Forums > Social Discussion > Jungian Personality Typology

Login/Join to Participate

EpitomeOfNoviceGOLD Member
Putting the "FUN" in fundamental since 1981
787 posts

Posted:
Okay I thought this would be a fun thing to talk about that's easily accessible and helps everyone to get to know each other (and themselves) better. We're all different but I enjoy trying out different research worthy self intake surveys and thought I'd be fun to discuss and build some understanding about different types of people. Of course such things shouldn't be taken too seriously or in the wrong context, but are nifty kinda. grin

https://www.personalitypage.com/html/info.html

I have taken this test and it says I'm an ESTJ and think it's pretty accurate on the benefits and challenges that come along with that type. How about anyone else?

~Rock on!~

"As the pattern gets more intricate and subtle, being swept along is no longer enough"-Waking Life

(All you RLers this is epitome_of_lame *waves hello*)

WoodlandAppleBRONZE Member
addict
474 posts

Posted:
The myers briggs test questions irritate me. Mainly because I get different answers depending on situation and viewpoint. I tend to float between three different types.

The only thing that stays constant is that Im introverted

sticks and stones my break my bones, but ski patrol will save me.

787 posts

Posted:
I answered the questions in terms of first instinct and what I do in my most natural state (no stress or anything else like pressure from others and such) so I'm not sure that mine would sway much. I'm pretty straight forward and seriously have to lose my cool or be forced to not be in my usual state of self.

Interestingly enough this is very common for ESTJs and I didn't know that until reading all about the result. It appears that it's a type who is very "set in their ways" which is very funny how I go "Man, have I gotten, like.... old?????" but for years I tried to deny my nature because of the pressure from others that structure and detail oriented people are "not cool" or "no fun" but it seems part of the ESTJ loves people and fun and thrives on socializing while adhering to a very principled nature.

Maybe the 3 that you usually come up with have a more "free spirit" tendency? Or has traits that are more variable? I wonder if anyone else has had the same result you did Woodland Apple, do you know anyone else who has had the same varying results like you?

~Rock on!~

"As the pattern gets more intricate and subtle, being swept along is no longer enough"-Waking Life

georgemcBRONZE Member
Sitting down facing forward . . .
2,387 posts

Posted:
The first few times I came across these they didn't amke any sense and then I kept getting the same result and found some descriptions that actually rang true to me. I'm now firmly "a believer" in type testing (but I'm open on which one to use as there is a whole bunch of them).

With Meyers-Brigg, I'm ENTJ and it fits my "Leader" type nature very well.
But thing to remember with it is that it's not necessarily the "true you" but it is probably the true "how you predominantly act in public" you. Even though I am "E" (Extrovert) I am very prone to sitting back and being reflective and taking off by myself in the wop wops to help the recharging which is more "I" (Introvert) behaviour.

When I realised that, it made me feel better about "the label" - it's not a permanent label that you can't ever change. And there's no "right" personality type to strive for.
Also you can and do have "degrees of trait" - e.g the line between "E" and "I" is a continuum and if you are very close to both, being equal/balanced, one time you might score one point on the "E" side and another time one point on the "I" side hence changing categories. In my case once I realised how it all worked and what it meant I relaxed a bit more and my answers tended to solidify stronger on the scale!

I have used personality type testing in all the teams I lead (as a voluntary thing for the members to do) and each time it had positive results helping people realise that everyone was different and how to better approach the different types to improve the communication transfer. Also how they themselves worked. It definitely does need a good explanation though to work properly.

Here's a pretty good, short, online test www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/jtypes2.asp and the examples pages that come up after you do it were the ones that worked for me.

Written by: Doc Lightning talking about Marmite in Kichi's Intro thread

I have several large jars of the stuff. I actually like it... a little. And don't tell anyone I admitted to it.
grin

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: WoodlandAppleThe Briggs Myer test questions irritate me. Mainly because I get different answers depending on situation and viewpoint.

Likewise! That's why I rarely do them because I just get so frustrated that everything is black and white and I think in various shades of grey.

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

787 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: georgemcThe first few times I came across these they didn't amke any sense and then I kept getting the same result and found some descriptions that actually rang true to me. I'm now firmly "a believer" in type testing (but I'm open on which one to use as there is a whole bunch of them).

With Meyers-Brigg, I'm ENTJ and it fits my "Leader" type nature very well.
But thing to remember with it is that it's not necessarily the "true you" but it is probably the true "how you predominantly act in public" you.

When I realised that, it made me feel better about "the label" - it's not a permanent label that you can't ever change. And there's no "right" personality type to strive for.
Also you can and do have "degrees of trait" - e.g the line between "E" and "I" is a continuum and if you are very close to both, being equal/balanced, one time you might score one point on the "E" side and another time one point on the "I" side hence changing categories. In my case once I realised how it all worked and what it meant I relaxed a bit more and my answers tended to solidify stronger on the scale!

Here's a pretty good, short, online test www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/jtypes2.asp and the examples pages that come up after you do it were the ones that worked for me.

Yeah I totally agree with that it's the traits that tend to dominate. This page has a ton of expanded links for each type (your page is better for testing BTW where mine has more run around) https://www.personalitypage.com/html/high-level.html
has a list of brief overviews you can click on each one for more in depth along with the 4 tier scale we all tend to go through our more recessive traits then you can click on the logos for career and interpersonal relationship factors, etc.

Only one letter apart between the two of us and it seems that one letter is where I go into Guardian mode and you go into Leader mode making us very different in how we go about things with 3 traits still exactly matched. It's funny how some types have more common traits with more different letters depending on which traits are variable. Seems the "N" and the "S" make a huge difference in how the thought process works in individuals more so than an "I" or an "E".

It is true that no personality type is good or bad and they all present challenges of their own, unless someone has a hard time answering the questions honestly/based on first instinct or over-thinks it too much the results would be pretty accurate I would think. I do think that a person does need to be so much in tune with who they are (acceptance with their nature to an extent) and past a certain stage of development (not sure how they get a child to accurately take the test for example) to get the most successful outcome.

~Rock on!~

addict
474 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: EpitomeOfNovice

Maybe the 3 that you usually come up with have a more "free spirit" tendency? Or has traits that are more variable? I wonder if anyone else has had the same result you did Woodland Apple, do you know anyone else who has had the same varying results like you?

Ive been doing these tests for years, as well as administering them. I find that people get different results dependent on life stage and environment.

I vary so much because I take on many different roles in my life. One day Im a poor uni student bin diving for bread, the next Im teaching company CEO's communication skills; go from sitting in a supermarket trolley rolling down a steep road (but I always wear a helmet) to guiding beginners up a 100 metre cliff - or making instant judgement calls on safety or first aid.

My first instinct answers to these questions are honestly different depending on context. and the myers briggs questions I find too general and vague while the typology descriptions very short and finite.

I find most of these tests and this one in particular give Forer effect results (wiki linki)

People take too much stock in these answers, I find it particularly alarming when it is administered in high schools to give career advice.

An add on to the myers briggs test is the Keirsey Temperament sorter, which is supposed to more accurate and reduce the Forer factor.

787 posts

Posted:
I think high school is a bit young for an accurate reading to come from these as they're still developing who they are. I don't see the point in testing anyone under the age of 21 and expecting a clear result because of how much change happens from childhood to the experiences we first have as an adult.

I've looked at all 16 classifications and I don't see how Forer results could happen... Please explain?

Out of curiosity with all the roles you have to take, when you aren't in "work mode" do you have a dominant nature in how you respond to stimuli or has taking on so many roles made a firm sense of self in neutral vanish in a way?

~Rock on!~

addict
474 posts

Posted:
like I have been talking about in the oil spill thread, this test works under the premise that people have the same behaviors and reactions regardless of the context. For example a life changing event, or a shift in priorities will change the results to these very broad questions.

"You trust reason rather than feelings"
answer this before and after you find out your trusted partner has been sleeping with his/her secretary.

Because of the lack of specificity it is very easy to manipulate the context. yet the results are very specific and do not account for these changes. Forer results happen when you look at how the questions relate to the answers.

It has been shown that up to 70 percent of people who take the test will get different results upon taking the test again only a few weeks later.

Quote:Out of curiosity with all the roles you have to take, when you aren't in "work mode" do you have a dominant nature in how you respond to stimuli or has taking on so many roles made a firm sense of self in neutral vanish in a way?

not a dominate nature as such. But I think I have a firm sense of who I am, I am not as chaotic as my life is. But who I am does not dictate how I respond to different situations. necessity does. The notion of adaptability does not fit into the context of the myer briggs test.

