Forums > Social Chat > highly contraversial post about newbies.

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
right...

i have to get something off my chest that has...to be TOTALLY honest...been pissing me off..

its about new people...

...now...how can i put this..

about how EVERY SINGLE NEWBIE (in the non derogatory sense) feels obliged to post about their first fire spin.

i can remember being new (a long time ago compared to today) but i didnt post saying someting like

"i span fire for the first time today! yesss!" etc..

im sorry...but its been pissing me off....yes we all know about how amazing spinning fire for the VERY first time is...i still practically cum in my pants when i spin to be honest. I love it.

but do we REALLY need the posts about how yet again, ANOHTER person has spun for the first time. I know this is very contraversial...but this is how i feel.

and another thing ( not having a go at anyone...or anything)

in intros...in bold goddam letters for f*cks sake, does it, or does it not say.. "....witht he title being you name"...and how many people have put random stuff? like: "hello from..." or "my name is....." or "new poi" etc.

im sorry...but this is seriously getting on my tits.

i dont know if its the fact that i have had a bit to drink...but i have had these feelings whilst sober...

i know some of you wont agree with my views but i dont particularly give a flying shit. im sorry but i dont.

and another POInt that Chris form UCOF raised...about hippies and "tripping out and spinning some poi man.."

that annoys the both of us.

i sorry..

but its off my chest now

im all in favour of new poeple joining HOP nad learning spinning cos, to be blunt, its f*cking cool and i love it.

so my message is this...

BRING ON THE NEW PEOPLE, but do we REALLY need so many "i had my first spin last night" threads.

i dont give a shit if you delete this thread...but this IS how im feeling.

sorry..but its true.

genuine and and if you want to all the new people joining us every day.

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
So every thread has to be ground breaking and new and have a clear and significant contribution to the board?

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
im not saying that.

read again.

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
#Lady in red, is dancing with you... cheek to cheek.

Now then little newbies, ignore the grumpy old man

Jon you got PMT tonight.
nah
I reckon your suffering from deadly sperm build-up.
Go have a w*nk and relax man

but, be careful not to get the gush

Ok, the intro thing is a bit confusing, but its simple I *never* even read any intros that don't have the name in the title.
Dan arrr.

and as for the first burn thing. geez let them be excited, it don't cause any harm.

You could always ask NYC to start:
"the official I've just had my first burn and I'm so excited I could pee my pants" thread.

Come on jonny boy, lighten up, and make some more really fu*king hilarious posts, like you normally do, and brighten this place up, make me laugh while I'm meant to be working.
being a jaded old cynic is no fun

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
should i just delete?

cos this has been worrying me.,..

and im sorry if you dont agree with it..

but god...

AGRH!!!

GlåssDIAMOND Member
2,523 posts

Posted:
you could turn it into a joke.

post something like
"HA HA HA. April fool. "

Then maybe:
"note to self, do not make long posts on hop while drunk"

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
HA HA HA. April, May, June, July Fool

was that convinsing enough?

note to self been made.

Nathdaninjamember
271 posts

Posted:
Chill man, I can understand what your saying but every newbie has the right to get excited about there first spin...surely it'd be better to appreciate it rather than get miffed about it.

Personally it makes me smile every time I see a "first fire experience" type, even if I don't read it.

Just my two penneth anyway.

N

boing...boing...When the naive man admits his naivete, he is no longer naive.Thus, all people are regarded by society as either ignorant or a liar.Wonders never cease, as long as you never cease to wonder.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
oh god yes!

i totally agree that every new person (non derogatory again) person has the right to be excited..

cant we just have ONE OFFICAL thread for people on their first spin?

malcolm...over to you..

GlåssDIAMOND Member
2,523 posts

Posted:
thats not the way HOP works dummy.
this place is self moderating yea.
Don't make work for other people
You want something, you do something about it.
(how do you think PIP happens?)

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
argh drew....mate..

i dont know what to think about this thread anymore..

im going to leave it til morning shines...then come back when i can think.

night night everyone...inc...new people

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
I DID NOT (UNDERLINDER, BOLD, WHATDJAMACALLIT) MEAN TO OFFEND ANYONE.

Nathdaninjamember
271 posts

Posted:
I'd get quite put out if I got shuned by a pair aswell

Sorry Malc...slighlty pished and felt like lightening the mood.

...right..time for beddyboes.

boing...boing...When the naive man admits his naivete, he is no longer naive.Thus, all people are regarded by society as either ignorant or a liar.Wonders never cease, as long as you never cease to wonder.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Talking of spelling, Mr Lightning reckons there's no E in Lightning. But it looks like Mr Daninja has a differing opinion......

Meh

FlyntSILVER Member
Intrepid Penguin
5,635 posts

Posted:
mmmmm sweat food....

kidding Malcolm, we love ya!

Jon dearest, yeah, ok, maybe you have a point, but have a chill pill! (or just a bannana milkshake) There are BETTER ways to put your point accross, and call me a prude if you like, but there's better LANGUAGE to use to get your point accross.

I like the idea of the first fire spin thready thing, but who's going to read it after the first four pages? I like the idea of people posting in their intros, but WOAH! thats a lot of intros. I really dont mind all that much that newbies post their first spin experience, because, heck! its got to be one of the most important things in a spinners life.

