Forums > Technical Discussion > Glowstuff - Microcontrollers and LEDs and fans and staffs

Login/Join to Participate

happyinmotionSILVER Member
42 posts

Posted:
I've been working away at some prototypes. The glow fans are motion responsive, with a 3-axis accelerometer controlling the colour and brightness based off how they are moved. 10 LEDs, so decently bright too.

I'm working away at making these good enough to be sellable. Right now, the cost for each would be silly and the reliability... well, let's just say the testing shown here revealed a few issues, but that's what prototypes are for:

And here's a better video of the Mitochondrion, my uber-glow staff. This was taken last year and since then I've completely rewritten the code, squeezing in over a hundred patterns. Still, there's some fundamental flaws with the approach I've taken, so a version four is on the cards.

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
Nice :-)

Cake or Death?

SoopaSILVER Member
As Himself
150 posts

Posted:
The staff is quite impressive even with the periods of darkness but the fans left something to be desired

Wonderful wonderful work though, far better than anything I could do, I just figured you'd want brutal honesty over mindless ass kissing lol

happyinmotionSILVER Member
42 posts

Posted:
Yeah, if I want ass-kissing then I'll employ special ass-kissing minions.

The fans do need plenty more work, I'm not sure I've got the motion => hue algorithm quite right. They're also a bitch to video and you'll just have to believe me when I say they look better in the flesh.

SoopaSILVER Member
As Himself
150 posts

Posted:
I totally believe they do, I mean unless you film with a hd camera and are viewing on an hd tv/monitor anything involving light and patterns will be better irl