RedRebelleGOLD Member
stranger
5 posts

Posted:
Hi guys,
I was wondering about fuels and i searched HOP forum, but i never really found an answer. I apologize if the topic has been discussed already...

Anyway, has anyone ever tried spinning with diesel and how did it turn out? And what do you think about this (healthrisks, environmental risks etc compared to lamp oil or etc)?
I'm just thinking about alternative fuels to lamp oil, that is so god damn expensive here.

All thougths are welcome...

PS. By diesel i mean plain ole diesel, but experiences with biodiesel are welcome too...

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
i would imagine the diesel is in the same class as regular petrol. I'd stay away from it.

Biodiesel is ok to use, its hard to get lit but it burns for a LOOOONG time. the flame isn't anything special

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

RedRebelleGOLD Member
stranger
5 posts

Posted:
Same class? Well, diesel doesn't explode, that's for sure. And it even kinda smells like lamp oil when cars/busses that use it go by...

But what about the biodiesel flame? Weaker than lamp oil?

I also found out, after posting my first questions, that there is somekind of biofuel, used in some sort of fireplaces, where u only use this fluid, but i think it's alcohol based and really wimpy, isn't it?

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Diesel won't work/ is not a good idea - it will go out quickly as it isn't designed to maintain a flame, it has a high burning point and will stink.

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
*coughs* it stinks and smokes like hell... not advisable

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

RedRebelleGOLD Member
stranger
5 posts

Posted:
ok.. thanks for your answers... i was just wondering... but if you guys say it won't work, i'll take your word for it and will not start experimenting with my fire toys...

thanks,
RR

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Come to think of it, I doubt you'd even get it to ignite..

The diesel needs to be heated up to the flashpoint before it will burn, and I doubt you'd get it to the required temperature with a lighter...

It's why diesel cars have glowplugs rather than spark plugs as with petrol cars.

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
if you really want to...you can light it with a blowtorch, but it won't keep burning.

You may find that buying kerosene as used in heaters is a cheaper way of buying fuel that lamp oil. Usually it comes in bigger jugs and entitles you to a "volume discount", so to speak.

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
ive spun with diesel and petrol. Petrol is HOT, diesel is ok but smokes a lot. Kerosene is best and what i spin with most (though i havent spun fire for a while now)

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
I get my Kerosene from a pump at a gas station, last time it was $2.66 a gallon and I'd say that's pretty cheap.

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

RedRebelleGOLD Member
stranger
5 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: SpinnerofDetroitI get my Kerosene from a pump at a gas station, last time it was $2.66 a gallon and I'd say that's pretty cheap.

yeah, that's life... here, on this side of the Earth, i don't think they sell it at gas stations atleast not in those quantities with such price.

RedRebelleGOLD Member
stranger
5 posts

Posted:
ok i might take it back. There's difference between languages and therefor terms.

SoopaSILVER Member
As Himself
150 posts

Posted:
Kero at a gas station? crazy

Isn't gasoline(from a pump) and white gas(camp fuel) fundamentally the same thing? with a different of like fuel preservatives and minor chemicals?

Also, does anyone know why there seems to have been a halt in production(or at least marketing) of camp fuel? No one around here(texas) can find it anymore and it's not like fire spinners are the only ones that use the stuff, if you camp generally you use it

It makes no sense to stop selling it to me

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
People still use it for camping?

Originally Posted By: Coleman MSDS2. COMPOSITION/INFORMATION ON INGREDIENTS

INGREDIENT NAME
EXPOSURE LIMITS
CONCENTRAION
PERCENT BY VOLUME
Light Hydrotreated Distillate
CAS NUMBER: 68410-97-9
Petroleum Distillate (Naphtha)
TWA-400ppm
100.0Originally Posted By: Gasoline MSDS2. COMPOSITION and INFORMATION ON INGREDIENTS * (rev. Jan-04) INGREDIENT NAME (CAS No.) CONCENTRATION PERCENT BY WEIGHT Gasoline (86290-81-5) 100 Benzene (71-43-2) 0.1 - 4.9 (0.1 - 1.3 reformulated gasoline) n-Butane (106-97-8) < 10 Ethyl Alcohol (Ethanol) (64-17-5) 0 - 10 Ethyl benzene (100-41-4) < 3 n-Hexane (110-54-3) 0.5 to 4 Methyl-tertiary butyl ether (MTBE) (1634-04-4) 0 to 15.0 Tertiary-amyl methyl ether (TAME) (994-05-8) 0 to 17.2 Toluene (108-88-3) 1 - 25 1,2,4- Trimethylbenzene (95-63-6) < 6 Xylene, mixed isomers (1330-20-7) 1 - 15

white gas seems to be almost entirely Naptha while gasoline has a bunch of stuff innit

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

liquidtrancei dream in circles...
336 posts

Posted:
@ sod, wow thats cheap shocked
it's about £7.50 ($12) a gallon over here!!!!!!
i buy in fairly big bulk which knocks it down 40% but it's still way more expensive than what your paying in the states!!!! I WANT AMERICAN OIL!!!!!!!!

even chuck norris can't pin you down if your on fire

Icarus FordeBRONZE Member
Just Icarus//Spinner//Pyro//Geek
261 posts

Posted:
Hey, check this - kero here is brought by litre... 4 litres to the gallon, each litre costs about $7 (USD), so one gallon of kero is ~$30 (USD) when it comes down to it.

Expensive hobby over here.... frown

2,280 posts

Posted:
Holy censored! I'd be buying Colemans for sure there.

triptricianSILVER Member
UFO Spotting
350 posts

Posted:
not much better on the otherside of the tasman either Icarus

would rather have a bottle-in-front-of-me than a frontal lobotomy

"The dangers of life are infinate and among them is safety"(geothe)

Icarus FordeBRONZE Member
Just Icarus//Spinner//Pyro//Geek
261 posts

Posted:
Yeah... Colemans would be more expensive again.

Edit: To give you an idea of perspective... I can go through around half a gallon of kero in a burn session. :\
EDITED_BY: Icarus Forde (1277451839)

triptricianSILVER Member
UFO Spotting
350 posts

Posted:
Thats some thirsty heads you have thier mate. an hours session sees me going through 1 litre. Thats on new 65mm monkeys going through less and less as the fuel memory on them gets better

2,280 posts

Posted:
I havent had myself a long burn session in a while. Last time i could say i had a long one was when i met another spinner. We played around a lot smile My litle cathedrals don't use too much fuel, while my monster spiraly heads, I cannot say the same for smirk For 1 4 minute burn they use almost 1 liter of Kero

triptricianSILVER Member
UFO Spotting
350 posts

Posted:
From the pics you posted(if they are the same spiraly heads) i can see how they would drink that easily

fuego734017SILVER Member
stranger
4 posts

Posted:
ok i wish i found this forum before buying a half gallon of #2 diesel. i tried spinning with it and contrary to an above post, yes you can light it with a lighter but its tricky. it burns a long time but it smokes alot, stinks and now i have try to find some use for it. maybe diluting it with coleman and lamp oil since it does extend burn time...idk any ideas?

Its about to happen wink

discowrapsBRONZE Member
stranger
13 posts

Posted:
i have only used marine diesel in mexico very smoky long burn tools are covered in soot at the end and need to be cleaned fuego i would through it a way is just half gallon and go buy paraffin

2,280 posts

Posted:
I in all honesty would mix a little in my Coleman's if I did that. Like maybe 1/4 diesel. Just so I can get use of it and it doesn't disturb the quality of the burn so much.

Birchrus01SILVER Member
3 posts

Posted:
In mexico you can get fuel at COMEX. Ask for Gasolina Blanca