Forums > Help! > Pro-Series single loop handles Stretching Out Badly

Login/Join to Participate

EpitomeOfNoviceGOLD Member
Putting the "FUN" in fundamental since 1981
787 posts

Posted:
I've had this set for about a month and the handles haves stretched to the point that they're so thin where they go through my fingers I got massive blistering (trying to heal from, can't spin until they do since they're broken blisters the size of nickels). The part that had stretched is the part that has the most slack while spinning and it's almost as thin as Colecord going up to the swivel. There's a bounce even when spinning and I fear they'll snap soon or just re-injure the area in between my pointer and index finger where my grip goes through.

Has this happened to anyone else? I partly blame the heat and humidity where I live along with tons of slack from my very skinny fingers (like 2 inches of material could be taken off the loop and with my 3 fingered grip I'd have wiggle room I'm sure). Should I alter the loop size? How do I avoid this from happening so soon? I have replacements on the way, but I'd like to not have to change my handles every month or two and single loop is the only grip I feel comfortable spinning fire with.

Please help...

~Rock on!~

"As the pattern gets more intricate and subtle, being swept along is no longer enough"-Waking Life

(All you RLers this is epitome_of_lame *waves hello*)

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
Mine has stretched some as well. I don't know why it would happen.

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

JuggleSeanGOLD Member
Ooops
116 posts

Posted:
Hello. I have the pro series and have had some stretching also. The stretching on mine doesn't bother my hands though. Do you use really heavy heads? I would imagine that weight, spinning style, speed, and other factors would effect the stretch of handles differently. Perhaps the kind people at HoP could make you custom size? These handles are a lot thinner that most anyhow, due to connecting directly to the small swivel loop. I wonder how the stretch would be with leather cut that thin...?

Groovy

2,280 posts

Posted:
I don't know, but I have for a small amount of time use really heavy heads with them. Now I use them for my flowlights and my big fire heads, which are really light actually.

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
owner of the group property
1,277 posts

Posted:
Everyone I know has this complaint with the handles, myself included. They don't bother my fingers, but that's largely because of the unusual way I use them. They're good handles, but not for heavy poi. I'm probably going to switch back to leather soon. Not as comfy, but I never had worries about the durability.

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

JaredWSILVER Member
enthusiast
375 posts

Posted:
I just use ColeCord and make a single loop handle. No stretching, no blisters.

EpitomeOfNoviceGOLD Member
Putting the "FUN" in fundamental since 1981
787 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Sister ElevenEveryone I know has this complaint with the handles, myself included. They don't bother my fingers, but that's largely because of the unusual way I use them. They're good handles, but not for heavy poi. I'm probably going to switch back to leather soon. Not as comfy, but I never had worries about the durability.

Yeah, I forgot to throw the monkey fists into the equation with practice covers or soaked in fuel and lit. I also have that really slow, high bounce/airtime style to my spinning which on long chains probably is what put the strain more so than yours.

Leather handles are too wide for my fingers so I might do nylon if shorting the slack point on the replacements doesn't help. A thinner leather handle might work if I could find one anywhere or get custom work done.

~Rock on!~

"As the pattern gets more intricate and subtle, being swept along is no longer enough"-Waking Life

(All you RLers this is epitome_of_lame *waves hello*)

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
owner of the group property
1,277 posts

Posted:
Actually my style is pretty hard on the parts, too. What makes it less hard on my fingers is that I don't use the loops as finger loops. I used them as cores for braided counterweights, so I just have part of them gripped lightly between my fingers. Otherwise they might not be so good. I do think they'll break sooner than later, though.

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

2,280 posts

Posted:
This is why ball handles rule, the wood doesn't stretch laugh3