For me I have no answer to this. I mean is it to do with relationships as I mentioned above. Am I rockclimbing or deciding on a flavour of icecream? does my life hang on the balance of my decision or just the cravings of my tastebuds? I mean I can go either way really

addict
474 posts

Posted:
The other thing to remember is that this test is the property of a company that has designed it for a specific purpose and for a specific market, It was never intended to be used generically.

georgemcBRONZE Member
2,387 posts

Posted:

Well, in my case my initial reaction is "yes I do" but I recognise there are times that my feelings will outweigh the reason. I started to go against my initial reaction though as I was typing this reply(!) and then I realised that no, it was still right for me because while I might feel a gut reaction about something that many people would say was "feeling", I would generally analyse beyond that and say that actually my gut reaction is very much based on instantly intuitive reasoning that I hadn't necessarily consciously gone through each step of but my subconscious did.

But then that's me because I am very intuitive (I find I assimilate a lot of data quite quickly and subconsciously) and quick to judge based on upon that.

I would agree that no-one under a certain age could be expected to work out their character but I suspect it's got less to do with age and more to do with life experiences - the 2 are generally associated though as a rough guide.

Oh and Rougie, the black & white vs shades of grey thing should be compensated for as the tests genenrally ask the same question different ways to try and account for that. Some tests actually will give you a "percentage of E/I" to show where you are on the sliding scale between full blown extrovert and full blown introvert. If you imagine E100% and I100% with 0 in the middle, in my earlier tests I was around a few percent or maybe 10% on the "E" side and occasionally I'd "dip under 0" and show up as I but as I realised and answered more honestly, I quickly headed further down towards the 100%E. I doubt I would ever rate as 100% E mind you because I am not someone who seeks out attention at all costs, I think I'm max 50%E.

As for "N" vs "S", EoN I think you're right about the significance of difference there. Part of this could also be gender difference - people are always going on about the inequality in the system when there are less female leaders than males, but if you consider that "N" to be part of the factor leading to that you might wonder if that isn't due to the "nurture" aspects of the majority of females that implies a character trait of "sensing" rather than more reliance on logic or intuition???

I have several large jars of the stuff. I actually like it... a little. And don't tell anyone I admitted to it.
grin

addict
474 posts

Posted:
^^^
exactly!
You have a big dilema working out what 'feelings' actually mean!

What is feelings exactly? I mean intuition can be broken down into a thousand micro-reactions and stimulation gained so fast that you don't recognise the process.

I acknowledge when my feelings get hurt, but surly that is just my ego pinching me. So is the question asking us if we are egotistical? Are they feelings such as fear or anger or spicy food? or are they feelings like 'I got the feeling someone is watching me'. isnt that just fear again? is it asking us if we acknowledge feelings or if we only respond to them? Is it talking about emotions like happy, jealousy, drunk or sugar?

I mean the terms are so hard to define, but the answers we receive from them are so absolute.

I would also like to point out at apart from my biased professional dislike for this test, it is the most popular, one of the most easiest to understand and I still use it at work.

MidkiffBRONZE Member
shadow stranger
462 posts

Posted:
well in the brief descriptions of all i found bits that all applied to me but in the more detailed explanation i am a mix of istp and ispf but i know a lot of people who dont fall into any of these categories and after taking the quiz it said i am istp

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able, and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" - Epicurus

787 posts

Posted:
Well based on the order of dominance we go through all of the classifications, but the line from dominant to inferior shows the series of the most natural events in terms of probability.

This is my order as an ESTJ:

Jungian functional preference ordering:

Dominant: Extraverted Thinking
Auxiliary: Introverted Sensing
Tertiary: Extraverted Intuition
Inferior: Introverted Feeling

I go through all the letters, but it isn't like me to be all "touchy feely" and I don't really understand things outside of what I can literally sense and practically put into action. It's a challenge and I try my best to be in tune with these aspects, but I do struggle with anything involving intuition and feeling a great deal.

I think the evaluation of the weaknesses is quite helpful along with the acceptance of what comes more naturally and looking at these traits in others can help attempt to pinpoint very natural communication barriers.

~Rock on!~

Icarus FordeBRONZE Member
Just Icarus//Spinner//Pyro//Geek
261 posts

Posted:
<3

More MBTI geeks. smile

INFJ here... One of the few. wink

Seriously, on almost every forum that I've been to, including ones that I co-own/run, there's MBTI geeks, and it's awesome. grin

787 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: georgemc
As for "N" vs "S", EoN I think you're right about the significance of difference there. Part of this could also be gender difference - people are always going on about the inequality in the system when there are less female leaders than males, but if you consider that "N" to be part of the factor leading to that you might wonder if that isn't due to the "nurture" aspects of the majority of females that implies a character trait of "sensing" rather than more reliance on logic or intuition???

That is an interesting question along with the point of time sociological programming/indoctrination of youth comes into play. Like only allowing a little girl to have pink clothes and dolls regardless of what she wants would play a factor in the formation of personality traits.

I feel in terms of leading offense is not my strong suit where defense is, I actually don't like being a leader but do enjoy organizing things and holding down the fort behind the scenes. If I think something is going terribly wrong I do jump in out of a defensive nature, something that I think is pretty common in females more so than males.

Interesting!

Originally Posted By: Icarus Forde<3

More MBTI geeks. smile

Seriously, on almost every forum that I've been to, including ones that I co-own/run, there's MBTI geeks, and it's awesome. grin

It's pretty fun! Funny how I have so many friends who are INFJ in real life, they do say opposites tend to get along better. Probably depends on how "opposite" they are though! tongue2

~Rock on!~

261 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: EpitomeOfNoviceOriginally Posted By: Icarus Forde<3

More MBTI geeks. smile

It's pretty fun! Funny how I have so many friends who are INFJ in real life, they do say opposites tend to get along better. Probably depends on how "opposite" they are though! tongue2

Yeah, it's good. Helps you get a good idea on how a person is in real life... I don't know all the technical terms, and all that... But I just know what they're like. One of the cool INFJ things: reading people. Blessing and curse at the same time.... ^_^

But yeah, generally (I may be a tad biased), INFJ's are pretty darn cool. wink

787 posts

Posted:
Awesome thing about ESTJ's: We got your back and plan of action to ensure the job gets done right! So perhaps INFJ's with their reading ability are able to take what I say with the same amount of seriousness I do (not much! LOL) enabling us to get along well! grin

~Rock on!~

addict
474 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: EpitomeOfNovice

I think the evaluation of the weaknesses is quite helpful along with the acceptance of what comes more naturally and looking at these traits in others can help attempt to pinpoint very natural communication barriers.

yep, agree wholeheartly with this.

addict
474 posts

Posted:
Im also a more dominate INFJ, but the last few letters swing around depending on my mood

second is INFP and strangly ESTP as last.

261 posts

Posted:
I'm a weird one. I'm balanced very closely I & E, but other than that, fully weighted towards NFJ... But I am weighted to the I side by about 5% or so... not much though.

It's weird though - if I take tests on my own, I get INFJ every time... But with someone else, my personality changes to be the most compatible with them? Like... The best person to talk to them? It's weird.

Any other INFJ's noticed that?

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
I tend to vary between INTP and INTJ. *shrug*

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

787 posts

Posted:
I was so baffled with how much trouble my husband had taking this test last weekend. He was literally over-thinking and making more out of the questions than said, on top of it how he interpreted the questions he answered how he'd like to react to things not how we does react to things. Kinda like it could be marked correct or incorrect.

Personally I thought the questions were cut and dry without much to interpret and over thinking will screw up your results. How is it so hard for some people to simply read the questions without over complication of what it's asking?

Is there a degree of being egocentric or even one of the listed types that is more likely to run into this more so than others?

~Rock on!~

georgemcBRONZE Member
2,387 posts

Posted:
It might be a guy thing?!!

But I had the same "problems" with it to start with. If I had my "work hat" on the answers could be different than if I had my "home hat" on and could be different again if I had my "out with friends" hat on because in certain roles you may tend to react differently than in other roles or situations. However I think the more you understand the personality types you tend to settle into one regardless of the situation.

grin

MicroweBRONZE Member
Spin. Eat. Sleep. Rinse, Repeat.
24 posts

Posted:
I got ENFP..Idealist / Champion..
Read the Portrait on that site. It pretty much hit the nail on the head for me.. I can see how I'm an Idealist..but I don't see the Champion part.
Odd..I'm sure it'll reveal itself in time.

"There's an inverse relationship between how good something is for you, and how much fun it is."
"Idiocy is the essence of the male mind."
"Interesting. No, wait, the other thing...Tedious."

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
I'm generally an INFJ or INFp-on occassion

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

LaasyaBRONZE Member
Wind Dancer
126 posts

Posted:
I float between INFJ and INFP, which both seem to suit me rather well. I've also gotten the same result in the past.

I definitely had a hard time answering some of the dry yes/no questions. Some of them were rather vague and others were dependent on the situation. I agree with most everything WoodlandApple has said in regards to such tests. While certain personality traits are likely common among many people, I don't think you can simply classify a portion of the human population as "ESTJ" and expect them all to behave the same. Personality tests like this one and 'The Big 5' are kind of fun, but they don't offer that much in terms of 'discovery.' Chances are, you already know whatever the result will tell you, and if you didn't know it, then just by reading it you're already biased to behave in that manner. In terms of learning about others, any information these tests can give you, you can probably learn just by talking to the other person. But yeah, they're kind of fun and a good way to kill some time, but I wouldn't base any decisions on the results.

EoN, my issue with 'going with my first reaction' is this: When I encounter a problem (or question), my brain instantly cycles through all possible solutions (or answers). I see a plethora of paths I could take, and they all show themselves within a second of encountering the problem in question. For example, "You are more interested in a general idea than in the details of its realization." Well does the idea directly affect me? If the idea is banning a certain toy from middle schools, then no, I probably don't care about the details, as it doesn't affect me. But if my child was attending that school, I might care a bit more. I had this same gray area on many questions, and thus found it difficult to answer 'based on my instinct' since my 'instinct' lead me to multiple answers.

And frankly, the question "You tend to be unbiased even if this might endanger your good relations with people" makes no sense to me.

Impermanent are all created things;
Strive on with awareness.
- Buddha

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: LaasyaAnd frankly, the question "You tend to be unbiased even if this might endanger your good relations with people" makes no sense to me.
The question, as I understood it, is simply asking whether you remain objective, despite this possibly being an unpopular move or if you become biased towards one side or another.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

787 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: astonOriginally Posted By: LaasyaAnd frankly, the question "You tend to be unbiased even if this might endanger your good relations with people" makes no sense to me.
The question, as I understood it, is simply asking whether you remain objective, despite this possibly being an unpopular move or if you become biased towards one side or another.

I'm actually notorious for this one because I don't side with people I like very much and respect when I know they're wrong. Loyalty doesn't sway my response to such a topic. LOL

The truth about these tests is that regardless of what is dominant of a trait or weakness every type will go through all the courses of action, but some things more natural in their methodology where others are secondary then what's a reluctant and onto what portions are most challenging and begrudging coming into last place.

While I'm an ESTJ it's actually not correct to assume we're all the same, but we do carry out a particular dominant methodology. Many people who have been said to have this personality type I'd probably be fighting with them and in a struggle constantly because neither side would back down and carry out the same methodology for their particular values. Like if I had to work with *cringe* George W. Bush (another alleged ESTJ) nothing would get very far and the whole time would be a stalemate of two different sets of ideals with an equal amount of intensity and abrasion to "make things right".

I am inclined to think that there are personality types and levels of development that don't allow the results to be seen in a "neutral, objective manner" or an "embracing/empowering tool". For example, I use to hate my natural responses to things and would fight my instincts because I didn't like certain traits being disliked in certain peer groups, but with control and balance I can be myself comfortable and attempt stepping on less toes with more attention being paid to what comes naturally out of my big mouth. There must be downfalls to all the other dominant inclinations that other individuals may not be comfortable or confident to display due to many circumstances internal and external...

