poiologiststranger
4 posts

Posted:
IM NEW AND IM THE BEST EVER!!!! ok not really. lol.

ive been doing poi for about 5 or 6 months now and i finally decided to sign up here so i have other people to talk to cause watching meeniks videos is mostly a one sided conversation. lol. anyways heres some of my skills and i would love some constructive criticism.

me messing around -

first triquetra -

invented a new move! i think. -

EDITED_BY: poiologist (1276457928)

Paddington BearSILVER Member
118 posts

Posted:
welcome and is this new move something like this https://www.homeofpoi.com/lessons_all/teach/3-Beat-Fountain-3_14_277
cant really tell because of the darkness of your video. keep up the good work.

fire is alive. it lives and breathes. it consumes and destroys. but we control it and live with it, we are fire dancers

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
All ur doing is turning from forward to backwards 3bt weave. If you think that's something new prepare to have your mind blown! laugh3

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

poiologiststranger
4 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Paddington Bearwelcome and is this new move something like this https://www.homeofpoi.com/lessons_all/teach/3-Beat-Fountain-3_14_277
cant really tell because of the darkness of your video. keep up the good work.
no not really there isnt real an up and down more if spinning with a three beat weave but bring it back before you actually have to turn.

poiologiststranger
4 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: SpinnerofDetroitAll ur doing is turning from forward to backwards 3bt weave. If you think that's something new prepare to have your mind blown! laugh3
for one quit being a dick. and two no im not just doing forwards to backwards. and yes i know there alot crazier stuff out there.

118 posts

Posted:
rightttt

fire is alive. it lives and breathes. it consumes and destroys. but we control it and live with it, we are fire dancers

118 posts

Posted:
and SoD i hate to say it but hes right cut it. welcome to HoP btw

poiologiststranger
4 posts

Posted:
thanks guys.

TeamoGOLD Member
Almost again
124 posts

Posted:
Welcome!
So I'm not sure what's really happening in your invention vid, because it's dark... Do I understand correctly that you're doing the 3beat turn back and forth, but you have you feet planted and you just turn your torso?
If that's it then I think it would qualify as a waistwrap if front. Usually they're done with just the movement of the hands and not the torso, but I don't think such an adjustment would make it a different move.

2,280 posts

Posted:
Btw I was not being cocky at all there -.- I was just saying if he thinks that's exciting and new, than he is gonna have a lot of fun seeing these other things people come up with. Jeez you don't have to take everything like that...

Reminds me of me when I was starting smile It's cool to see a video that reminds me as much of me as it does grin One thing, if I remember right your inspin flowers were having the poi in same time. I suggest learning them in split time, it looks better and if you learn it sooner it will be easier wink All you have to do is hold out your arms and spin them in split time, then move to the next position and keep them in split time and keep doing less beats in between. People loveee thee flowerseez! Also those LED's look cool, what are they called at Walgreens? They look like I could use them for glowsticking.

Also, that move you said you made. Are the poi changing planes when they go from your side to in front of you? It looks like one is flat to the camera, than the next step is diagonal to the camera, than the next one is perpendicular to the camera. Is that what you're trying to explain?
EDITED_BY: SpinnerofDetroit (1276486739)

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
welcome to the ballroom

this is bit of a mix of Intro and Technical, no? Could be then the "technical intro"... which is one of the best you could possibly make...

However, your vid of the 'new move - or double 3 beat weave' is too dark to really see what you're doing there. Could you please tape it again in broad daylight and repost? This way we could see whether it is a genuine invention or something that you figured by yourself, but indeed would be part of the "common heritage"... btdt wink

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

AlienJonGOLD Member
enthusiast
290 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: SpinnerofDetroitAll ur doing is turning from forward to backwards 3bt weave. If you think that's something new prepare to have your mind blown! laugh3

I hope SoD didn't intend this in as derogatory a way as it sounds (there is a smiley after all).

Remember SoD, what it is like to be new to poi and discover something. If Poiologist doesn't have the benefit of a good in-person spinning community to learn from (sounds like all he has so far are Playpoi video tuts), discovering such things on his own is a great step.

I can guarantee that at some time you have expressed some naivety when excited about a new poi discovery you have made, then later you will look deeper and see the next layer of understanding under the surface.

It is something we go through when we learn.

Hopefully Poiologist will learn the lesson that patterns are discovered not invented, and that there is a high likelihood that someone else over the past few millennia has also discovered it. IE, I think Wushu practitioners have been doing a "180 weave" with staff, double swords, etc for a loooong time.

I think it is always a good idea to pose it as a question to the community 1st before saying you've invented something.

+Alien Jon

AlienJonGOLD Member
enthusiast
290 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: poiologistOriginally Posted By: SpinnerofDetroitAll ur doing is turning from forward to backwards 3bt weave. If you think that's something new prepare to have your mind blown! laugh3
for one quit being a dick. and two no im not just doing forwards to backwards. and yes i know there alot crazier stuff out there.

On the flipside, Poiologist, remember that it is easy to misinterpret someone's text, since over 80% of communication is non-verbal, ie body-language, that you have no way of interpreting on a forum.

An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind. Instead of putting someone down, when you can't actually be sure they where putting you down in the 1st place, I'd say: it "it sounds like you are dissing on me, is that what you really mean"?

+Alien Jon

AlienJonGOLD Member
enthusiast
290 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: SpinnerofDetroit ...Also, that move you said you made. Are the poi changing planes when they go from your side to in front of you? It looks like one is flat to the camera, than the next step is diagonal to the camera, than the next one is perpendicular to the camera. Is that what you're trying to explain?

I don't think so, but even if it was, that would be a pattern under the catagory "box weaves", or based on that he is not hitting clean perpendicular planes, more like "Trinity planes".

+Alien Jon

2,280 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: AlienJonOriginally Posted By: poiologistOriginally Posted By: SpinnerofDetroitAll ur doing is turning from forward to backwards 3bt weave. If you think that's something new prepare to have your mind blown! laugh3

On the flipside, Poiologist, remember that it is easy to misinterpret someone's text, since over 80% of communication is non-verbal, ie body-language, that you have no way of interpreting on a forum.

An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind. Instead of putting someone down, when you can't actually be sure they where putting you down in the 1st place, I'd say: it "it sounds like you are dissing on me, is that what you really mean"?

That's pretty much it right there. I was not meaning at all to be derogatory.

And I remember starting. I began not even a year ago, I had my mind blown by many things and strived to learn them. I kind of made something of my own. I say kind of because it's not really a new concept, it's more of a "I'm Mr. Flexiblepretzel and I can do this thingy," type of thing. Also I'm sure someone else has done it, it's not complicated it's just adding an extra degree of twist of my arms around my body to a waistwrap. I still have no name for it.

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Wow....

How many people are playing with trinity stuff at the moment? I remember seeing it at some point, but then it seemed to die/get subsumed into plane-bending stuff in general?

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
owner of the group property
1,277 posts

Posted:
"trinity stuff"? Links!

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Is buried somewhere on here. Arashi was talking about it ages ago.

Basically planes 60' offset from each other.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland