Posted:
Just in case it slipped your attention wink

however: 10 things you need (but don't want) to know about the BP oil spill

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

triptricianSILVER Member
UFO Spotting
350 posts

Posted:
At the onset of the disaster I had made a personal declaration to boycott BP. Anger to the point of crying over the lack luster efforts to control the disaster and the blatant complacency that BP holds to safety in general. I stand fast with my choice to boycott BP and would encourage others to do so.

Thanks for the Link FT very ionformative stuff

would rather have a bottle-in-front-of-me than a frontal lobotomy

"The dangers of life are infinate and among them is safety"(geothe)

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
triptician: it's too easy to blame BP alone.

It is happening IN OUR NAME... especially in ours - as fireperformers.

Boycotting BP at the gas pump will get you no-where. It's not as if BP uses its oil only at its own pumps.

shrug

[ed] on a sidenote: that exactly is which freaks ME out so much... helplessness any which way.
EDITED_BY: FireTom (1275473371)

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
Woo hoo! Thankyou for that - I'll use that on my radio show tomorrow! Saves me a bit of research wink

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
boycott BP? what like the other producers are any different? its the roll of russian roulette that BP are dealing with a situation that could have happened to any other major oil manufacturer.

its like that idiotic chain email trying to rise the masses into boycotting X petrol station on X day, as if its going to make the slightest bit of difference.

all the primary resource industries are getting riskier because we have the push the limits harder to find new economically viable resources. mining firms are delving deeper into africa, and oil firms are going deeper into the ocean.

would the consumer ever be likely to pay more for 'ethically and environmentally' safe oil extraction, if such a thing could exist?

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
seems like it's all just finally coming together...

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
what? is this a masterplan from a combustable moose wink

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

EpitomeOfNoviceGOLD Member
Putting the "FUN" in fundamental since 1981
787 posts

Posted:
We're scared up here in Delaware because one storm or hurricane, along with currents, will bring all that around Florida and up on our beaches contaminating the whole east coast and the Chesapeake Bay. None of it had to happen. I'm not sure what I'd call it, but it's not an "oil spill". With demand dropping domestically (which caused a gas price hike, funny yeah?) why they need to drill and exploit the resource is beyond me other than if they stopped they would be unemployed and not making any cash (god forbid a huge conglomerate fail because it would pass on the failure all the way down the chain) but enough is enough IMO.

I'm pretty sure they don't know what they're doing because nothing this insane has ever happened before, but it's no excuse. There are places and things humans were never intended to tinker with. Pretty sure this is one of them...

~Rock on!~

"As the pattern gets more intricate and subtle, being swept along is no longer enough"-Waking Life

(All you RLers this is epitome_of_lame *waves hello*)

triptricianSILVER Member
UFO Spotting
350 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: FireTomtriptician: it's too easy to blame BP alone.

It is happening IN OUR NAME... especially in ours - as fireperformers.

Boycotting BP at the gas pump will get you no-where. It's not as if BP uses its oil only at its own pumps.

shrug

[ed] on a sidenote: that exactly is which freaks ME out so much... helplessness any which way.

You are most certainly right. However slefish this may sound, it is the feeling of helplessness that, through my boycott, I hope to negate some of said helplessness. Let me be the first to say some of this feeling is born out of guilt; Guilt for how dependant I am on oil based products, and guilt for taking the end products for granted and not fully understanding the ramifications of when things do go wrong (although they are abundantly clear to me now).

Small actions on an individual level I believe ccan help. Perhaps I am going about things the wrong and you have put the situation into a different light for me. Perhaps the goal for me should be to limit consumption in general, something I have been working on, but now something i will be working on with a little more consistency in the future!

would rather have a bottle-in-front-of-me than a frontal lobotomy

"The dangers of life are infinate and among them is safety"(geothe)

Mint SauceBRONZE Member
veteran
1,453 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Dentrassiboycott BP? what like the other producers are any different? its the roll of russian roulette that BP are dealing with a situation that could have happened to any other major oil manufacturer.

its like that idiotic chain email trying to rise the masses into boycotting X petrol station on X day, as if its going to make the slightest bit of difference.

all the primary resource industries are getting riskier because we have the push the limits harder to find new economically viable resources. mining firms are delving deeper into africa, and oil firms are going deeper into the ocean.

would the consumer ever be likely to pay more for 'ethically and environmentally' safe oil extraction, if such a thing could exist?

Totally agree we are all hypocrites

EDITED_BY: Mint Sauce (1275533372)

before i met those lot i thought they'd be a bunch of dreadlocked hippies that smoked, set things on fire ,and drank a lot of tea but then when i met them....oh wait (PyroWill)

Frost_DreamerSILVER Member
stranger
9 posts

Posted:
I'm glad that you guys started a topic about this on here. The oil spill has deeply saddened and disgusted me. Many different species of animals are being wiped out. What disgusts me is that even with this disaster, Obama just allowed for more offshore drilling in the Gulf. Below are a few links about how the animals are being affected.

https://action.defenders.org/site/MessageViewer?em_id=56681.0&printer_friendly=1
https://www.cnn.com/2010/US/04/29/oil.spill.wildlife/index.html
https://www.truthout.org/ten-animals-most-risk-from-gulf-oil-spill59013

Besides doing things like boycotting BP, there's small things here and there that I think we can all do to help even if we're not able to drive down to the Gulf and physically be there to help in the clean up process. In my Etsy shop, I'll be donating $1.00 out of every sale to help save the animals affected by the oil spill. Find an organization and donate to help out, even if it's just $1.00. Some of my friends are having burner parties near me for the oil spill and are telling people to donate things like nylon, money if they can, hair, and fur, to help with the clean up. So you can be doing something fun with a large group of people, and still be doing something to contribute. My mom is part of a huge pirate community and right now she's organizing an event in July to donate money to 3 organizations who are helping with clean up and rescuing the animals. Those are just a few suggestions of things we can do.

Couscous, the food so nice they named it twice.

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Dentrassiwould the consumer ever be likely to pay more for 'ethically and environmentally' safe oil extraction, if such a thing could exist?

What is that twisted attitude that a consumer would have to pay MORE in order for a company to use safer technology? confused2

Why is it always on OUR end? (apart from me already paying more for products NOT manufactured in China, organic foods, etc.)

Is it as if (BP's) CEO'S or SHAREHOLDERS (which again are the general public and institutional investors, who at the end again act in the name of the general public) are some Alien race? Are they NOT living on the very same planet? With the same interest to keep it clean?

Why would WE as consumers have to put up with higher prices and THEM not put up with minor profits????

The safer technology might have cost BP (and subcontractors) as much as $ 500.000... I dearly hope they fry BP, Deepwater Horizon (and Halliburton)... you know how much BP makes in a month? I'm afraid that only at the time that company executives can be held DIRECTLY accountable (i.e. criminal charges) for safety lapses or decisions jeopardizing the safety of workers and the environment - only then we will see change.

As I see it, it is a long due wake up call for us all... I repeat: it's far too easy to blame others - or say "I burn fossil fuels recreationally (but at least I'm veg)" umm wink

I'd suggest all of us hypocrites to send a prayer to this planet, it's birds, marine lifeforms every time we light up.

[/rant] redface grouphug whistle

Oh and I forgot to mention: It's all part of the big conspiracy... Clear evidence that this is a staged event is the fact that already a few years earlier in the movie "Knowing" they are showing an oil rig explosion in the Gulf of Mexico - so apparently the only question is: who blew it up?

CIA? or competitor Exxon? was it Greenpeace? NO! wait - of course it's been either Aquaman or Obama Sin Laden... [sp] wink
EDITED_BY: FireTom (1275546494)

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
disclaimer: I request the valued reader to view above post with a truckload load of irony wink

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Putting the oil desaster into a conventient location near you wink

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
yea - I'm soo not surprised that seem to have lost opinion on the topic grin the old dog has dun it again - warf warf wink

BP using Google to manipulate public opinion

Originally Posted By: huffington postNow there's another reason to hate the company that America hates most--British Petroleum. BP has not only created the worst environmental disaster in U.S. history, it's trying to manipulate and control the news.

I recently listened to a media report, that claimed CNN would fall behind in customer appreciation because it's not playing the emotional game but focuses on "news first"... Now I begin to understand what it means.

- Who would think the "blame and hate" game helps in anything?
- Who'd reckon that the other oil companies have a higher morale?

and in context of Dentrassi's post:

Would they be ready to put up a few cents more for better safety measures? I bet they will as of now. But I they shouldn't have to.

In yet another article in the "Huffington post" the author claims:

Originally Posted By: HPOddest of all, few commentators have pointed out the obvious fact that sits before us like an oil-besmirched elephant in the living room: BP is a huge British company, headquartered in London; it's the third largest global energy company in the world.

If ever we needed a wake-up call to puncture the myth that off-shore drilling in some way advances the cause of American "energy independence," this disaster makes one thing crystal clear. Off-shore drilling is simply lining the coffers of international corporations like BP and Exxon-Mobil, whose only allegiance is to profit.

Well, apart from the profit attitude being prime on the list of American values, I don't feel that it's been "deserved" or "necessary" and dearly hope that the decisions taken now are not akin "pushing the response-ability out of our own realm and

INVADE BRITAIN!"

wink

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: FireTom Putting the oil desaster into a conventient location near you wink
Facebook stalker wink

Originally Posted By: TomWhy would WE as consumers have to put up with higher prices and THEM not put up with minor profits????
I agree. And is my view on the mining tax. And on a bunch of other things as well.

I think that one of the worst things we can do is get hardened to things like this, which is what is happening. Getting hardened to it means we stop caring as much which means companies can begin to get away with it. We have to maintain the interest!

Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Yo sweetheart - it was your decision to contain it there and it just wanted to spill over to HoP wink

Rouge, most people have the habit to retire their interest as soon as it involves self-critique and facing simple facts. It's SOO much easier to "just hate BP" for their actions... and be veg (thus holy)...

okay now - I boycott BP.. in Germany they are called "ARAL" ... now - will it be effective? most likely not - why? - because BP is selling their oil to other companies as well. will I fuel BP oil when fueling up at OMV, JET or free stations (SHELL being out of the question since the "Brent Spa" oil rig)? most likely.

BP details in Wikipedia

Now - WHO OWNS BP? - if you look at this

ownership by country/# of institutions/# of individuals

UK...................33..................7
US...................25.................14
Rest of Europe.......10
Rest of World.........7
msc...................4

This does reflect the helplessness we have today. We can't simply say: THE FRENCH, THE POMMIES, THE YANKS! anymore... the global network is so diverse that it is impossible to play this blame game (if you are not a retard). "Institutions" in this context means that these are banks/trusts/(retirement) funds etc... which again are ordinary people, who ask banks to invest their money in funds...

Maybe YOUR DAD or UNCLE or BROTHER "owns" BP too. Invade Britain! But Britannia is everywhere shrug

wink

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
Ride your bike* wink

*I realise that oil goes into more than cars. It's just a frustration of mine when people go all green about the house and do Earth Hour and talk about how good they're being for the environment but still drive for trips they could easily use another mode of transport for.

RivesGOLD Member
Nothing but circles and smiles...
118 posts

Posted:
just popping in to throw this like out there.

[url= https://www.google.com/crisisresponse/oilspill/]
https://www.google.com/crisisresponse/oilspill/[/url]
https://www.google.com/crisisresponse/oilspill/

it is a forecast for the movement and spread of the oil spill. it should be wrapping around the keys sometime in the next 72 hours.

