. This happened with me and this neighbor kid. He really irritated me not only cause he would just pick up my stuff but he would also walk right near me when I was spinning. What I did was leave out my crappiest stuff (like my staff that was nothing more than a dowel rod with duct tape on the ends and poi made of old socks).I told him to use those "over there" and stay away because I wasn't going to stop anymore so I wouldn't hit him. He was hit once (he was dumb enough to try me), and he eventually gave up because he didn't like the play equipment. It just wasn't cool enough for him. While this worked for me, I only had to deal with one kid so I don't know if you would have the same luck.Whatever you do, don't out and out threaten the kids, even not seriously, that is loads of trouble waiting to happen. I also have to say, watch them for a bit flailing around. Not only is it humorous sometimes they can help you figure stuff out. This neighbor kid shocked both myself, himself and everyone else around by arbitrarily tossing up the staff, doing a forward roll and standing up into the downfall of the staff. It was so natural and perfect, and it helped me realize where the body and the staff needed to be at each poit in time to get the move down (which I am still working on smile).Best of luck,------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

emthrenmember
57 posts

Posted:
Could try good ol' fashion bribery... "let me practise, and i'll do a (fire?) show for you later".=))

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
This would be a great opportunity to help them build their own. Have them bring an old pair of socks and string and show them how to put them together. Then they have their own and won't be running off with yours. I like Pele's tack as well. Tell them that you're not going to stop anymore to prevent from hitting them and then follow through. They'll learn. Just make sure you're using something soft so they don't get injured. Diana

CAINED-AND-UNABLEmember
214 posts

Posted:
i've got rid of hecklers by :* ignoring them* teaching them to make own poi* bribing them with "spectacular" moves* teaching them moves that most experience twirlers couldn't do till they got board, too broused and went home.(not in the order of preference)hope i could help.c'and'u

NYC_not_PKOne Tyred Guy
203 posts

Posted:
I work with kids all the time. It sounds trite but it's true that kids need boundaries. If you say "You can play for 3 minutes and then I need to practice" they should respect it. Don't be afraid to be straight forward and stern. You're already "cool" by letting them try it once. If you're rigid and honest the kids should either respect it or lose interst. Don't be afraid to say "No" or "Sorry, Not today, I need to practice". It's important for a growing child to explore his limitations and in a sense he "should" try to find his boundaries. It's just as important for adults to set boundries and limitations and for the child to respect them. [Uh oh, another public school teacher playing the "blame the parents game"... sorry it's a habit!]**P. S. I (for one) love the yellow thing. Thanks Malcolm!

PK is a god.. i love the Peeekster.

.:PK:. [poiinthepark founder member]

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing smileSTAY SAFE! hug

Jezaddict
642 posts

Posted:
Thanks for the adviceI will put it to good use and hopefully I will be able to enjoy peace once more without too much interruption from them.Jez'Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience'

'Happiness is liking peeing on yourself. Everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.'

'If *I* had a hammer, there'd be no more folk singers.'

pjmember
277 posts

Posted:
Hmm. This is not like my experiences with kids at all. For the most part, they seem to want to play with the toys and don't really seem to want any instruction. I often keep an extra set (or two) arround, so I just hand them out and the kids leave me alone.-p.

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
Hi all,sorry to join this allready old discussion, but I am a bit surprised. Maybe we don't have the same kind of kids here , or maybe I am more of a "kid lover" ? No offense winkI mean for sure I know what u mean and just about anyone interrupting you when u don't feel like it can be annoying, but I'd say, the kids annoy me rather less than others and inspire me a lot because they don't fear to be ridiculous and have this hunger for new things. I just love the shine in their eyes and repect and envy their imagination sometimes. smileShine onCassandra

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"