Forums > Social Discussion > The Tramping, Hiking, Trekking, Backpacking Thread

Login/Join to Participate

FugeeBRONZE Member
Cooler than bubblegum!
2,501 posts

Posted:
I thought it would be interesting to start a thread to discuss ideas and experiences for those of us that enjoy nature by foot or bike. If you're like me you are always looking for ways to improve your experience, lighten your gear load, and try out new bush lore.

This October I am hitting the Ouachita Trail through western AR. and eastern OK. Before I go I would like to see if anyone in HoPland has great ideas for ways to improve on water proofing your gear, lowering fuel consumption, meal prep and recipes, and lightening the load or just input on how you do your thing.

The popcorn extends life... The popcorn expands consciousness...

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
how ´bout back 2 basics? wink

Non-Https Image Link

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

FugeeBRONZE Member
Cooler than bubblegum!
2,501 posts

Posted:
I have been known to augment with the basics. I usually have a 22cal or compound bow, fishing pole and gig. It's more difficult than one would think.

That would defiantly fall under bush lore. My biggest issue is finding and gathering carbs for energy. I am no Bear Grylls.

EpitomeOfNoviceGOLD Member
Putting the "FUN" in fundamental since 1981
787 posts

Posted:
*has slept in a tent for one whole weekend last year for the first time and loved it!!!*

LOL I've got nothing hardly, but am a marksman with a compound crossbow and enjoy target shooting. The one time I went fishing I cried when I actually caught a fish (I was like 10) so I haven't been since then. I do love long outdoor festivals in the psytrance scene and day excursions although I'm much more at home in the ocean and diving which is a whole separate thread I think. tongue2

I grew up on the water and love being a fishie which is kinda outdoorsy I think. yes

~Rock on!~

"As the pattern gets more intricate and subtle, being swept along is no longer enough"-Waking Life

(All you RLers this is epitome_of_lame *waves hello*)

WoodlandAppleBRONZE Member
addict
474 posts

Posted:
I camp ALOT, and this sort of stuff is my bread and butter. SO any specific questions and I can give you more specific advice (eg. best ways to waterproof packs, gear advice etc)

I think IT all depends on what you want to get out of the trip, what are the environmental concerns and stuff.

I mean a great way to save weight is to bivvy, but thats not always practical. Are you talking minimal impactpractices or a hunting trip cause that will dictate alot of the equipment you bring?

sticks and stones my break my bones, but ski patrol will save me.

brenonfire413SILVER Member
Fire Spinner Exarch
514 posts

Posted:
I plan on going to the Ozarks here in a week or two for a few days. Do some swimming, go cave exploring I dunno. It would be awesome to see New Mexico again this fall. Epic vistas!

@ Woodland Apple: Mmkay, can you recommend a decent stove I can fuel with the same kerosene I spin with? Aside from making a tin can burner, which are okay but I don't mind paying for good gear. Might as well kill two birds with one stone and not carry two fuels.

"Are you sure it's safe to drink bleach?"
"Yes, bleach is 90% water, we are 90% water, therefore: we are bleach."
-Nathan Explosion, Metalocalypse

FugeeBRONZE Member
Cooler than bubblegum!
2,501 posts

Posted:
WA: You more or less asked for this...(I'll try to keep it simple and specific to up coming needs)

45 litre Alice pack: Problem - Cannot find a decent waterproofing spray, so I end up with added weight from saturation. I'd like to salvage this pack BC it sits right, doesn't shift and will carry my varying needs in 3 to 4 stone. My breakaway is golden.

Compression sack: I am hard on my gear, finding a quality sack for my bed roll, hammock and canvas is difficult.

Recommendations for boots are always welcome.

It's hard to know what to be specific about. Water logged pack and a decent compression sack are my 2 biggest issues. I will offer up how I do some things and what I use, mayhap you will find something you can offer advice on.

Meals: I dehydrate everything and put it together, with the best nutritional value for my needs. Finding recipes for trail meals can also be difficult.

I cook only at night over a bios stove using approx. 60ml of methanol, another 60 if I have to boil my water. I boil enough water for tea and breaky. I throw water in an insulated mug with what have you, and in the a.m. all I need is a spoon. Snacks and lunch are always OTG.

My tramps are always opportunistic. I carry a 22cal rifle(heaviest item), and fillet knife, in case of bunny and a desert eagle in case of bear attack(heaven forbid). I don't make a wood fire unless it's a designated pit. Outside of that I would say, minimal impact.

Break away(day pack): Necessities - Minimal first aid kit(eg. plasters, chaffing cream, blister treatments), emergency hand radio, torch, fire starter, poncho, socks, emergency blanket, glow sticks, knife, MREs, ect. I'm not certain what should or shouldn't be in a break away. Recommendations are also welcome here.

FugeeBRONZE Member
Cooler than bubblegum!
2,501 posts

Posted:
Opps!

Bren: I think this stove is AWESOME! I think you can use your kero in it. Check it out this old guy and his gear.

Bios demo

Two part video on how to make a Bios
Part 1

Part 2

I can make you one next time I get my hands on the bottles.

