Forums > Technical Discussion > Adjusting the chains on fire poi?

Login/Join to Participate

gscRatikalSILVER Member
stranger
1 post

Posted:
I recently bought the fire poi starter kit from the site and used the arm length method to decide my chain length. Now, I got them yesterday and I feel like the chains are too long. I am unable to do wraps which basically takes out like half my routine.

HOWEVER, if I wrap the chain around my hand once, they become the ideal length, about the same length of my glow stick string (I'm a glow stringer mainly). I'm able to the all of my wraps.

Now, I'm a real newbie to fire poi. I haven't lit up yet. I was wondering the following;

Is there such a thing as an unsafe distance from the fire to my hand?

Is it advisable to cut the chains to the appropriate length? The nylon has a little chain thing so I can just reattach it if I cut the chain off.

Should I just stick with wrapping it once around my hand? The only thing I'm afraid of is the heat from the flame being conducted through the chains...But I suppose its gonna be hot all around me.

For reference, the fire poi is 24" inches from my arm while the glow string is 20" inches.

EpitomeOfNoviceGOLD Member
Putting the "FUN" in fundamental since 1981
787 posts

Posted:
I use to think the same thing and I've actually started adjusting my own fire chains you just have to be sure to do it safely. I do like long poi, but there is a point where it will limit you and as far as the fire being so close to your hand as long as you keep your poi in motion it won't creep up and get you. Use a low temperature flame as well to help with your confidence on that.

Since you haven't lit up yet I'd recommend that you don't alter them until you light them once and see how much shorter you want with flame size into the equation. Then when you do decide to shorten them be certain to count the link/balls and have each one even with clean cuts (I got bolt cutters strictly for this purpose) then be sure your reattachment is secure.

Fire poi is sold on 20 inch sets so I think it's pretty normal to spin with that, but having the freedom to shorten your chains with one to 2 hand wraps for variety while your spinning is something to think about before doing anything permanent.

Hope that gives you some things to consider I just shortened my chains slightly and switched out my handles to customize them more to my comfort since I've upgraded fire heads.

~Rock on!~

"As the pattern gets more intricate and subtle, being swept along is no longer enough"-Waking Life

(All you RLers this is epitome_of_lame *waves hello*)

triptricianSILVER Member
UFO Spotting
350 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: EpitomeOfNovice
Fire poi is sold on 20 inch sets so I think it's pretty normal to spin with that, but having the freedom to shorten your chains with one to 2 hand wraps for variety while your spinning is something to think about before doing anything permanent.

Very good idea! also keep in mind that the whole chain will not heat up to the point of it being to hot to wrap once or twice around your hand mid-spin(unless you hold the poi still long enough to heat up the chain).

would rather have a bottle-in-front-of-me than a frontal lobotomy

"The dangers of life are infinate and among them is safety"(geothe)

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
Don't worry about the hot chain thing. As for my length as reference, it is just about the length of my arm. I can wrap it around my hand twice and hold my poi head in my palm. At least I think it's twice, I may have bad memory and it could be 3 tongue2 But it's whatever one of those 2 is almost exactly the length of my shoulder to my thumb, not including the ball handle itself, just the part that sticks out of my hand.

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin