Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > How to go into an orbital from an air wrap

Login/Join to Participate

DragonOnTheMoonSILVER Member
stranger
6 posts

Posted:
I think you are supposed to turn, but I don't know if that is exactly right.
EDITED_BY: DragonOnTheMoon (1276633746)

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
owner of the group property
1,277 posts

Posted:
Orbitals are the long, continuous spins. Like hyperloops on steroids. To get into a hyperloop, you basically do just turn while doing an air wrap. The timing is really obnoxious, and it's the only move where having different colored sock poi really helped me learn it. From a hyperloop you get into an orbital by pulling the cords tight.

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
The main thing I'd say is that you tend to go into orbitals from hyperloops, not airwraps...
There's a subtle but important difference between the 2.

Here's a couple of old tutorials I made - they're not 100% accurate in terms of technical lingo, but in terms of technique they are smile

Airwraps:

Hyperloops (with brief discussion on moving into orbitals)

Or Nick's video which is better:

smile

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
Nick'svideo on orbitals is really really good. There's someone else's of him in a workshop that really made it click to me. Pull on the poi when they are facing straight up and down. Idk why it worked, but once I saw that it worked nearly every time.

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

TeamoGOLD Member
Almost again
124 posts

Posted:
Another thing aside from what SoD mentioned, I find that my orbitals nearly always succeed when done out of an inverted weave. That is, do an inverted 3-beat-weave, and right as the poi are crossing infront of you, tug your hands apart.