Forums > Advanced Poi Moves > Meltdown without the down...

Login/Join to Participate

EpitomeOfNoviceGOLD Member
Putting the "FUN" in fundamental since 1981
787 posts

Posted:
Okay I really like the meltdown thing and have seen it without the down and need some help as I think it would be good to work with. I don't want the down part because my body is not built for any crosser moves [see other threads for complaining about bust size thanks LOL]

So anyways the extension, wrap, and change direction part...

What is the best way for me to accomplish this feat from the ground up and would it be wise for me to shorten my poi (I like them really long and I spin with a slow, bounce flow if you haven't seen any of my videos if that helps describe) before I go into this? My other part I need direction in is how much is more torso turn and when do the feet need to move in the scenario?

I'm not sure the name of the variation I'm talking about but I've seen it tons and it captivates my attention with it's clean, sharpness...

~Rock on!~

"As the pattern gets more intricate and subtle, being swept along is no longer enough"-Waking Life

(All you RLers this is epitome_of_lame *waves hello*)

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
owner of the group property
1,277 posts

Posted:
So, you should be able to do a meltdown if you can do a weave and if you can manage a wheel plane spin behind your back; so long as you turn your torso with the move. Having to lift one's poi over one's boobs probably encourages good habits where meltdowns are concerned.

I can't say I understand the variation you describe, since meltdowns do not normally involve wraps or direction changes, and there's no part I would call the "down part".

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

787 posts

Posted:
It's the move (same pattern as a meltdown) that's done fully in extension. I don't know what it's called, but the how move is done in extensions and has the same rotations and all as the meltdown. I don't understand the meltdown at all so I thought the move I'm talking about would at least allow me to workout the pattern cause it's too complicated for me to get from video (my eyes aren't that good let alone my brain trying to pick up on what is happening).
EDITED_BY: EpitomeOfNovice (1277218716)
EDIT_REASON: dyslexic

~Rock on!~

"As the pattern gets more intricate and subtle, being swept along is no longer enough"-Waking Life

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
I think what you describe is either just an extended meltdown, or it's a longarm extension reel. If the latter, the difficulty is keeping the planes good on your extensions. The motion is just the same as constantly doing flower turns back & forth. If the former, then most of the basics in a meltdown tutorial still apply. Can you find a video with it? If I'm sure what it is, I'm fairly sure I can slap a tutorial together if there isn't a decent one.

787 posts

Posted:
Eh, I think I'm too fat to do this move at all... Like is that possible? I can't cross my body and clear it without my spine really contorted. frown

Do I need to be able to straight jacket before meltdowns because if so it's physiologically impossible without me making 4ft long poi chains...

*is currently uploading building block video for critique, will be back with it shortly*
EDITED_BY: EpitomeOfNovice (1277863275)
EDIT_REASON: update

~Rock on!~

787 posts

Posted:

Can this be turned into anything? It's the only have I can successfully cross my body, sorry for no sound I just submitted a claim with youtube since they love to block sound from my videos. Hit me up on the facepage for sound and let me know if there is any hope of this building block motion to become a butterfly meltdown.

Butterfly everything is easier for me so I'll start here since same direct was going to result in serious head injury! laugh3

~Rock on!~

[ Unregistered ]addict
413 posts

Posted:
I think the cat liked it grin... but I will give you some tips:

1) Make your body straight
2) Make your hands straight
3) Keeep the Poi flat

The answer is yes..

ninja

787 posts

Posted:
Oh the little cat loves it! smile

That was actually my point that without such contortion my arms are not long enough to clear my body so the "down" part (where the arms are tucked) would have to be done how I demonstrated or it's impossible.

I haven't seen a tutorial for the giant meltdown variation that is within my capability.

If my body and hands are straight the poi cannot swing at all because my fingertips can't clear my torso wrapped and tucked if ya catch meh drift... wink

~Rock on!~

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
Finally on a computer that lets me see the video--

It's hard to tell from a flat, if moving, picture, but it looks like your arms should be able to clear your waist in wheel plane. If you can cross your body well enough to do a weave, you should be able to do a meltdown, though from the video it looks like you could develop more flexibility reaching behind your back.

You don't need to be able to do anything like a full body crosser to do a meltdown. Check out Yuta's video:

You'll see towards the beginning he's spinning in wheel plane, which is about 20 times more feasible than putting a wall plane spin in front of your body from behind the back. If you can manage the three beat, wheel plane meltdown that he does towards the beginning there, you can do a full meltdown by turning back and forth with it.

If there's just no way to clear your body even in wheel plane, I'd suggest trying to pirouette then immediately pirouetting back the other way. It might have a pretty similar visual effect without requiring anything bendier than a reel.

787 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Sister ElevenIf you can cross your body well enough to do a weave, you should be able to do a meltdown, though from the video it looks like you could develop more flexibility reaching behind your back.

LOL I have to torso twist to weave or I graze my arms and shoulders the entire time, I can't do a 3 beat weave standing still because it's impossible.

If I could do it in reel form that's a start. What he was doing in the beginning of the video I simply cannot do and I'm very flexible, just not enough to make up for my bustline, plus I have short arms and not a very small waist these days LOL Age and gravity!!! *gah*

So basically I can take the idea and reconfigure it to wall plane starting from a low reel? Is that right? Because it would open up a ton of transition potential... smile *hopeful*

~Rock on!~

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
Too bad your not like me who's flexible enough to do a 9bt weave and a waistwrap type thingy thatrequires me to reach behind my back and across my front xD I've always been a pretzel laugh3

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

ExuroThe Prodigy
82 posts

Posted:
This is a video on my meltdown theory,
let me know if it helps you

You play with fire,
You're going to get burned.

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
That's the video that got me to understand meltdowns grin

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
Ditto tongue2

I understood the basic move from Derek's video, but didn't totally grok it 'til Exuro's.

787 posts

Posted:
OK, that breaks down the components in places much easier to understand piece by piece visually than what I've watched. If I can get through each step and freeze at a safe point working into a fluid motion will be a touch easier. I will give this a try for a week or two and see how it goes from here then give an update.

The brain gets it much better, time to test the body! smile

~Rock on!~