*ponders*

Just like the Jungian, I look at the big 5 as a comparison tool to work on strengths and weaknesses and feel the results even externally would be agreed about the most predominant traits I display. People who don't know me that well may not, but there a few people on here that have conversed with me in actuality and would probably confirm these results not surprising at all... LOL:

Originally Posted By: Epitome's Big 5 ResultsTrait Explanations

In order to interpret your raw trait scores, they were compared to the first 350,000 people to complete the full MyPersonality Big Five questionnaire. This allows the way that you described yourself to be put in the context of how other people respond to the questionnaire. You should remember that there are no fundamentally good or bad personalities, as each trait description has potential advantages and disadvantages.

Openness

This trait refers to the extent to which you prefer novelty versus convention. Approximately 24% of respondents have a lower openness raw percentage than yours. From the way you answered the questions, you seem to describe yourself as someone who dislikes needless complexity, and prefers the familiar over the unusual. You might say that you are more conservative than many, but not to an extreme level, and that you value practical outcomes over flighty imagination.

Conscientiousness

This trait refers to the extent to which you prefer an organised, or a flexible, approach in life. Approximately 97% of respondents have a lower conscientiousness raw percentage than yours. From the way you answered the questions, you seem to describe yourself as someone who is a perfectionist. From your responses it appears that you prefer to plan everything to the last detail, which has consequently led to you being very successful and extremely reliable. From your responses it appears that more than most you enjoy seeing your long-term plans come to fruition.

Extraversion

This trait refers to the extent to which you enjoy company, and seek excitement and stimulation. Approximately 62% of respondents have a lower extraversion raw percentage than yours. From the way you answered the questions, you seem to describe yourself as someone who is energetic and active. Your answers describe you as someone who enjoys and actively seeks out social occasions, and that you especially enjoy talking with a big group of people.

Agreeableness

This trait refers to the way you express your opinions and manage relationships. Approximately 16% of respondents have a lower agreeableness raw percentage than yours. From the way you answered the questions, you seem to describe yourself as someone who is willing to make difficult decisions when necessary, and will point out when something is wrong no matter what other people might feel. Your responses suggest that you would say that you can be tough and uncompromising.

Neuroticism (Emotional stability)

This trait refers to the way you cope with, and respond to, life's demands. Approximately 24% of respondents have a lower neuroticism raw percentage than yours. From the way you answered the questions, you seem to describe yourself as someone who is calm and emotionally stable. Based on your responses, you come across as someone who is rarely bothered by things, and when they do get you down the feeling does not persist for very long.

I've compared mine with the results of friends and looking at the percentage comparisons creating the statistics for where I fall compared to others who have taken it, I think I'm pretty spot on why I DON'T have other friends ( duck ) with all of the components the same as mine...... eek

*doesn't think it would be pretty*

smirk
EDITED_BY: EpitomeOfNovice (1280871267)
EDIT_REASON: Added big 5 just for fun

~Rock on!~

LaasyaBRONZE Member
Wind Dancer
126 posts

Posted:
hahaha EoN. I like your explanation of it. There definitely is a degree of bias when people take these surveys. People will think "If I chose this option, I'll get X result and I/others might not like that... so I'll choose the other option instead." Even if you try to prevent that, as soon as you've thought it, your result is biased.

I was actually thinking about this yesterday. I feel that taking one test (Big 5 for instance) is just a 2-D explanation of your personality that can be accurate, but likely not 100% true to who you are. But, we were to take into account a single person's Big 5 result, Jungian, Astrological sign, Chinese zodiac, and whatever else you can dig up, then THAT might be a bit more of a '3-D' image of their personality. Jungian for instance classifies people into one of 16 categories. While that is a fair number of categories, you can't say there are only 16 types of people in the world (unless you're talking about binary... then there are only 10 types of people). However, if you take all other personality identifies into consideration, the possibilities for personality types are immense.

12 astrological signs, 12 Chinese zodiac signs, 16 Jungian types... With just these three, you already have 2,304 possible '3 layer' combinations! There will still probably be parts of each 'layer' that you think "Oh that doesn't suit me at all!" but again, you can't really classify yourself, or others, into a specific category. Using multiple identifiers just adds more depth, bringing your personality on paper closer to your personality in reality. Of course, it all depends on how much credibility you give said identifiers, as well as the source of your information. I know certain astrological explanations have been WAY off, while others are spot-on.

I think if I met another introvert, our relationship wouldn't get very far -- we'd both be too shy to start a conversation!

Impermanent are all created things;
Strive on with awareness.
- Buddha