Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > What are you working on now?

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ...
VampyricAcidSILVER Member
veteran
1,286 posts

Posted:
Kinda scared about starting this thread cos i have a bad history of starting thread that already exist BUT i have done an extensive search and im pretty sure that this thread is completely new!!

i was just out in the garden having a bit of a spin, and i thought "hmmm i wonder what other people are trying to learn at the moment" and decided it would be agreat insight into the future of poi and where people were heading, and serve as inspiration to people who are a bit stuck. There is the obvious "oooh ive just learnt this" thread stuck at the top, but i thought it'd be good to hear what problems people are having with the moves while they are learning them, and how the over come them so other people can look and discover ways they might not have thought of.

so start your replies with "This Week I Am Mostly Learning....."

This Week I Am Mostly Learning.....3bt btb weaves, reverse5bt weave, and trying to work out 6bt TTN aswell as forward7bt weave. Problems?? loads, but these moves ( wink):
3btbtb weave, i keep hitting myself in the head, but im slowly getting the timing down,
Reverse 5bt, my wrists dont seem to like it, still working on timing, again keep hitting myself in the head ubbrollsmile
6btTTN again, the wrists are complaining, and the timing keeps going off
Forward7bt, i got a few beats the otehr night but i lost it now frown confused

Proudly Owned By The BMVC

Are You Sniffing My Mitten?

droidBRONZE Member
stranger
19 posts

Posted:
Over the past couple weeks I've started playing with crossers, wall plane CAPs, chase stalls, and 1.5s. My goal is to use crossers as an introduction to the BTB dimension and follow with waist-wraps, weaves etc. It's an area of my spinning that I haven't worked on much up until this point.

CAPs are super fun to play with and I'm also gradually exploring the various ways to turn with the wheel plane CAP No.2. Drex's Tech Blog is proving to be an invaluable resource!

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Heh. I have most of them up to about 180 saved on disk somewhere.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

thirteenBRONZE Member
The Death Card
195 posts

Posted:
got my triquetra extension wall-plane hybrid looking good in the one direction. very excited about that. now to get the other direction...

The dawn has come
And the wine will run
And the song must be sung
And the flowers are melting
In the sun

droidBRONZE Member
stranger
19 posts

Posted:
Nice work thirteen! I need to work on my triquetras. I'm not quite as comfortable in one direction as the other and I need to improve my switching.

I've been working on flow quite a bit this week. Taking a lot of inspiration from Rastaxel (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUmidbeumy0). I'm struggling for consistency with my BTB 3 beat but I'm making progress slowly. Also have crossers down and will have crosser extensions nailed by tomorrow. Waist-wraps are next smile Oh and my LED Ninja poi should be arriving in a couple weeks! I am beyond excited! grin

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
owner of the group property
1,277 posts

Posted:
I don't know what to work on now! I could stand to learn more inversiony stuff, but what kind? There remain hybrids I could be better with... but they're not thrilling me. I HAVE TECH POI ENNUI!

Maybe playing with my clubs when they get here will freshen things up...

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

thirteenBRONZE Member
The Death Card
195 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: droidNice work thirteen! I need to work on my triquetras. I'm not quite as comfortable in one direction as the other and I need to improve my switching.

I've been working on flow quite a bit this week. Taking a lot of inspiration from Rastaxel (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUmidbeumy0). I'm struggling for consistency with my BTB 3 beat but I'm making progress slowly. Also have crossers down and will have crosser extensions nailed by tomorrow. Waist-wraps are next smile Oh and my LED Ninja poi should be arriving in a couple weeks! I am beyond excited! grin

thanks! good luck with your triquetra smile it's one of my favorite patterns and learning it really improves your mode switching, antispin, and extensions.

