Page: ...
Daniel_HendricksGOLD Member
The Hendricks Experience
41 posts

Posted:
Ok so a thought has recently come to me that would require quite a few hands and quite a bit more preperation. All I want to do with the rest of my life is spin fire and enjoy living. I know I am not alone in this desire. Therefore the only sensible thing in my mind has been to save up enough money to buy some land somewhere, make a generous sized garden, and live. The basic needs of food and shelter would be covered. Next comes the idea of companionship, and in marches the commune ideal. All comments welcome, but this really is a serious idea of mine so lets not get too out there folks. Possible location: ALASKA; homestead act is still viable in alaska meaning you pick a plot of land, make it better, and after seven years its yours. Any takers?

"it is something to be able to paint a picture, or to carve a statue, and so to make a few objects beautiful; but it is far more glorious to carve and paint the very atmosphere and medium through which we look," thoreau

triptricianSILVER Member
UFO Spotting
350 posts

Posted:
Reservations re NZ now gone. Keeping an open mind to all possibilities! Amazing what a bit of research does to opinions dont you think?

would rather have a bottle-in-front-of-me than a frontal lobotomy

"The dangers of life are infinate and among them is safety"(geothe)

FugeeBRONZE Member
Cooler than bubblegum!
2,501 posts

Posted:
You could come to Belize with us or run off to dirty Guatamala with Jared tongue2

The popcorn extends life... The popcorn expands consciousness...

triptricianSILVER Member
UFO Spotting
350 posts

Posted:
more research required i think

would rather have a bottle-in-front-of-me than a frontal lobotomy

"The dangers of life are infinate and among them is safety"(geothe)

FugeeBRONZE Member
Cooler than bubblegum!
2,501 posts

Posted:
Quit being a slacker and get to it!

JaredWSILVER Member
enthusiast
375 posts

Posted:
I've been researching for months, just pack your censored, we leave in October grin

Atitlan is in a caldera. It's over 5 square miles, and the bottom has not be fully explored but it is over 1000 feet deep.

Quote:"Lago Atitlan is the favorite of a lot of expats, especially Panajachel,
because the people are good, its very safe, Not many cops or military
around at all, it has a good town area, and yes, the lake is
spectacturaly gorgeous. On many days, I wake up feeling blah, walk to
the lake surrounded by dead volcanoes, and feel thankful to be alive.

On full moons, one can walk anywhere without a flashlight from the reflected light from the lake onto the shore. The moon seems to be huge for some reason.

It has an energy all its own, and I've been many places

woopwoopstranger
9 posts

Posted:
Hey everyone...

This is my first post, so first of all - hi, happy to be here smile
I'll get to the introduction thread later, this one currently occupies all of my attention, fickle as it may be...

It seems that I live far far away from all of you, so i guess that for now my contribution can only be in the form of random ideas.

@JaredW: Atitlan looks gorgeous...

This is really a colossal undertaking, so I think some transitional solutions are worth considering.. for example, you/we could try organizing a get-together, lasting about a month or two, in the style of the Rainbow Gatherings ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rainbow_Gathering
). Such a gathering could happen on someone's front lawn (would have to be a big lawn tho), and would give you some insight into the problems you would be facing if this is to become a permanent thing.

Another option is joining an existing community, at least temporarily, with the objective to learn self sufficiency.
I'm pretty sure such a community wouldn't be too hard to find, provided the group of newcomers is relatively small and has something to add to the whole.

A third option is derived from the first - making the community a nomadic one, moving around friends' front lawns... this one is pretty sketchy, no self sufficiency, and would have to be pretty localized, not to mention the friends would have to like the idea as well. Not really a doable thing once i stop to think of it, but i'm stating it anyway.

https://www.simondale.net/house/
This guy in Wales built a house in Wales for him and his family. It cost him about 3000 pounds, and the work was completed in 4 months, using only himself, friends and passersby for the manual labour. More details in the link above, let me just say that the house is totally amazing IMO, and living in a Lord of The Rings/Shire settlement is just what i would like:). Anyway, this should cut down on the costs significantly, and I think it is possible to learn how he did it from someone, although I can't remember where.

There is a sort-of-commune close to where I live.. I haven't done any significant research yet, but as far as i understand it's a group of friends who decided to be self-sufficient, and accomplished this in a relatively short while. I've thought of going there myself, and asking them if i could learn from them in exchange for manual labour... not sure if I am going to do it, or if they would let me, but I imagine there are communities like this everywhere around the globe, not even including plain old farmers. I'm a city boy, so I really have no idea how to be self sufficient, but I would really like to learn....

I realize the primary problem is the money required to actually buy land, but i really can't help with that for now.. perhaps some kind of fund would be best.... i would donate to it as soon as i could:)

ok that's all i have for now, i'm sure i've forgotten some stuff, will add if i remember smile
This post is mostly the product of brainstorming, so i apologize if it's disorganized. I just saw this post, and it got me thinking so fast i couldn't contain my thoughts. The idea seems wonderful to me...

