Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > Kicking poi to change direction?

Login/Join to Participate

AmathriaGOLD Member
Untouchable Coffee Goddess
17 posts

Posted:
Okay, so I've searched the forums to the best of my ability, and google for that matter, and I can't really find anything on this. I've seen it in video's and I've even played with it a few times myself (and only a few times, because I like spinning barefoot. Ow)

I hacky sack a lot and thought this would be easy. Poi is spinning, I throw my leg up, and kick the poi in the opposite direction. Sometimes it works great, othertimes I get a leg wrap. Does anyone know of a simple way to do this? Or instructions on it?

I've seen it in a couple of video's and I just don't understand why it is so obscure. Any information on this would be excellent.

I hope I put this in the right forum. Correct me if I'm wrong, please smile

MicroweBRONZE Member
Spin. Eat. Sleep. Rinse, Repeat.
24 posts

Posted:
I think if I was going to use this for a direction change, I'd do it like this..

Spinning forward: as the Poi comes down, turn your foot ~90 degrees to the appropriate side, and have the poi hit you in the ankle /side of the heel area..
As for backwards spinning I'd use the bottom part of my foot. Arch to front part of the foot, and as it comes up from the bottom, put my foot in front of it, and kind of swoop it backwards..

That's just my common sense on how it would be done..
I hope this helps in some way or another..

"There's an inverse relationship between how good something is for you, and how much fun it is."
"Idiocy is the essence of the male mind."
"Interesting. No, wait, the other thing...Tedious."

AmathriaGOLD Member
17 posts

Posted:
Yeah that's pretty much how I was thinking as well. With a little practice my aim has gotten far better and I'm not getting my legs tangled anymore. I will have to record some video's and see how it looks.

triptricianSILVER Member
UFO Spotting
350 posts

Posted:
for kicks and stuff like that check out rope dart tutorials they might give you some inspiration and you may be able to adapt the technique

would rather have a bottle-in-front-of-me than a frontal lobotomy

"The dangers of life are infinate and among them is safety"(geothe)

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
owner of the group property
1,277 posts

Posted:
I do some rope dart, and by far the easiest way to use your foot to change the direction of poi or rope dart is to aim for the cord just above the head and follow the poi's swing a little. You essentially pendulum the part below your foot, and when it starts to swing back, then you kick. You can just kick the head, but it requires much better aim and timing and is more likely to come out really sloppy.

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
I usually do a stall in front or on the side and then kick the poi

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Yeah, 2 ways really.

1) You actually kick the poi head
2) You aim for the chain just before the head, so it's more of a mini foot-wrap.

Method 2 is slightly better for the poi head (and your shoe) as it won't compress the wick quite as much.
Note that if you kick really hard, and the poi is going really fast, you may be stressing your chain/cord a little too much.

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
... resulting in your raging poi shooting right for the audience wink

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

DanwoodzSILVER Member
stranger
14 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: DurbsYeah, 2 ways really.

1) You actually kick the poi head
2) You aim for the chain just before the head, so it's more of a mini foot-wrap.

Method 2 is slightly better for the poi head (and your shoe) as it won't compress the wick quite as much.
Note that if you kick really hard, and the poi is going really fast, you may be stressing your chain/cord a little too much.
method 2 is how i've seen it done it glowstringing videos where it seems to be more common. and I found it easy to pick up to a certain degree.

brenonfire413SILVER Member
Fire Spinner Exarch
514 posts

Posted:
When I do it, basically I stall and tap it with my foot. It's the illusion of kicking the poi but the arm is still doing all the work.
EDITED_BY: brenonfire413 (1287270070)

"Are you sure it's safe to drink bleach?"
"Yes, bleach is 90% water, we are 90% water, therefore: we are bleach."
-Nathan Explosion, Metalocalypse

GodboltSILVER Member
stranger
6 posts

Posted:
be careful changing from forwards to backwards I hit myself in the eye really hard.

www.sure-fire.co.uk
EDITED_BY: Godbolt (1287357110)

We provide a range of services designed to Entertain, Educate and Promote. including spectacular shows, brand or event promotion and various skills workshops. check out our site for more info

AmathriaGOLD Member
17 posts

Posted:
I actually ended up ruining one of my beam poi by kicking it. I hacky sack a lot so aim isn't an issue when changing direction from reverse to forward.. but I've broken electrical stuff now which is sad. I don't recommend hitting the head of any LED poi. Might work good with fire poi though.. unless my shoe catches? Haha. Thank you for all the recommendations. They were much more informative than me just using my heads like dirtbags.