The dawn has come
And the wine will run
In the sun

droidBRONZE Member
stranger
19 posts

Posted:
Welp I've got triquetra mode switches down now which feels great. I usually have a couple main patterns/ideas that I'm learning at any given time and then several secondary areas of practice. Right now one of my secondary areas is the reverse triquetra. Crosser extensions and variations have been bumped down to secondary.

Right now my primary focus is body tracing drills. Leo has an awesome drill breakdown (https://youtu.be/GMy-0_9m-5A) and I also found Alien Jon's body tracing class notes helpful (https://youtu.be/Z7FGPcKjVZ0). Even after one afternoon of practice I can feel significant improvements in my play. For example, waist wraps feel so much smoother. If you guys/girls know of any other body tracing-related tutorial vids please share smile

thirteenBRONZE Member
The Death Card
195 posts

Posted:
just started exploring s-s-s-snaking... LOVE it.

The dawn has come
And the wine will run
In the sun

adeathlyauraGOLD Member
The Poi Spinning Undead
173 posts

Posted:
I've just started exploring snaking too, thirteen. It's a must for body tracing and looks amazing. Also working on more flower turns, foot work, and plane bending.

Question everything.

adeathlyauraGOLD Member
The Poi Spinning Undead
173 posts

Posted:
Toroid flowers!!!!! These things are awesome. A poi spinner at Freezerburn kind of blew my mind with these, so I decided to get started on learning them. Almost have it down with one poi, so now I need to work on making flowers out of them with two.

Question everything.

droidBRONZE Member
stranger
19 posts

Posted:
Good work guys! Sounds super exciting grin Unfortunately I've tweaked my shoulder so I haven't been able to spin these last two days frown Super frustrating but I'm using the down time to find more resources online.

Please let me know if you have links to any body tracing tutorials. The best I've found so far are from Leo and Alien Jon (linked above), as well as Mel's workshop videos part 1 and 2 which are in Russian but still super helpful (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGu4j9i9F_8) (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsSWSHMPDUc). He has a mind meltdown tracing transition at the end of the second part which loves super smooth and slick. Have fun!

adeathlyauraGOLD Member
The Poi Spinning Undead
173 posts

Posted:
Leo's video on component reels for body tracing is immensely helpful. Alien Jon's is too, but I'm working on getting the reels down before I really get started with body tracing. Drex has some pretty helpful videos on it too.

Question everything.

thirteenBRONZE Member
The Death Card
195 posts

Posted:
spent nearly my whole practice session today working on poise and footwork, mostly just polishing up my basic circular stepping turns and eliminating unnecessary steps/wobbling/loss of balance/over-compensation. it was a nice change of pace and it's something I really need to work on more.

The dawn has come
And the wine will run
In the sun

droidBRONZE Member
stranger
19 posts

Posted:
That sounds like time well-spent thirteen smile I'd definitely like to incorporate some basic martial arts patterns into my spinning in the next few months. I know that Nicky Evers has focused a lot on tai chi movements in his flow.

adeathlyauraGOLD Member
The Poi Spinning Undead
173 posts

Posted:
Yesterday, my entire practice session was spent working on foot work, under the legs, and orbitals. I'm working on too many things at once. >.<

Question everything.

droidBRONZE Member
stranger
19 posts

Posted:
I'm working on orbitals too! I'm currently having a lot of trouble getting out of them but I think I'll figure it out once I develop a feel for the motion.

thirteenBRONZE Member
The Death Card
195 posts

Posted:
footwork practice was time well-spent indeed, droid. did more today and I think I'll be working on this on and off for a while.

I've working on orbitals lately too, good luck with those smile so difficult, but so rewarding when you do it. I can't pull them off well or consistently but I'm slowly learning how to feel that middle point and they are improving... emphasis on slowly wink

The dawn has come
And the wine will run
In the sun

adeathlyauraGOLD Member
The Poi Spinning Undead
173 posts

Posted:
I've almost learned that "dodging daggers" under the legs move. This has frustrated me for quite a while. >.<

Question everything.

thirteenBRONZE Member
The Death Card
195 posts

Posted:
my hat's off to you. UTL is something I've barely started working on!

I have so much on my plate right now but I'm still obsessed with footwork. I just figured out pirouettes last night, literally right before bed, so I'll have a lot to play with tonight.

The dawn has come
And the wine will run
In the sun

adeathlyauraGOLD Member
The Poi Spinning Undead
173 posts

Posted:
Under the legs is hard, to say the least. Drilling with one poi makes it a lot easier though.

I think that's excellent, thirteen. grin More poi spinners need to work on movement. Pirouettes are nice. I can only do them with hip reels though. What have you been doing pirouettes with?

Question everything.

thirteenBRONZE Member
The Death Card
195 posts

Posted:
I just started pirouettes so I learned hip reels last night. need to iron them out, but I've got the idea. gonna learn shoulder reel pirouettes next. and I think I'm gonna work on same-time opposite pirouettes since they have some similar properties to split-time same-direction.

The dawn has come
And the wine will run
In the sun

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Try long arm pirouettes without poi!

This is a video I made a while back to demonstrate this one.

The BEST part about learning pirouettes like this, though is that when you are getting your boogie on to your favourite musics you can bust out a nifty little pirouette so you can do poi in your head without aaaaanybody knowing about it. wink

hug

thirteenBRONZE Member
The Death Card
195 posts

Posted:
hey thanks for the link. I actually do those as a stretching warm-up for poi, and sometimes when I'm at work or somewhere else and can't spin... way ahead of ya!

still solidifying my rightward hip pirouette but it's looking good, so I'm beginning to work on leftward pirouettes. the dream is to learn those, then learn shoulder pirouettes in both directions, then extend those to 1.5 rotation pirouettes so I can chain them together (it sounds confusing but it makes sense - search "yuta pirouette" on youtube). I also want to learn to chain leftward and rightward hip pirouettes together, which shouldn't be too hard since they start and end in the same mode poi-wise; the only thing that changes is the footwork.

that's the dream, anyway... I am easily distracted, so we'll see how far I take this wink

The dawn has come
And the wine will run
In the sun

thirteenBRONZE Member
The Death Card
195 posts

Posted:
oh, also: has anyone else ever noticed that if you give up on something, keep practicing other stuff, and come back, you'll have an easier time with whatever it was you were working on?

example: I was working on BTB weaves. couldn't do them for the life of me. I gave up months ago and decided to practice other stuff. I just tried them again last night and I can do them now smile they're not perfect, but they're MUCH better.

I have to say, that is so motivating - to know that as long as you practice, even if you don't FEEL like you're getting better, you definitely are smile

The dawn has come
And the wine will run
In the sun

droidBRONZE Member
stranger
19 posts

Posted:
Right on thirteen! I know exactly what you're talking about haha the same thing happened to me with BTB weaves. I was getting crazy frustrated and left them for a while and now they're easy. That's what I really love about poi - the growth in your ability occurs in a non-linear fashion. smile Practice, practice, practice!

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
owner of the group property
1,277 posts

Posted:
That's actually kind of a universal feature of everything I learn. Forget about it for a week, come back to it, suddenly it's cake.

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Even proofs?

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

nupoCarpal \'Tunnel
9,576 posts

Posted:
-tracing
-liquid spinning
-'no cross-over' aka reel spinning
-more turning and 360's
-more CAP's

thirteenBRONZE Member
The Death Card
195 posts

Posted:
finally starting to get a feel for orbitals! I never thought the day would come. still have a long way to go to be comfortable with them but at least they're beginning to work out for me.

The dawn has come
And the wine will run
In the sun

RuzeBRONZE Member
stranger
18 posts

Posted:
I learned some contact poi, specifically arm rolls, about a month ago (inner, outer, toss to roll). Now i'm working on incorporating them into my performance without isolating them as their own section of a routine.

Page: ...