Page:
kikiasaumiBRONZE Member
I know where you spin
15 posts

Posted:
Just a fun thread. describe a move, being as descriptive or vague as you wish to be, and if applicable 'name the move' above your post.

I'm new as far as how many moves I know so I'll hope someone more skilled than me can get this going smile

Have fun!

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
The thing where the poi spin in circles! I love that one grin

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

liquidtrancei dream in circles...
336 posts

Posted:
lol, sounds like fun, still a lot of moves&stuff in poi that are so new they don't have a name as such, just a long title of their component parts describing spin type, direction etc. On the other hand how bout we make this thread somewhere to thrash out ideas for names to complex moves? finally cutting down the massive descriptive hybrid titles to shortened nicknames...?
eg 'triquetra' is a commonly used name for a trifoil vs lv.1 extension hybrid...

to get the ball rolling how bout calling an isolation vs. horizontal cateye a big brother eye (or something related)
just a thought... smile

edit, that might already have a name, just an idea...
EDITED_BY: liquidtrance (1269898779)

even chuck norris can't pin you down if your on fire

2,280 posts

Posted:
Ok I jave an idea, let's knock off certain groups of moves at a time, like since you started with cateye v. isolation hybrid. I think we should first come up with some rules for termilogy of hybrids, like a prefix or suffix to add on or something in the middle of the name that is really short and one means hands together, and one means hands opposite (hand follows poi).

How's that for a start wink

TeamoGOLD Member
Almost again
124 posts

Posted:
Isn't that already the distinction between hybrid vs. antibrid?

But yes, I think prefixes like that are a good idea.

E: After rethinking this, is it a good idea to use rules when coming up with "pet names", after all? I mean, "Mercedes" doesn't say a damn thing about what kind of a hybrid it is, but it's still a fun, descripitive name for the pattern.
If one wants to know how a move is done, that's what we have all the other familiar names for (hybrid, antibrid, antispin, inspin, isolated etc..), which are combined to create a detailed description of how a move looks. So they kinda work like prefixes and suffixes in and of themselves. But that isn't really what pet names are for, are they? They're just supposed to be fun.

So yah, on with the original intention of the thread, I'm all for "big brother eye" tongue2 . Though might I suggest "sheep eye", since sheep actually have the horizontal iris (dunno if it's technically an iris, but you know what I mean...)?
EDITED_BY: ReVo (1269902936)

336 posts

Posted:
i think having individual terms for hands apart/hands together and the like might be overcomplicating things for now, I think coming up with a name for the pattern itself should be enough for now, prefixes can be added but for now for the really techy side of it but I think it would be more practical to name patterns as a whole and maybe in 6months or so a good shorthand terminology will evolve for specifying the finer points of timing etc...

I'm just fed up of trying to convey in words a move which takes a short paragraph to describe confused eek
EDITED_BY: liquidtrance (1269902491)

TeamoGOLD Member
Almost again
124 posts

Posted:
Yah, Liquid beat me to my edit.. *ninja'd*

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
owner of the group property
1,277 posts

Posted:
I'm still searching for a new combo I can call "the astroglide". And when I find it, you are all obligated to keep that name for it tongue2

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

336 posts

Posted:
hahaha

2,280 posts

Posted:
wow, i want to learn it. It's not found yet, but I want to anyway just so I can say I can do the Astroglide. Sounds like a sexy dance move, so the move has to look sexy. Maybe that Nevisoul style beatswitch roll, it's kind of a sexy lookin move tongue2

MidkiffBRONZE Member
shadow stranger
462 posts

Posted:
you mean like the lube astroglide?

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able, and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" - Epicurus

2,280 posts

Posted:
lol, is that really a lube?

MidkiffBRONZE Member
shadow stranger
462 posts

Posted:
yes its called astroglide rofl

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able, and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" - Epicurus

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
owner of the group property
1,277 posts

Posted:
Yup, naming it after the lube.

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

LyeFate Keeps Telling Me To Stop
270 posts

Posted:
The moves I've been playing with are the opposite of spinning.

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
I prefer descriptive names. Just for what it is worth.

I see nothing wrong with calling 30 (different?) moves a hybrid, since the differences are fairly obvious if you are interested enough. If you want to be more specific, spell it all out.

If someone came up to me and asked to learn a big brother eye or a sheep eye or whatever, I would look at them in complete bewilderment. Cat-eye I can live with since it has become fairly common as shorthand.

I point-blank refuse to turn my poi hobby into stamp-collecting or taxonomy. tongue2

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

2,280 posts

Posted:
Yeah, the normal naming system is very straight-forward, but it's so hard to tell someone what the is and you pull out a name that is 20 words censored long!

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
I like the longer names, too. The shorter names are often limiting.

4-5 petal triquatra anyone? A lot of people don't even think of this... and its just as easy as a trifoil(2:1 ratio) antispin, extended(1:1 ratio) same direction spin hybrid.

hug

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
Been thinking a bit more about this. It just does not work if you attempt to use something other than descriptive names.

For example: There are 64 basic compound circles (flowers) made up of:
arms - 2 directions, two timings (8 combinations)
poi - 2 directions, two timings (8 combinations as well)

Some are going to be wall- and some wheel-plane since arms do not always bend or pass through each other quite how we would like, but there is room for variations on the basic 64 anyways (for example: same time, same direction arms can easily swap sides).

So, just to describe flowers, you need 64 distinct names. Add in the complexity of swapping sides or doing flowers in the buzzsaw plane and you suddenly have well over 100 names needed. And this is before we even touch on how many petals (something most would feel is fundamental to describing a distinct flower move [at least, I do, when I want a distinct flower]) are in the flower, bearing in mind that you can have different numbers of petals in each hand. Oh yes, you can do flower moves atomically as well.
Admittedly without crunching the numbers properly, this gives me: 64 (base) + 64 (do in buzzsaw) + 32 (swapping sides on wall-plane flowers, which could be doubled if you swap the other way) + gods alone know how many variations on number of petals
All in all, well over 500 distinct moves by a simple estimate. All of which will need names. Have fun taxonomists!

And do not get me started on hybrids.

You could argue that I am looking at this in too fine a level of detail, but I feel that a flower wherein arms are split-time same direction, poi are split-time, same direction, anti-spun and one wherein arms are split-time same direction and poi are same-time same direction (note that only one variable changed) are distinct enough that they should be given different distinct names. Of course, this is to other spinners, laypeople would probably not be able to pick up the difference and quite frankly, I doubt 99% of them would even care.

If anyone still wants to give non-descriptive names to everything, feel free. tongue2

I will admit that some of these flowers are more common than others, but unless they are *very* common, I see no reason to come up with a name for them. An example here would be a cateye, which is common enough that describing something as a cat-eye has no ambiguity, anyway a cat-eye is a slightly special case.

leospoiSILVER Member
Poi explorer
108 posts

Posted:
Flowers have existed for a while but ultimately people don't do that many flowers, things have settled to only 8 visual forms: 2 or 4 petal split same inspin, 3 or 4 petal split same antispin, 'goofy' extension vs 3 petal antispin either same or opposite, or 4 petal opposites antispin or inspin.

I think a similar thing will happen with all the hybrids.

336 posts

Posted:
@ aston
I'm not dissing the longer names, descriptive names are very useful but even if you just look at the terms triquetra, CAP, cateye etc these names didn't exist a few years ago, they just evolved over time as people used the patterns a lot, they still need definition in terms of mode/orientation/plane etc when your describing them in detail but you save yourself a lot of breath in describing the overall pattern itself. can you imagine talking about a {3 petal antispin vs extension hybrid with hands together on a wall plane with the poi in opposites} when the word triquetra would suffice? most move titles come from somewhere, even going back to when someone playing with poi or clubs or something got fed up of talking about spinning split time same direction parallel planes between their arms and decided to call it a buzzsaw.
I'm not saying do away with long names, we still need them, just that some commonly used patterns might benefit from having a nickname as we move onwards...

TeamoGOLD Member
Almost again
124 posts

Posted:
Yah, I wasn't thinking that that these short names were necessarily supposed to be more useful or needed.. I thought the purpose of this thread was just to make up names for the fun of making up names.

LyeFate Keeps Telling Me To Stop
270 posts

Posted:
I tried.

2,280 posts

Posted:
@Revo
I also think we should just make up names for fun, hence Astroglide, which I am not afraid to call that roll at all. What else would I call it? The only other thing I can think of is beatswitch roll and I'm not even sure about that one so Astroglide it is grin

336 posts

Posted:
currently I'm learning to juggle, about the only move i know so far though is 'throw the f#kin balls at the wall in frustration'...
ARGH!!!!! lol

2,280 posts

Posted:
I have no idea what different things there are for juggling, all I know is, throw things in air, catch them. Throw larger amounts of things in air, catch them. Throw something(s) very high in air, do something, catch them. And as far as I know, that's it.

ecaBRONZE Member
197 posts

Posted:
liquidtrance: try with just one ball at first, tossing it from one hand up in an arc and back down to the other. Don't focus on your hands, but on where the ball is and will be.

After that seems pretty natural, add a second ball, you'll want to toss the 2nd ball just before catching the first.

If you're after the 3-ball cascade (the typical 3 ball juggle), you'll want to toss the 2nd ball when the 1st hits the top of it's arc, and do the same for the 3rd when the second reaches the top of it's arc... Sorry if my explanations are kinda crappy... Here is a link that has some useful animations https://learnhowtojuggle.info/
. Also, if I remember right, Dube has a detailed step-by-step illustrated guide on their website.

"Think of the pussy, Weevil."
"What's a pussy-weevil?"

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
Not saying that some short names are not useful, just laying out what you are taking out of the bag here. tongue2

But I still prefer the longer names over things like triquetra and cateye.

2,280 posts

Posted:
What else can you say for a cateye?

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
1 beat 0 petal antispin?

I support the use of cateye and extension because they are special. They are very different in appearance to the other numbers of beats in their sets.

But, I must point out... the point of this thread wasn't intended to be discussing the nonclemature of poi terminology.

hug

2,280 posts

Posted:
I support short terms for a lot of things. But I like to interchange the names as best suited for the situation.

Page: