Forums > Social Chat > old school american muscle

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
SoopaSILVER Member
As Himself
150 posts

Posted:
Hate? Love?

I'm buying a 1978 El Camino as it's been a dream car of mine since I was ten, I decided to go the way of a fixer so I can have plenty of time under the hood grin

Anyways, I wanted to see what your dream car is and if you'd buy it new or would go like me and buy one you can build a relationship with

Here she is

Non-Https Image Link

JaredWSILVER Member
enthusiast
375 posts

Posted:
69 Buick Skylark.
Had one a few years back, huge pile of rust and scrap metal. Had to sell it cause it just wasn't in my budget to fix it up.
Eventually I'll get another one though, and it will start it's new life as a pile of scrap metal too.

alex_atwoodBRONZE Member
stranger
23 posts

Posted:
Nice lookin ride bro. My dream car is AAR 70 Cuda(Wayyyy outta my price range smile ) Although I have a 1st generation 66 Barracuda, my dream would be to have 1 of each Generation and year Cuda. 65 and a 66 of course(which is both Gen 1), 67' 8' 9' Cuda Formula S of course smile 2nd Gen. And 70' 1'(I wish) 2' 3' and 4' 3rd Gen. Phew* But the mega dream is to have one of every Mopar Muscle car and Dodge Vans(60-early 70's) A100's ROCK! I respect all muscle cars but I am a Mopar Man 100%,I just wish I could afford to finish restoring my 66' barracuda.

SoopaSILVER Member
As Himself
150 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: alex_atwoodNice lookin ride bro. My dream car is AAR 70 Cuda(Wayyyy outta my price range smile ) Although I have a 1st generation 66 Barracuda, my dream would be to have 1 of each Generation and year Cuda. 65 and a 66 of course(which is both Gen 1), 67' 8' 9' Cuda Formula S of course smile 2nd Gen. And 70' 1'(I wish) 2' 3' and 4' 3rd Gen. Phew* But the mega dream is to have one of every Mopar Muscle car and Dodge Vans(60-early 70's) A100's ROCK! I respect all muscle cars but I am a Mopar Man 100%,I just wish I could afford to finish restoring my 66' barracuda.

I like this guy

SoopaSILVER Member
As Himself
150 posts

Posted:
It's a good looking ride for sure, but it's a 2,200 dollar car lol it's problems are mostly under that pretty exterior

None of the problems are huge and rust (from what I can see) is no more than what one would expect on a late 70's car so no big worries there

I can't wait to get my daily driver (96 honda perlude...I have a thing for rare cars lol) fixed so I can start restoration on this bad boy

alex_atwoodBRONZE Member
stranger
23 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: SoopaOriginally Posted By: alex_atwoodNice lookin ride bro. My dream car is AAR 70 Cuda(Wayyyy outta my price range smile ) Although I have a 1st generation 66 Barracuda, my dream would be to have 1 of each Generation and year Cuda. 65 and a 66 of course(which is both Gen 1), 67' 8' 9' Cuda Formula S of course smile 2nd Gen. And 70' 1'(I wish) 2' 3' and 4' 3rd Gen. Phew* But the mega dream is to have one of every Mopar Muscle car and Dodge Vans(60-early 70's) A100's ROCK! I respect all muscle cars but I am a Mopar Man 100%,I just wish I could afford to finish restoring my 66' barracuda.

I like this guy Hah thanks. Personally I like early-mid 60's Camino's if any like this one

Non-Https Image Link

But That one there looks aweful pretty, what kinda work is she needing? Hopefully nothing to wallet consuming wink Whats under the hood? Something sexy I hope.

My 66 has a /6(Slant 6), I have an old junker im rebuilding for a more street performance, maybe some 1/4 fun too. Droppin one of these badboys on it https://www.jegs.com/i/Holley/510/0-8007/10002/-1

on top of this that I just got:
Non-Https Image Link

Also have a 74 C-10(Well its my dads tongue2 ) gonna drop a rebuilt 350 in as soon as I can.

SoopaSILVER Member
As Himself
150 posts

Posted:
She's all stock right now, one of the reasons I got it, I get to do all the work myself

It's a 305 so about 150 horses? lol at the fly wheel?

I'm not worrying about horsepower though, I'm going to restore it then work on engine mods and body

As for the short term I'm looking at a heating core and front seal, but I'm honestly just going to wait until the water pump goes out to replace the front seal so I can do the water pump, timing belt(chain?) and front seal all at the same time

SoopaSILVER Member
As Himself
150 posts

Posted:
Alex, we may have to talk though because I have never worked on an old school car like this so I have no idea what I'm doing lol

Someone is going to have to explain carburetors to me, the oldest car I've honestly ever worked on was a 92 xD

Kerosene_FalconSILVER Member
fire twirly girly
46 posts

Posted:
This is my dream car and daily driver, an Australian Muscle Car, a Holden/Kingswood WB ute (pickup), I wanted one for a long time and a lot of people tried to talk me out of it, especially cos i'm a girl, but it has never let me down. Do have to be prepared to put in effort to maintain them and treat rust but I've learnt how to do it myself and its a tough old girl.

Non-Https Image Link

Of course my horse is clumsy he has two left feet

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
I like the HEAVY cow catcher. I love El Camonios, gotta go with the mid 60's ones as well though.

My first car was my dream car. 1970 Chevy Nova, straight 6 250, bench seats in front and back, faded puke green. Not much of a fixer myself so about 5 months after i got in an accident, i sold it because i thought it was gonna explode.

drove it for those 5 months though, the passenger rear panel was smashed in and it looked like a demolition derby car grin

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
We call them bull bars. tongue2

hug

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
This is the least hippy thread that has ever been on this forum.

alex_atwoodBRONZE Member
stranger
23 posts

Posted:
Haha that Australian truck is awesome. The cow pusher/bull bar wink is awesome.

Definitely bro, I looooove muscle/classic cars. My dads been training me since I was like 3 lol. I could glance at some headlights in the rearview at night and tell what car and year it was at like 5 years old, weird things like that. What exactly were you needing to know about carbs? I love carburetors, there is nothing more fun than doing a rebuild on one. Then again even the simpliest of tune-ups rock if your a car enthusiast or just love to work with your hands, which im sure most of us here love to do smile .

EpitomeOfNoviceGOLD Member
Putting the "FUN" in fundamental since 1981
787 posts

Posted:
I love El Caminos! One of the first cars I ever drove (it was my grandfathers) grin

~Rock on!~

"As the pattern gets more intricate and subtle, being swept along is no longer enough"-Waking Life

(All you RLers this is epitome_of_lame *waves hello*)

WoodlandAppleBRONZE Member
addict
474 posts

Posted:
first of the Australian car is not a truck, its a 'ute', not even a real one cause its not 4 wheel drive. (although I admit your Kingswood looks hot)

and I prefer calling them roo bars.

My dream car is a Toyota land cruiser Troopy.
linky to forum posts with pictures of what I want

sticks and stones my break my bones, but ski patrol will save me.

FugeeBRONZE Member
Cooler than bubblegum!
2,501 posts

Posted:
Didn't you mean, 'first off'? Secondly, I find irony in correcting someone, followed by sentences filled with discrepancies. tongue2

The popcorn extends life... The popcorn expands consciousness...

triptricianSILVER Member
UFO Spotting
350 posts

Posted:
Kerosene_falcon: If ya having a huge problem with rustthere is a rust prevention product out on the market that you hookup through the battery that passes current through the body of your car. Possible downside to the product is that if you dont use the car very often (but as a daily driver not likely) you will need to run the car to charge the battery.

Here's a linky for those of you that want more information.
https://www.erps.com.au/

would rather have a bottle-in-front-of-me than a frontal lobotomy

"The dangers of life are infinate and among them is safety"(geothe)

alex_atwoodBRONZE Member
stranger
23 posts

Posted:
Yea couldve just said we call em cars not trucks, especially since it said "Ute(Pickup)". Guess now I know a difference in Australia and USA.

Also on the rust subject aswell; try Rust Bullet(option)... I used the Metal Blast to remove the rust and etch the metal for the Rust Bullet Auto formula used as a rust protector AND a primer wink work absolute wonders for the surface rust in my floor pans. Glad I got a Cali. car so there was very minimal rust. But there was a few rough spots that it cleaned up very nice.

SoopaSILVER Member
As Himself
150 posts

Posted:
@alex

I need to know how to fix the choke, pretty simple but I have no clue

I rigged up a rudimentary actuator type thing to get 2 barrels working but it's a 4 barrel and the car is barely running because of that

I plan to buy a Chilton for it, hopefully it will tell me how to fix the choke but we'll see

I am also having trouble with the front seal leaking oil, at high speeds it actually starts spraying a bit frown

fire twirly girly
46 posts

Posted:
glad you like it, the bullbar/cowcatcher weighs 90kgs, it wouldn't suit my personality to have a little plastic car with computerised bits. A lot of these cars now have chevrolet 350 engines in them (they fit perfectly).
Mine actually began life in byron bay, hippy capital of australia, old owner used to unscrew the tray panels to hide his 'merchandise'
But it looks very out of place when I take it to festivals like confest

SoopaSILVER Member
As Himself
150 posts

Posted:
Well technically all cars have a computer of some sort in them

And I have my camino and then a honda prelude so I don't see the problem with having a "little plastic car with computerised(computerized btw) bits"

FugeeBRONZE Member
Cooler than bubblegum!
2,501 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Kerosene_FalconI wanted one for a long time and a lot of people tried to talk me out of it, especially cos i'm a girl

I am so confused... How does being a girl have anything to do with getting the car you want?

fire twirly girly
46 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: SoopaWell technically all cars have a computer of some sort in them

And I have my camino and then a honda prelude so I don't see the problem with having a "little plastic car with computerised(computerized btw) bits"

I didn't mean to imply lil computer cars are bad, I also have one, I just like my old car better.
And in Australia we spell some words different to America, we often use 's' instead of "z' and put a lot more 'u's in (I think school just wants to make things more complicated)

What kind of things do Americans do with their utes/pickups? do you have shows and gatherings for them? Some people I know use there cars to do barrel racing like you would on a horse

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
I'm currently rocking a stock '97 Ford Falcon XH panel van, pictures in my gallery, though its now equipped with alloy bullbar and spotlights.

When I find a place to keep a spare, I'm keen to get a late '70s chrysler valliant (plymouth valliant for you yanks), but if i ever get a real job, charger fastback or plymouth barracuda would be a dream come true. As awesome as the hemi-6 goes though, the 440-magnum would be a must..

This car is right up there on my to-do list, fastback or 'cuda is a bit far-fetched, but a val is well achievable.

Of course, if I'm ever really in the money, series 3 Jaguar e-type would be heaven on earth.

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

SoopaSILVER Member
As Himself
150 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Kerosene_Falcon
What kind of things do Americans do with their utes/pickups? do you have shows and gatherings for them?

Lol we generally use them for transporting heavy items from one location to another ;D

I am sure there are car shows for trucks and truck races but for the most part the only ones you will see are classics

FugeeBRONZE Member
Cooler than bubblegum!
2,501 posts

Posted:
Okay don't get mad at me but this is sitting out in front of my barn, speaking of el caminos and rancheros. I don't even know what it is, lol! I know I have a 1945 Cranbrook in my orchard!

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

SoopaSILVER Member
As Himself
150 posts

Posted:
No clue what that is lol I just know that I've wanted an el camino since I was a tyke and I bought this one because it had the 5.7 liter 350 and it was 2,000 and upon looking at it, virtually no rust, a lot of brand new stuff (spark plugs, battery, water pump, power steering pump, high output alternator) and was an easy, good first project car

FugeeBRONZE Member
Cooler than bubblegum!
2,501 posts

Posted:
I think it's an El Camino

SoopaSILVER Member
As Himself
150 posts

Posted:
Google the vin number

fire twirly girly
46 posts

Posted:
I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure its 67 fairlane, they had that rounded body style and the two round headlights

WoodlandAppleBRONZE Member
addict
474 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Kerosene_Falcon
...And in Australia we spell some words different to America, we often use 's' instead of "z' and put a lot more 'u's in (I think school just wants to make things more complicated)

yeah we spell things correct like in Australia, Victorians just pronounce them wrong

sticks and stones my break my bones, but ski patrol will save me.

Page: