DanwoodzSILVER Member
stranger
14 posts

Posted:
Has anyone got experience with this stuff? Saw it mentioned here [Old link] Hard to believe the topic went dead! I'm looking into wire based fire poi to avoid damage from orbitals.

Haven't got my own set of fire poi yet and can't do orbitals. Want to get a set to learn but don't want to get one that's not going to last. This tech 12 sounds very interesting anyway though.

https://www.peaktrading.com/productpages/default.aspx?ProductPageId=1803

All advice and tips welcome!

MidkiffBRONZE Member
shadow stranger
462 posts

Posted:
https://www.peaktrading.com/productpages/default.aspx?ProductPageId=1410
i think aircraft cable would be better smile

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able, and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" - Epicurus

DanwoodzSILVER Member
stranger
14 posts

Posted:
That would be cool. A bit hard to tie to swivels and such though. Aint got weldin' skillz frown and would wire not allow an orbital to happen? I imagine strong wire wouldn't be flexible enough to bend at the angle required for an orbital?

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
Umm I find that proof coil chain and some oval link chain is very good for orbitals. You may want to look into that. I have no experience with wire, have never seen anyone use it, but I've had plenty say how bad it was. I think orbitals can put sort of a kink in it that wont come out or something but that's just me thinking.

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
you dont weld wire you turn the ends into loops like this....

Non-Https Image Link

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

MidkiffBRONZE Member
shadow stranger
462 posts

Posted:
well that is why you use the 3/32" aicraft cable and you have to get the crimper piece to make it stay there is no welding involved and you would have to double swivel it for orbitals but i dont know how the grip would be when you tried to tangle though

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able, and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" - Epicurus

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
would really be interesting how that stuff works out in the long run... please keep us posted on it.

as far as my experience went with any kind of ropey, metal, strands is that they don´t bend enough or rust or break at some stage, seriously being a hazard to the fingers, arms and body when spinning.

no matter how sleek the alternatives look in theory/ the beginning - chains (to me) have always succeeded in the long run...

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

MidkiffBRONZE Member
shadow stranger
462 posts

Posted:
well the only thing is the smaller aircraft cable is very flexible and very durable but i will have to buy some and put it to the test before i give a thumbs up or down

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: FireTomplease keep us posted on it.

it sure looks intriguing weavesmiley

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

JGraffSILVER Member
stranger
1 post

Posted:
Does anyone have any experience-based input on using Tech 12 (or any other Technora-based rope) for fire poi tethers? I've heard the maximum temperature that Technora rope can withstand quoted at anywhere from 400F to 932F, and I don't know how hot white gas actually burns, so I'm wary of using it because I don't want it to suddenly fray out and break at the end of a burn because heat has been building up for too long. But I figure that if you take 3/16" Technora rope (slightly thicker than Colecord) and tie two lengths between your head and your handle (doubling it prevents tangles, and also provides a backup in case one fails), that should be a totally workable setup, assuming that white gas burns at a temperature less than 400-500F ... and even then, just adding an extra quicklink between the wick and the rope should keep the temperature down low enough to maintain the integrity of the rope ... theoretically, of course.

I figure I'm going to get some 3/16" Technora rope and do some tests in as safe a manner as possible so I can figure out if it's something that can be worked with publicly. But if anyone has any experience with the stuff and can offer input, I'd love to hear it. Also, if anyone has information about the differing temperatures that common fuels burn at, that'd be good to know as well. Right now I'm using Coleman camp fuel (white gas) and if I'll need a lower-temperature fuel in order for this to be realistic, that'd clearly be important to be aware of.
EDITED_BY: JGraff (1284366891)