Hope this helps...

FugeeBRONZE Member
Cooler than bubblegum!
2,501 posts

Posted:
LOL you think of a way to raise 46k USD and you can have a place in Guatemala too!

JaredWSILVER Member
enthusiast
375 posts

Posted:
Just not the one I'm looking at lol

JaredWSILVER Member
enthusiast
375 posts

Posted:
If anybody is interested in Panama, a contractor I hired today has 7 acres with a house for sale.

FugeeBRONZE Member
Cooler than bubblegum!
2,501 posts

Posted:
<---holds Jared down and chokes him for holding out on the details of his adventures.

JaredWSILVER Member
enthusiast
375 posts

Posted:
From what I hear, there are lots of plants on the panama property grin

FugeeBRONZE Member
Cooler than bubblegum!
2,501 posts

Posted:
I just found the piece of Belize I want and will start the process of buying it tomorrow! I intend to live down there and look for a larger plot of land for a farm before I jump in feet first. I will always be open for guest once my house is built and anyone, even FireTom tongue2 , is welcome to come visit.

Now to get in 3 hours of sleep before I lose my job and cant afford it any more! grin

JaredWSILVER Member
enthusiast
375 posts

Posted:
TV and couch are gone, new flowtoys on the way. Quit my job and got one just to pay the bills till the passport gets here.

Zephyre PhoenixFamiliar stranger giving out popcorn. (formerly Ascilith)
1,264 posts

Posted:
I would love to be a part of this, even if it was just a visitor. It sounds perfect.

Never take candy from strangers...... But popcorn is okay!

EmmCeeeFFBRONZE Member
145 posts

Posted:
Where are you looking at in Belize Refuge? I spent 7 months on expedition out there, I love the place and would head back in a shot, got a lot of friends in and around San Ignacio.

The Humming Bird highway has some amazing plots off of it, and is an amazaing place.

Could be tempted to invest myself smile

If i had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isnt. And contrary wise, what is, it wouldnt be. And what it wouldnt be, it would. You see?

FugeeBRONZE Member
Cooler than bubblegum!
2,501 posts

Posted:
I am in the process of getting a small plot south of Belize city and doing some scouting once I am set up there. I am having second thoughts about the location though. I have never been to Belize and everyone has told me I should wait and go there first. I am headed down in the spring at the end of the tourist season.

My father has been to Belize but has had little advice other than "you should go".

Either way I am sick of the place I am in ATM and ready for another change, so Belize here I come.

Advice is always welcome.

EmmCeeeFFBRONZE Member
145 posts

Posted:
Out of everywhere in Belize Belize city would be the place to avoid in my opinion. As the mangroves were stripped away the defence agains the storms each year also vanished and the city stated to get hit by more severe weather.

In turn this meant that all of the politicians uped and left also, making there way to the new capital of Belmopan. This move left Belize city to the masses and now is the heart of all gnag related activity and crime.

In my personal opinion unless you need to go to certain places specific to Belize city there is little to see or do, the only reason I ever went there was to go to the airport or to go to the ferry terminal out to the Cayes.

As far as buying property I would have to agree with other people that it would be best to stay in Belize a little while and scout areas out of potential interest. Obviously this is a large investment and you don't want to get it wrong or realise afterwards that a better location was available.

San Ignacio is a great little town, close to the Guatemalan border with good conenctions to teh rest of Belize. The town itself has everything you need to survive and some great people to go along with it. Also the base town for most Gap year organisiations from the UK and the states.

The surrounding villages of San ignacio are generally small and farm filled. Spanish Lookout being the largest nearby is fairly remote with little going on. These smaller towns comprise (generally) of two main groups of people, spanish speaking and menonites...

Belmopan is in essence a large bus station, it acts as the hub for most bus routes in Belize. Although there is little to do there.

As I said in my previous post, land around the Humming bird highway is amazingly scenic, there is still plenty of forest and hills with the highway winding its way through it all. A favourite location of mine and would love to go back to cycle the length of it.

When you get right down south you get to the much mroe traditional life in Belize, it is much mroe remote and culurally is massivly different from the rest of the country, this area can be prone to flooding in the rainy season.

To cut a long story short, I would recomend to look at sites in the Cayo district, San Ignacio and it's surrounding areas offer more in all. If however you just want a jungle retreat then something along the humming bird highway may be a place to look aswell.

If i had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isnt. And contrary wise, what is, it wouldnt be. And what it wouldnt be, it would. You see?

FugeeBRONZE Member
Cooler than bubblegum!
2,501 posts

Posted:
Good thing everything in Belize takes ages. I am nowhere near committed. I really should just break down and make the drive before the rain starts back up. Get a better perspective on what I am, so far, heading into blindly. Thanks for the input.

Page: ...