Forums > Help! > Quick Question - DIfferent fuels and Hair Singing

Login/Join to Participate

BlackQuiltBRONZE Member
stranger
19 posts

Posted:
(Preemptive apology if this is a common question)

I was just wondering if certain fuels are less likely to singe your hair on brief contact. The only fuel I've bought so far is white gas and that singes hair nearly instantly. I take it because it's such a hot burning gas. The first spin I ever had at this festival the guy dowsed the poi in some anonymous fuel he had in a gas can. In the morning I could see where I bumped my forearms with the fire and no hair was singed off.

So does (tiki?) torch fuel or any other fuel burn at a lower temp and not immediately singe hair? I honestly don't want singed patches of hair on my arm or beard, but I also dislike wearing protective clothing.

Trees are the Answer

triptricianSILVER Member
UFO Spotting
350 posts

Posted:
Go to the articles section of this site various info regarding fuels. here is a link to the "Which Fuel" https://www.homeofpoi.com/articles/WhichFuel.php

would rather have a bottle-in-front-of-me than a frontal lobotomy

"The dangers of life are infinate and among them is safety"(geothe)

BlackQuiltBRONZE Member
stranger
19 posts

Posted:
Yeah, I read that before I bought fuel for the first time. No where in there those does it specify about how quickly it burns hair. I guess I'll just try the tiki torch fuel and find out.

Trees are the Answer

KhaosSILVER Member
2 words "Laser Poi" The conversation just ended .
25 posts

Posted:
look for burn temperatures online or less energetic fuels. Hair burns quickly because it hot.

We who know chaos do not fear it. We Embrace it and control it.

Flint_413GOLD Member
Fire Artist and Hooper
181 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: BlackQuilt(Preemptive apology if this is a common question)

I was just wondering if certain fuels are less likely to singe your hair on brief contact. The only fuel I've bought so far is white gas and that singes hair nearly instantly. I take it because it's such a hot burning gas. The first spin I ever had at this festival the guy dowsed the poi in some anonymous fuel he had in a gas can. In the morning I could see where I bumped my forearms with the fire and no hair was singed off.

So does (tiki?) torch fuel or any other fuel burn at a lower temp and not immediately singe hair? I honestly don't want singed patches of hair on my arm or beard, but I also dislike wearing protective clothing.

Okay, no probs on the common question its good to know. But as far as which fuel will or will not singe your hair I can answer that right now. All fuel will singe ur hair. Its not the fuel thats the problem its teh fire. Unless you maybe graze it with a REALLY cool burning fuel (like alcohol but dont use that to spin with), you will singe ur hair. Its just a fact of fire spinning.

So wet it down, pull it up and spin away grin

If you can't stand the heat, get out of my way.

triptricianSILVER Member
UFO Spotting
350 posts

Posted:
well said flint, happy spinning. I didnt mean to sound short or rude in that first post it was a little rushed as i am at work. hope all goes well for you Black Quilt

would rather have a bottle-in-front-of-me than a frontal lobotomy

"The dangers of life are infinate and among them is safety"(geothe)