787 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Rouge DragonRide your bike* wink

If you live in a city that is great, that is not a reality from where I grew up or where I live now where people commute by car 30min-2 hours to work doing 55-65 MPH (don't want to know how long that would take on a bike LOL like 8-10 hours+ minimum?) or any people who live in a rural area (most of the US is rural land, then suburban, the minority is metropolitan). wink

There's a lot you cannot do on a bike like transport small children, do your grocery shopping, go any long distance to obtain goods (or insert any other routine essential like work/medical/appointments here) and return, etc. I think it only supports a very limited range of lifestyles practically when it comes down to it. Not to mention the handicapped and old (who rely on their ability to drive to make up for their lack of mobility).

Oh yeah and you'd need alternate routes (that in many cases don't exist and would need to be built) because it is illegal to ride a bike (or walk or even use a moped/scooter) on highways or interstates. Forgot that one when I posted which would box in the majority especially myself who must leave town for everything on a routine basis.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

As awful as what happened is I'm going to just say it once...

I see no need in becoming masochistic chastising ourselves for using products derived from crude oil or condemning people claiming/trying to be green for whatever reasons they choose (or to be vegan, normally has nothing to do with being green anyways, most I see are vegan because of ethical or religious reasons). Did any of us customers want more drilling to have more of a stock pile when consumption is at a low? I don't think so and if more people followed the news I don't think they'd see a need either. There is a difference in being green, living greener, and being a normal functional productive member of society but none match the "green ideal" being stated that could reverse the way society functions on a mass scale. If you have appliances in your house, electricity, any products that are mass manufactured (furniture, clothing, yes even bikes!) you have contributed plenty to the oil companies. Infact anyone who lives in an industrialized nation everytime they get groceries, anything basic goods for survival manufactured (corporate or independent businesses or down the chain through both like your local pharmacy as an example), or just mail a letter guess what? Oil (in some form) is being used!

/end rant tapedshut

Really think about reality and how much good it does making judgments about scolding those who can't/don't live to an ideal standard that is literally impossible during modern times in an industrialized nation in general (unless we should all revert back to caveman life). This situation is heartbreaking to me, for 48 days a mishap from an explosion during the EXPLOITATION of a resource that WE'RE NOT RUNNING LOW ON AND DEMAND IS DOWN is the problem here, not the use of it in a responsible "waste not, want not" manner. meditate

Just giving a different perspective on the big picture. I know everyone has great intentions and that's awesome, but some of these ideas are a bit much to say the least and the sentiment well, you know what I mean... twocents
EDITED_BY: EpitomeOfNovice (1275838957)
EDIT_REASON: forgot about highways and interstates, no bikes allowed there

~Rock on!~

"As the pattern gets more intricate and subtle, being swept along is no longer enough"-Waking Life

FugeeBRONZE Member
Cooler than bubblegum!
2,501 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: FireTomthat exactly is which freaks ME out so much... helplessness any which way.

You're not helpless! Make the choice to drive a vehicle that uses alternative fuels or as Rougie suggested, ride a bike.

Originally Posted By: FireTomWell, apart from the profit attitude being prime on the list of American values

How this relates to what was said in the article, I have no idea. A misrepresentation. Profit is at the top of the list of every country's "values", if we are measuring them by corporate standards.

Originally Posted By: FireTomWe can't simply say: THE FRENCH, THE POMMIES, THE YANKS!

I'm not sure if you know FT, Yank is highly offensive to a lot of the people in the southern US.

Originally Posted By: EpitomeOfNovicemost of the US is rural land, then suburban, the minority is metropolitan

85% of the US population is in the metropolitan areas. Over a quarter of a billion people, that could cut their unnecessary oil consumption in some way. I live in a rural area, and I am required to commute over 1000 miles week. I consume less than 5 gallons of diesel to do it, I KNOW it's possible to cut your fossil fuel consumption, no matter where you live.

I think we have wasted enough energy on the 'blame game'. A solution and way to repair this tragedy is the best we could hope for at the moment.

I have offered to sequester some of the reclaimed oil and tar from Louisianan in part of my pasture. I invite anyone to be part of the solution.(volunteer to spend your holiday picking up tar balls, encourage your hairstylists to send the clippings to the clean up, donate money... find just one way you can positively impact this situation, and do it!)

If we collect the facts as we go and learn from this, the mob should have someone to crucify and hopefully it can be prevented from EVER happening again.
EDITED_BY: Refuge Crew (1275844718)
EDIT_REASON: fixing quote boo boos

The popcorn extends life... The popcorn expands consciousness...

787 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Refuge CrewOriginally Posted By: EpitomeOfNovicemost of the US is rural land, then suburban, the minority is metropolitan

85% of the US population is in the metropolitan areas. Over a quarter of a billion people, that could cut their unnecessary oil consumption in some way.

RC, sweetness, I said "land" not population referring to square miles wink and even those metropolitan folks have to travel long distances if there is no work near them (all the people who take the train between Baltimore, Philly, and New York as one local example) will pass through non-metropolitan parts of land. What is your definition of metropolitan area? According to this list https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Table_of_United_States_Metropolitan_Statistical_Areas
Dover is a metropolitan area and I can tell you that it is not and everyone here commutes for the most part to do what they need to do. Many of these other small cities I can say the same for...

The available statistics do not include the differences between major metropolitan areas like LA, NYC, Philly, DC and small cities that do not have their resources (honestly less resources than major metropolitan suburbs) like Dover, Annapolis, Ann Arbor, Burlington, Lancaster, and similar sized places although they are listed the same just smaller. *doesn't like vague statistics in general*

You are 100% correct though and those small changes do count for a ton, I know I try even though I have to commute for everything. I was just trying to throw in a viewpoint accounting to the many people who have no choice on transportation on long, routine treks and to not discourage anyone who makes any small change to their routine.

hug

Even the 15% (I'm pretty sure it's higher, but yay people who avoid the census LULZ [humor and lightening the mood is good I think] and the latest numbers aren't in yet) who don't live in those areas are a massive amount of people... smile
EDITED_BY: EpitomeOfNovice (1275850088)
EDIT_REASON: looked up statistics and was like WOW are they serious? LOL

~Rock on!~

787 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Refuge CrewI think we have wasted enough energy on the 'blame game'. A solution and way to repair this tragedy is the best we could hope for at the moment.

If we collect the facts as we go and learn from this, the mob should have someone to crucify and hopefully it can be prevented from EVER happening again.

I couldn't agree more! Considering this is the first time something like this has happened ever I cannot imagine the challenge of trying to lessen the damage of this accident.

~Rock on!~

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: EpitomeOfNoviceI couldn't agree more! Considering this is the first time something like this has happened ever I cannot imagine the challenge of trying to lessen the damage of this accident.
This is just the first time a drilling accident has caused a problem like this in the US. Similar accidents have happened elsewhere but would never have made such an impact in the media.
I'd also guess that it (from my knowledge of other incidents) has not been the most damaging to life.

This eco / human disaster started in 2006 after a drilling accident and has never been stopped...

787 posts

Posted:
I didn't know there have been any other situations of off shore drilling in deep water that have a high probability to spread through ocean currants spreading rampantly, do tell...

My fear of how this one is different related to what will happen (whether they can plug the leak or not) than anything I have heard of. Even with the amount currently when it spreads to major water ways and is picked up by the ocean currents it will spread much further than just the east coast of America, according to the map of currents it's next stop would carry over to Europe and the open Atlantic. So far wash ups have been spotted as far away as Pensicola, FL which is alarming. Hurricane season is in week one and every year the Gulf Of Mexico gets slammed with some big ones, hopefully some remedy will come about before any of those storms make an impact.

It doesn't make other accidents any less severe in any way, but has a rig out in deep water spewed oil for almost 2 months non-stop and how did they fix it in other circumstances? According to the news fixing this thing is one experiment after another.

Here is one possibility, not a projection or forecast:

I hope this doesn't happen, but if does effect the Delmarva Peninsula like you can see in the video I will go help because I can afford to help locally.
EDITED_BY: EpitomeOfNovice (1275861703)
EDIT_REASON: found current effect video

~Rock on!~

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: EpitomeOfNoviceOriginally Posted By: Rouge DragonRide your bike* wink

If you live in a city that is great, that is not a reality from where I grew up or where I live now where people commute by car 30min-2 hours to work doing 55-65 MPH (don't want to know how long that would take on a bike LOL like 8-10 hours+ minimum?) or any people who live in a rural area (most of the US is rural land, then suburban, the minority is metropolitan). wink

There's a lot you cannot do on a bike like transport small children, do your grocery shopping, go any long distance to obtain goods (or insert any other routine essential like work/medical/appointments here) and return, etc. I think it only supports a very limited range of lifestyles practically when it comes down to it. Not to mention the handicapped and old (who rely on their ability to drive to make up for their lack of mobility).

Oh yeah and you'd need alternate routes (that in many cases don't exist and would need to be built) because it is illegal to ride a bike (or walk or even use a moped/scooter) on highways or interstates. Forgot that one when I posted which would box in the majority especially myself who must leave town for everything on a routine basis.

Originally Posted By: what I said in my original post
drive for trips they could easily use another mode of transport for.
wink

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: EpitomeOfNoviceI didn't know there have been any other situations of off shore drilling in deep water that have a high probability to spread through ocean currants spreading rampantly, do tell...

I know it's not deep water, but there was this one

787 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Rouge DragonRide your bike* wink

*I realise that oil goes into more than cars. It's just a frustration of mine when people go all green about the house and do Earth Hour and talk about how good they're being for the environment but still drive for trips they could easily use another mode of transport for.

I'm not arguing with you and if circumstances allow you to ride a bike and you own one that is wonderful, there aren't many where I can see it being practical "if you must be somewhere" or "you must be presentable", the elements are not always friendly. I don't like these kinds of judgments and whatever people are trying to do that is helpful and doesn't make them miserable I feel should not be discouraged. I don't know the situation of the people you know, but I know right now with 90 degree weather I can hardly take out the trash let alone ride a bike during peak hours of the day and when there was 3 ft snow on the ground almost all winter it was even more difficult. I don't know an adult who isn't a cyclist who even owns a bike... umm

I'm just saying while that might be a reasonable answer to some, to others not so much and there is nothing wrong with that and the good they do is no better than anyone else's efforts same or different. You know what I mean. wink

/end off topic discussion

Stout, I hope it doesn't take 10 months to fix this like that one. I'm not sure of how much more complicated of a situation this is on all levels, but I hope the fact the fix method they got to work in that part of the gulf (hasn't worked here on their attempt) isn't an indication it'll take that long to stop the leak. I am astonished that with such an incident in hindsight a plan of action was in place before going into deeper, riskier waters.

~Rock on!~

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
Those circumstances you described therefore clearly not coming under "trips they could easily use another mode of transport for" wink

787 posts

Posted:
I wanna come live where it's 65 degrees year round, mostly sunny, and clothes don't wrinkle (no sweat or B.O. either!). tongue2 You know what I mean, can we try to not have a pissing contest for once? And look at all people as being different with different needs? I mean it Rougie (which I never called you because I hate when people give me an "ie" nickname from my real name BTW, but you prefer it which is good where I'm a one syllable kinda girl) even though you're the polar opposite of me it doesn't need to predict an imminent run around on semantics.

*extends hand for a shake*

~Rock on!~

FugeeBRONZE Member
Cooler than bubblegum!
2,501 posts

Posted:
Didn't you want to move to Texas?

The popcorn extends life... The popcorn expands consciousness...

Page: ...