Forums > Help! > Carabiners for quick change poi heads

Login/Join to Participate

DrDrizzleBRONZE Member
Student of Life
32 posts

Posted:
So here's my question...I've got a sweet poi set a friend of mine and I made, and recently put some of those screw shut carabiners on the end for a quick change out from fire heads to balls.

Has anyone else tried this, and if so, did you like it? I'm not sure what I think...its almost like I need to add swivels or something. Looking for feedback.

There is no strong performance without a little fanaticism in the performer.

Icarus FordeBRONZE Member
Just Icarus//Spinner//Pyro//Geek
261 posts

Posted:
Possibly try some smaller screw shut carabiners with a swivel on them? That might work a bit nicer....

Ultimately, I have no idea though - I'm a staffer. tongue2

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Add the swivels to the chains above the quicklinks?

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

WoodlandAppleBRONZE Member
addict
474 posts

Posted:
It would definatly need swivels somewhere

sticks and stones my break my bones, but ski patrol will save me.

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
Carabineers can be dangerous on the end of poi. several times I have seen the heads lock together mid swing, alter direction and hit a person and in 1 instance saw a cathedral wick fly 40ft through the air to land in nearby bushes and we never found it again. (this was back about 8 years ago) even the screw lock ones aren't perfect if the chains touch or rub they can be unwound.

For quick changes I pick up a second pair of chains much safer in the long run.

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

FugeeBRONZE Member
Cooler than bubblegum!
2,501 posts

Posted:

Non-Https Image Link

Spring action key chain clasps made of brass Driz. The brass cools quickly and seems to take heat very well. Hobby Lobby has them with steal springs so they won't wear down in the heat and all of mine have lasted threw at least 2 heads.

The popcorn extends life... The popcorn expands consciousness...

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
this one which RC posted and this one ----

Non-Https Image Link

are the only ones advisable...

Note that the one RC posted (if used with fire) might get weakened and the head might bend open - whilst the screwable will retain its safety - so do your pick according to safety precautions.

The ones that won't screw are dangerous and not practicable, as certain moves with make your chains "touch and lock" each other inside certain carabiner (btdt) - sorry if that's been mentioned before.

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

WoodlandAppleBRONZE Member
addict
474 posts

Posted:
Also, if your carabiners are not locking, you could pull the head out if it slides over the gate.

sticks and stones my break my bones, but ski patrol will save me.

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
This also has to do with carabiners, but would they be a good way to convert poi to meteor while spinning? I want a way to switch between the two while spinning and carabiners came into mind.

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

DrDrizzleBRONZE Member
Student of Life
32 posts

Posted:
Thanks! You're totally right...the locking ones are a must! i lost a ball last night at work...went sailing through the bar! smile

Thanks for the help everyone!

There is no strong performance without a little fanaticism in the performer.

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Dr. D.: no worries

SoD: re. "Poi to Meteor" you wouldn't need anything special... Poibox (Andy) a friend from Munich (guess now living happily married in LA) used .... *drumroll* buttons....

Yes - ordinary (large) buttons attached as handles, interlocked they provide enough strength to hold the meteorized poi into place (even with throws... it's the pull that makes the connection sturdy)....

But then again - he's a legendary spinner... but he claims it has nothing to do with skills. Maybe you give it a shot and verification.

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
Refuge that has to be one of the scariest looking poi head attachments ever, if the chains cross it can pull the lever down and release the head, or if the spring does go the fastening is open eek

Tom - I've seen screw lock carabineers open in mid use too. the heat or the chains rubbing caused the screw to undo not 100% sure how but carabineer just opened. Probably because they are only designed to be finger tight. Would always suggest a secure fixing and a second pair of chains.

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

FugeeBRONZE Member
Cooler than bubblegum!
2,501 posts

Posted:
Mynci: It's really no more unsafe than any other. The screw Carabiners have warped and come undone on me tangled and what have you. The brass clasps haven't and they don't get super hot. I find them safer and easier to work with.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
But screwgates at least have a locking mechanisn which gives you a quick visual check that the gate is locked closed.
Those key-chain ones can be opened at any time, they don't have to work loose to become a liabilty.

Incidentally, a simpler solution is to keep the chain on each set of poi and but the quick-links at the handle end where there's less chance of being snagged open. Also, with fire, they don't get blackened and hot so you can both see if they're undone and tighten them if they do.

Personally for the sake of a few $/£/€ I'd just get another set of chains and handles and use proper fixed links.

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
Mate that fixing is scary to look at let alone use it has a prominent catch that if pulled/caught on a chain can release the flaming poi head - Wouldn't pass Fire officers fire risk assessment for use in performances - increased risk of fire flying into crowd - too high to perform. Would prefer to use a screw lock quick link or even a split ring than that, that may not over heat but has a risk of opening.

FugeeBRONZE Member
Cooler than bubblegum!
2,501 posts

Posted:
You both have valid points. I have just had better luck with the clasps not fouling up the works. As far as liability is concerned, I don't spin fire that often where it could become a liability. If I do, I am just like any sane person, my heads are secured on separate chains with quicklinks wink

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Mynci: nothing is unbreakable (except for ... wink )

I too have a screwy carabiner which will certainly break - it's from aluminum and cost me a buck... I don't expect it to last. I'm not hanging a poi to it. There is no 100% safety...

Your carabiner lasts - but your swivel breaks (they do need frequent checkup especially if made from brass)...

If you want to be safe on carabiners, go for steel... but then you may well run into a weight issue...

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: FireTomMynci: nothing is unbreakable (except for ... wink )

Bruce Willis?

FugeeBRONZE Member
Cooler than bubblegum!
2,501 posts

Posted:
It should have starred Chuck Norris!

chenchen21621stranger
1 post

Posted:
Mynci: It's really no more unsafe than any other. The screw Carabiners have warped and come undone on me tangled and what have you. The brass clasps haven't and they don't get super hot. I find them safer and easier to work with.

kauf ed hardy/ed hardy shirts/discount true religion

burningoftheclaveySILVER Member
lurking like a ninja with no camouflage..
926 posts

Posted:
Can I just say guys that checking your toys before lighting is always a good idea, whichever links you are using? (although I wouldn't use spring action key chains for the same reason mynci states) and also lessens the chances of heads/handles flying off..

on spam robots - "Burn the robot! Melt him down, and then we can make lots and lots of money from his shiiiny juices!"

Owned by Brenn smile