Also, I saved you a few jars of preserves and I have all of your personal info Muhahaha....

addict
474 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: brenonfire413
@ Woodland Apple: Mmkay, can you recommend a decent stove I can fuel with the same kerosene I spin with? Aside from making a tin can burner, which are okay but I don't mind paying for good gear. Might as well kill two birds with one stone and not carry two fuels.

THere isnt alot of high quality stoves that use Kero, your best best is to go into a camping store and look around shrug

This will take Kero: MSR Whisperlite International But to be honest you would have to clean it out every night.

THis stove works best with Shellite, so if you burn with that then this is the stove for you (disclaimer: MSR stoves are amazing, but are tempermental and require lots of maintainence)

addict
474 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Refuge CrewWA: You more or less asked for this... footinmouth

Quote:
45 litre Alice pack: Problem - Cannot find a decent waterproofing spray, so I end up with added weight from saturation. I'd like to salvage this pack BC it sits right, doesn't shift and will carry my varying needs in 3 to 4 stone.

use a pack liner inside your pack. Dont worry about the waterproof spray - useless.

I use: pack liner This is made out of Sil, which is ultra lightweightand looks too flimsy when you first see it. But if you think you might tear it then go the next model down which is heavier but more durable.

If you dont/cant spend the money then you can buy a dead dog bag (serious) from your local vets as an alternative, or orange garbage bags. (bright colours are best so you can see in your pack.)

Next option is a pack cover
but I dont use these too much, they have the bonus of protecting your actual pack, but you have to take it on and off which is frustrating.
Quote:
Compression sack: I am hard on my gear, finding a quality sack for my bed roll, hammock and canvas is difficult.
I use this for my sleeping bag: Event Stuff sac This is waterproof, durable and breathable. It has one way vents in it so you can push all the air out but it still remains waterproof (I have tested this by fully submerging it in a lake) TO further waterproof your sleeping gear, you can put it in a garbage bag and then into this stuff sac.

Pretty much everything I put in my pack is in a drysack, which is then put in my pack liner. My favourite sacs are :
most expensive
medium
cheapest

or this

and canvas stuff is uber heavy,so I would ditch that for something lighter.

Quote:
Recommendations for boots are always welcome.
It really depends on what you are after, and what shape your feet are.

My hiking boots are: these only 10 years old so really dont look like these.

You generally have 2 options. Leather or synthetic. If you go leather the best is one piece, they are heavy, more robust, long lasting but long to break in.

Synthetic best is generally GoreTex, lighter, easier to break in but dont last as long and are easier to maintain.

Quote:
Meals: I dehydrate everything and put it together, with the best nutritional value for my needs. Finding recipes for trail meals can also be difficult.
meh. anything you cook at home you can cook out bush. especially since you dehydrate. The key is your stove. A better stove allows you to cook more things. Proper nutrition is overrated, particularly if your not going out long, just make sure you eat enough for your energy levels. Good food in the bush is all about time and effort.I loathe meth stoves, they have low heat, take a stupid amount of time to cook and leaves crap on the bottom of the pots.

Quote:
Break away(day pack): Necessities - Minimal first aid kit(eg. plasters, chaffing cream, blister treatments), emergency hand radio, torch, fire starter, poncho, socks, emergency blanket, glow sticks, knife, MREs, ect. I'm not certain what should or shouldn't be in a break away. Recommendations are also welcome here.

whatever you need to survive a few days. I would add to the above pen and paper, a whistle maybe a spare compass and a tarp(or something that can be used as a shelter)

I also carry: thermal liner

and one of these in place of the radio: SPOT device mainly because in Aus, radio's and other EPIRBS are pretty useless

I wouldnt take extra socks, but then I know I dont get blisters and I can keep my feet dry and have good boots. I would also probably take a down jacket. But then the day pack starts getting pretty heavy.

addict
474 posts

Posted:
also, if your gear is always breaking then its probably how you are treating it. Or your gear is cheap and crap.

Outdoor gear does need to be treated with a certain degree of love, particularly if your spending big bucks on it.

JuggleSeanGOLD Member
Ooops
116 posts

Posted:
Hello friends,

I am an avid "backpacker" and have tried a lot of different gear over the years. My favorite stove is the Jet Boil, super fast and efficient, compact, plus just darn right cool (https://www.jetboil.com/). You do not need to carry much fuel because it is so efficient.
Also, if you are worried about weight, but don't like bivvy sacks and sleeping on the ground, try a one man hammock. I have really enjoyed hammock sleeping over the years, of course you need some trees to tie it up, so it depends on where you are hiking. Good luck and safe travels!

Groovy

addict
474 posts

Posted:
hey OhioSean, if you like the Jetboil then you would love this reactor

The main problem with these stoves are they are expensive as you have to buy the specific pots, only run on gas so horrible in cold and altitude,

and also bad for the environment because you have to throw away the canisters when you are done.

But great stoves, windproof and idiotproof.

JuggleSeanGOLD Member
Ooops
116 posts

Posted:
The reactor looks sweet, a little larger and heavier than the jet boil (1.7L vs. 1L, 532g vs. 425g). Indeed the Jet Boil is expensive ($99 USD to get started), but after using several different stoves over the past ten years, it has been worth the money. I have found the propane (iso-pro) mix fuel to work fine on altitudes/weather found on the AT, but certainly with lesser performance as you go up and temp goes down. I tested it for the first time on Mt. Rogers, VA (~6500 ft.) at about -20 degrees F in mid winter. Made some noodle soup and melted some ice for water (rough trip). It started up after three static electric ignition attempts. The fuel cans are recyclable, and you do not have to worry about spilling any fuel. I sound like a salesman...

Groovy

addict
474 posts

Posted:
^^^

Really? cause you cant recycle the cans in Aus. They tell you they can but they cant. THey get thrown out at the recycle place ..

Jetboils are awsome, I prefer the MSR whisperlite int. cause you can use many different fuel types, is cheaper, the bottle is refillable and it works amazing at altitude and cold. But hard to control flame heat (no real simmer) harder to use and harderto maintain.

I have both a jetboil and whisperlight as well as a few others. I demoed the reactor in the snow last week and it outperforms the jetboil, but it does chew through the gas a little quicker and is more expensive (in Australia at least)

addict
474 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: OhioSean. I tested it for the first time on Mt. Rogers, VA (~6500 ft.)

I know this is nitpicky, but are you sure, cause Im pretty sure Mt ROgers is smaller than Mt Washington NH which sits just over 6000 ft.

Were you talking about the elevation or the prominance?

JuggleSeanGOLD Member
Ooops
116 posts

Posted:
oops, typo. should have put ~5500 ft. (actually 5729 ft.) and what a difference 1000 ft. really is too. Clingmans Dome in TN is probably the highest point on the AT, which is around 6500 ft. I believe Mt. Rogers is the tallest hill in VA, and probably the tallest hill between TN and NH. But yes, thank you for the correction.

Groovy

FugeeBRONZE Member
Cooler than bubblegum!
2,501 posts

Posted:
Thanks for all the input WA.

addict
474 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: OhioSean But yes, thank you for the correction.

lol, not really a correction, I was just a bit confused. I thought you were talking about the prominance because I know it is more substansial than the actual elevation, which is why I know about Mt. Rogers in the first place.

I think the more correct reply is its still bloody big, the temps where still bloody cold, and your jetboil is amazing smile

addict
474 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Refuge CrewThanks for all the input WA.

no worries

natasqiaddict
489 posts

Posted:
I slept in a tent every night for 3 month when I did Africa.
I was SOOO sick of it by the end... put up the tent, put down the tent, put up the tent, put down the tent.. GGGRRR

addict
474 posts

Posted:
I just bought a new tent today bounce2

linky

Im heading out on a 9 day back country ski trip tomorrow, so I get to test it out:)

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
^^^^ are you sure that tent can take snow? looks like a 3-season to me. Still, back country skiing teh awesome. frikken jealous!

I bought an alpine 4-season tent a while back on special and never made it into an alpine area (at least in winter) hehe. this is similar to the one I bought;

https://www.sierradesigns.com/p-146-mountain-meteor-3.aspx

Still it saved our asses when we were in storms in Germany...we watched other peoples tents smashed flat and flying through the sky from the inside of our tent! smile

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Side you Nat... got sooo tired of living out of a tent... especially when it is cold and damp outside, not to speak of raining or storm... I really stopped to be an outdoor enthusiast, facing Northern European climates. The ads promise a lot about "waterproof"... heck if it is raining really heavy and you end up in a puddle or stream, there goes your proofing. Even campers (vans) are a painer in cold/rainy climate (of which we had plenty in Germany prior to global warming wink )

As to the cookers: gas should be lighter to transport, no? And the shops should recycle the canisters... not sure if they "can´t" or they just "don´t" because of the "hassle".

Personally I preferred campfires (conditions and regulations permitting)... it took much longer to set up the camp and certainly affects the journey because it also needs to be broken down (leaving no traces)...

Spinning fire on a hike? I´m no friend of recreational firespinning any more... unless it´s for a ceremony I resort to "dry spinning" only.

Great ressource of information here - great thread hug

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

addict
474 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Pyrolific^^^^ are you sure that tent can take snow? looks like a 3-season to me. Still, back country skiing teh awesome. frikken jealous!

Its four seasons, mainly because its free standing and has the cross bracing poles, but its defiantly not a snow tent exactly. But you really dont need much more in Australian alps most of the time. But it is low profile so good for high wind and storms. You just have to be better at pitching it and maintaining your camp (ie. good snow walls etc)

Originally Posted By: firetomAs to the cookers: gas should be lighter to transport, no?

yeah, but you also have to take into consideration that the gas canisters can be heavy, and gas is not as efficient as shellite so you have to carry more. plus the actual gas cookers tend to be heavier (unless you use a pocket rocket type)

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
love this thread, but never have enough time to read it all!

i walked the Camino de Santiago de Compostella in april, fun walk with all the perks of nightly beds!

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

FugeeBRONZE Member
Cooler than bubblegum!
2,501 posts

Posted:

Non-Https Image Link

Yep! I just bought it! I hope my boobs look that good in it....