I do however, whole-heartedly agree with the thing about people putting their names in their intro titles. It pee's me off so much when i want to search for a particular persons intro and i cant find it because it was named something like, "hi, i'm new to poi!"....

If you want to have a comment, put your name first then the comment. A good example of this is Dom's thread. It reads (i think) Dom - tall and leggy Blonde.

I'd say that was my two cents worth, but two cent peices have no monetary value here in australia anymore, so i'm going to round down,..... and oh dear. never mind...

Currently on the right side up of the world.

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
I guess you don't have to read every thread that clearly states so and so had their first fire burn......

but, it's a very exciting thing having your first burn

we seem to have a thread for learning new moves - I love that thread - even reading about people who cracked the 3 beat forward weave - its's downright inspiring

maybe, the definitive list of first fire burns is in order.....

or a good cup of tea.....

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
quote:
i dont know if its the fact that i have had a bit to drink...but i have had these feelings whilst sober...
Maybe we need an 'Official I'm far to drunk to hold coheriant conversations with my friends and they've all gone to bed anyway the lightweights, so i'll post on HoP instead' thread? I could certainly benefit from it

P.S. My intro thread is named flid and i did my first burn post in the intro thread. Don't hurt me!

KajiQuantum Theorist
564 posts

Posted:
erm.... well I'm glad that I never posted a thread like that.....

I think every one has the right to post there achievments. Not the you care about my opinion. But I'll make sure to bring it up on MSN next time. I think your spoiling it for the newbies

In the 60's people took acid to make the world weird, now the world is weird and they take prozac to make it normal again.

Nathdaninjamember
271 posts

Posted:
quote:
Flid: Maybe we need an 'Official I'm far to drunk to hold coheriant conversations with my friends and they've all gone to bed anyway the lightweights, so i'll post on HoP instead' thread? I could certainly benefit from it
I'll second that

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
number one.

I did not mean to spoil it for the newmembers.

number two.

I third the motion and countersign it. Dom..can you rubber stamp this one as well please?

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
jon, you are silly

just because something annoys you doesn't mean it's wrong, do you see?

And do you want me to put my name in the title of my intro thread? cos i'm not going to. So there

And i have occasionally 'tripped out man' while doing poi and intend to do so again, so there

now go develop some tolerance for annoyances and alcohol and post something funnier please

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Wait a minute.. How'd my name get dragged into this?

quote:
You could always ask NYC to start:
"the official I've just had my first burn and I'm so excited I could pee my pants" thread.

I'm confused. Do I have a reputation that I don't know about? Do I start inane threads?

Why me? Really? I don't even have an intro thread.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
hey Jon, it's cool cus you're allowed to like/notlike whatever you like/notlike!
just don't read 'em man!
Personally, first burn threads are cool (legal high, anyone?)- clamping down on em would be throwing out the baby with the firewater.

as for 'newbies' - I consider all firetwirlers to be in a constant state of 'learner' and would have to consider myself somehow more important than anyone else to stop that belief.

But i understand your empathy fatigue and sympathise with ya!
If anything, we should have more llama threads. more I say!!! mmm all that llama hair...

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

Nathdaninjamember
271 posts

Posted:
Llamas you say....
Llamas anyone?

Note title...cos I'm a good boy really you know;)

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

RandyBRONZE Member
42 posts

Posted:
I'm pretty much a newbie.. and I just had my first burn.. yessss!!

(ok, ok.. someone had to do it, might as well actually BE a newbie)

AchluophobiaBRONZE Member
Magical Sock Dancer
255 posts

Posted:
I didn't read through the whoale topic so please don't get mad or anything if this has already been said. Wouldn't it be a good idea to make one topic for people to post in when they have their first burn?

Eeyoremember
18 posts

Posted:
Well since UCOF gets to say his annoyance I think its only fair I get to say mine.

The either\or thread. It just pisses me off. Surely the only reason its so popular is because people want to have a high post number, in the thought that it makes them look more important than other people.

I mean surely it has only limited appeal. I mean 2885 posts, its just stupid.

Right well, anyway...

Makes you wonder really.

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
how about an 'Official I'm not drunk, just a bitter poi snob and want to rant' thread?

DioHoP Mechanical Engineer
729 posts

Posted:
I think having a definitive thread is a bad idea because it costs them the individuality aspect of the achievement. Posting on their own is a privilege and they get their moment in the spotlight that every spinner deserves. After that first burn, it's hard work to get recognized. But being another name on what breaks down to just a list of fire users takes that initial pride away from a fire dancer and turns them into just another number.

Same reason why the "just learned a new move" thread is so easily deviated from topic - it devalues the achievement.

Just my 2¥

What hits the fan is not evenly distributed.

KajiQuantum Theorist
564 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by flid:
how about an 'Official I'm not drunk, just a bitter poi snob and want to rant' thread?
I'll second that motion glares pointently at Eeyore. I like the either or thread it's a way to find out things and get to know your fellow hop'ers.

In the 60's people took acid to make the world weird, now the world is weird and they take prozac to make it normal again.

Page: