Forums > Social Chat > Glowstick alternative invention!!! (Also fire and glowing poi)

Login/Join to Participate

Coopermember
14 posts

Posted:
I was getting sick and tired of buying glowsticks, not to mention the garbage it creates. So I thought of an alternative to glowsticks but not loosing the glowstick look! I went and bought four of these little Photon micro-lights (two blue and two red) These little lights are made by Nasa and can be seen over 1 mile. They can also be seen from space.....Cool.....Anyway I took 4 old glowsticks and emptied out the dead liquid inside into a proper waste bin cut on each side hole the length of a quarter and the width is so it can just slide in. I left the bottom on so I can just pop it in and out at any time and they fit in there good and tight and will not come out if hit even at super speeds.... With the red and the blue together it looks purple almost and the brightness never fades and the batteries last up to about 15 hours of continues time. They have about seven colors ruby Red, orange, yellow, emerald green, Turquoise, diamond white, and Sapphire blue. These are well worth the effect and the brightness for shows or just playing around. I know your thinking but what happens if yuo smack them together? these things have an unbreakable ultra-bright bulb, remember this thing is the size of a quarter and the plastic it unbreakable too with what we are using it for. If you are interested in this you need to find the ones that are able to switch on and not the ones that you just squeeze. You can replace the batteries and that is about all...any questions just ask! Have fun and give it a try....

dangerboyoriginal member
205 posts

Posted:
sweetness. where did you get them from? can they be ordered easily? it there a website? inquiring minds want to know.------------------Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath, fire my spirit

Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath, fire my spirit

Coopermember
14 posts

Posted:
I bought them from an arm surplus store or I know you can get them from some of the glow stuff sites on the web. They are about 25 to 30 dollars each. Worth it though!

Timmymember
45 posts

Posted:
What a great idea, I'll keep an eye out for them. My friend Rob is an electronics whiz, and he's started designing a set of beaming poi that generate their own electric as you swing them round!! Has any-one else had/seen this idea? Any hints for him?Cheers all, Happy swinging,Tim /|\

Coopermember
14 posts

Posted:
Actually I just invented this last night. I am also working on a ball idea, that you can put one color on one side and another on the other side. here is a site were you can get them www.photonlight.com here you can read all about it. I would like some one to invent some thing that has almost a remote gadget that fits in your hand and you can change colors while spinning. Or even have little lights built right into the chain and you can turn them on or off. Also have you seen those little things that you spin around and the say the time or happy birthday on them, that would be cool to put on the chains as well. If got ideas coming out of everywhere!

SimosBRONZE Member
enthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
the only problem with Rob's idea i would imagine is that when you spin slowly the brightness will fade Tim, but then again if he is really good i guess he can get round that too...as an engineer-to-be myself i'd love to have a look at them when he finishes grinhappy swinging,Simos

Timmymember
45 posts

Posted:
Another cool thing that I have heard of, but can't find frown , are "polarised" LED's. Apparently they change their colour, depending on which angle you look at them from! Now they would be the nuts in beaming pois.....but where to get them from?Happy swinging,Tim /|\

SimosBRONZE Member
enthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
hey Tim...for some peculiar reason i think that Malcolm somewher mentioned that he once got his hands on some LEDs that changed colours with temperature variations or something similar - perhaps Malcolm can shed some light into this - he is after all and electronics guru, huh Malcolm wink ?happy swinging,Simos

dangerboyoriginal member
205 posts

Posted:
Anyone know if these photon lights are available in canada? haven't found any canadain distributors on the net, but my search skills aren;t the best.------------------Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath, fire my spirit

Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath, fire my spirit

tkerbymember
30 posts

Posted:
You get LEDs that are polarised in that if you reverse the battery they change colour usually from green to red. Other interesting variations have two leds in one package that you can control the brightness of individually and go from green to orange to red. Perhaps the best though are the full colour version - 6 leads a load of leds in the one package and you can get any colour you like. Attatch a microcontroller and an accelerometer and you could have a complete rainbow in each full swing! It would be a similar idea for having lights up the chain

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
www.botachtactial.comthey have photons,photon II, photon III, and for 24 buck each they have these new party rav'n lights it s a photon that strobes though all the colors when used and swing you see a ribbon of like 5 colors it's really cool

jamiemember
21 posts

Posted:
cooper, i did the same thing this morning with rav'n lights, wow we must have been on the same 'wavelenght' or something, yeah the botachtactical site works really well and it's hecka cheap, compared to glow sticks the rav'n lights were less bright but much cooler cause of the ribbon effect, are two photons in an empty glow stick as bright as a glowstick?

edlomember
21 posts

Posted:
https://www.epartyunlimited.com/microlight.htmlRegular
price: $19.95Sale price: $17.95, 3/$48.00, 12/$180.00

godisSILVER Member
2 posts

Posted:
The url above should be https://www.botachtactical.com/Search
for photon. They seem to have the lowest prices.bleu

fireflymember
52 posts

Posted:
nice!does anybody know what these rav'n lights look like?do they look like a rope?how long are they?

frank bentzin

lusidmember
9 posts

Posted:
Biotachtactical.com is definitely the way to go. I got my rav'n lights on sale there a few weeks ago for $20!!! They are priced $24 right now but hat is still the cheapest you'll find them right now and trust me I've looked everywhere! Also, they might go on sale again! Also, photon II on sale right now for $10 which is the cheapest you'll find them (aqua is really good! I just got that color and was pleasantly suprised!!) They have High INtensity (30 min) and Ultra High Intensity(5 min)glowsticks for $1 also a good deal. Anyways, the rav'n lights are the best lights I've swung. They are the same size as the photons (quarter size) so there is the same problem with weight. (I still haven't come up with a good weight source that doesn't block the light or take an eye out! Any suggestions???) Besides that they are beautiful and incredibly trance inducing! There are two types strobe which makes strobing dots going from red-green-blue-red-green-blue....or there is one with a continuous ribbon of color changing redgreenblueredgreenblue....you get the idea. They are both cool and I personally like them equally but most people seem to like the ribbon one. Happy spinning!!!!

frodusmember
92 posts

Posted:
heyhere are some that:strobe through differnt colorsseemlessly cycle through colorsrandom colorone colorand a few hidden trickshttps://www.cksauce.com/main.htmsmall handheld lightsi got mine at REI (site is on their homepage)haven't gotten them YET, should be here today!

Peace,Travis IM: frodus17

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
cooper...thats a great idea....i got a little confused about which site to go to to get the little micron lights that you were talking about...which is the best site to go to???? i read a couple of other replies but my computer sucks and the webpage that other people said to go to wouldnt load....so if someone could help me out i would be very grateful!!!!Stay Swingin'-Ebombs

Phyzeriummember
38 posts

Posted:
Heres a better idea. Go on ebay. I just got 4 pairs (which is 8 photons) for 80 bucks in one auction. Then in another, i got a pair of red ones for 8 bucks. And yes, they are all brand new, and they are micro light II's.

Pain is pleasure.

tricky56member
23 posts

Posted:
OK, here is something even better. Wanna make the cheapest beaming poi available. All you need is wither two or four photon lights preferably photon 2's (available from www.botachtactical.com for 9.95 on sale) You will also need glow in the dark rubber balls. Sorry, that's the best description I have available right now. They are about a 1/8 inch thick, and 3 to 4 inches around. They are made out of little flat circles melted together so they arent solid. Cut small holes in the balls insert the photons and run high strength fishing line or cable through the small holes that are already in the balls. I have been using this technique for almost a year now. They are very light fly fast, make a slight whistle/humming noise when they are spun, and don't hurt at all when hit so they are perfect for night time practice. There is a picture in the HOP gallery of me spinning with them. On the first page, my name is chris kent. Also, ravin'/photon3 lights can be used but I don't recommend it cause if they hit, the backs which hold the batterys in place will come off cause they don't have the same "skrew" fittings as the photon 2's or 1's. good luckP.s. i'm also working on making a "beaming poi" device which will have 8 LED's on each end, and will flash in sequence with controls via hand grips------------------

Phyzeriummember
38 posts

Posted:
Hey tricky, where did you get the "glow in the dark rubber balls" at? I saw the pic and it looks pretty nice. Reply asap!

Pain is pleasure.

tricky56member
23 posts

Posted:
I got them at a local shop called toy joy. sorry. However, I have seen them at places like party stores and at like target/k-mart. also at some grocery stores with the toys

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
If you want photon IIIs, you can get them for $25 at clubtoys.com

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
we've been kicking around the photon idea for about a year here in Texas/Houston/Austin. Though the do look great, they aren't really that durable - esp. the little on/off switch. Most of us have given up on the idea and gone back to glow sticks. One girl put them inside a clear dog chew toy though, and has had more success with them lasting long enough to make them cost effective vs. glow sticks (which we can buy for $0.85 each at a local store).My current favorite is the smallest size mag light (called something like a "solo" mag or something like that - the kind with a single AAA baterry) topped with a chopped off end of a glow stick - a perfect fit. The plastic in some glow sticks is too brittle and it splits unless you dunk it in hot water before you slide it on. Some plastic is more pliable and you don't have to worry about this. For some reason I've had the best luck with the orange colored plastic. Anyway, this comes out to be about as intense in brightness as glow. Wrap some foam insulation tape around the flashlight to prevent serious head trauma, and secure it with some electrical tape. Also use electrical tape to secure the battery cover, or else the spinning will screw this right off and flashlight and battery will go flying 10s of meters and you'll never find them again. A simple twist of the lighted end turns it on and off. Don't use in a crowded situation, as you don't want to wack someone with these.Just remeber that you are creating waste either way - glowsticks or batteries. yes, batteries last longer, but they are not kind to the enviroment (especially the lithium watch batteries you use in photons). But then glow uses a lot of plastic and even though the contents are supposedly non-toxic, I've seen it melt vinyl, so I don't think that is so great either.

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

Kosmik Lunatikmember
58 posts

Posted:
I don't know aren't they kinda small, i was thinking that there the size of a glow stick.does it give off as much light etc