Forums > Videos > Dragon Staff Tutorial Video (Basic Feicha)

Login/Join to Participate

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_cVMgvqjnY

ra ra ra.

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

[ Unregistered ]addict
413 posts

Posted:
I like your paiting in the "how to make weird ball video"..

This tutorial is nice, but I like Po more..

ar, ar, ar grin

ninja

pascalhopGOLD Member
23 posts

Posted:
very nice tutorial... as always!
thanks, even i don't practice contact staff so much

entheogenGOLD Member
173 posts

Posted:
Sorry, but someone has to say it. The basic feicha base is done wrong. The rolling up is supposed to go palms up on the inside of the arm, and key really is to keep the elbow very low making the roll go as fast which is the whole point of the move. The rest of the feicha moves rely on the speed done from the base. I'm all up for inspirational new derivatives that come from warping traditional feicha moves, but shouldn't we make some kind of distinction to not create confusion?

I know it sounds like Im being stupidly nitpicky but its actually important in understanding the overall concept and philosphy of feicha. The arm position difference is right in the chinese steve with feicha but thats not the most important difference at all to the european steve. The difference is that the movement the staff makes comes solely from the base, if done right, all you should have to do is move your hand up and the staff rolls down the path back into the base with no other correctional movements.

The base actually is done (albeit very very rarely) on the other arm for all potential double feicha moves, but never in the opposite direction.

But all in all very nice tutorial and some cool ideas I hadn't thought of yet.

Sucks your not going to EJC; I don't know who taught you that slop and called it feicha but I could probably get you doing in right in like 15 minutes. Why don't you come over to Berlin?

'There are two mantras in life, yum and yuk. I choose yum.'

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Didn't I put that the base fei cha move isn't done horizontally? I thought I put that in there.... (Thou you would never really know I was doing it horizontally, my 'dragonstaff' skills are so dodgy)

I didn't even learn that move as fei-cha, (I learned it from clubs) so I am sorry if I got it wrong in that sense. I'm not sure it really makes biomechanical sense to turn your palm face up when you do it horizontally, but actually, it might be interesting to try....

I only learned the vertical version as fei-cha, and I'm still trying to keep my wrist strong and straight n order to please my teachers....
EDITED_BY: mcp (1278889970)

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

entheogenGOLD Member
173 posts

Posted:
no, only when it rolls up the arm the palm faces up, which makes the flick of the arm when you bring it back down easier. look carefully at the actual feicha footage youve got, you'll see what I mean. Technically I think the actual base is at 45 degrees, my chinese teacher couldn't actually speak a word of english, but I assume its so that you can easier transfer to both horizontal and vertical moves from it.
Either way, learn the feicha base properly before you do a tutorial out of it! And how do you not already have a proper dragon staff?

'There are two mantras in life, yum and yuk. I choose yum.'

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Yeah yeah yeah, I know how to do the vertical version like that, I just never considered that you would put your palm up in the horizontal version because it's would be a strain on your arm.

errrr....Is it just me then, that it's easier to have my palm up when my elbow is bent that when it's straight horizontally? Man, I didn't think I was that inflexible....

Dragonstaff isn't really fei-cha anyway, since it's really much slower than most feicha... it's got a little more balance in it, it makes the globetrotter soooo much easier.

Ronaldostranger
17 posts

Posted:
you made a very interesting staff in order to simulate the inertia...

msn: ronaldo_shaolin@hotmail.com<br /><br />youtube channel: