Forums > Social Discussion > Will poi make you stronger?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
DragonOnTheMoonSILVER Member
stranger
6 posts

Posted:
I just started spinning poi three days ago, and the after the first day, my arms were kinda sore. So I'm just wondering if it will make my arms stronger? On a different note, poi are awesome and I am so glad I picked it up.

natasqiaddict
489 posts

Posted:
You you will build up more muscles (if you don't have them already) but it won't get you past a certain point because it is repetitive movement of the same type...

If you use heavier and heavier poi, ie. cylinders to cathedrals to cannonballs, yeah, you'll get a lot stronger.

Our cannonballs are around 2kg each.

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
Yeah you will get very strong if you use heavy heads. My upper body got the living daylight sculpted out of it. It's not a ton stronger really, just a ton sculpted. Now i regularly get comments of how sexy or cute I look without a shirt on, which would be quite the opposite reaction before I started laugh3 I was a complete twig. And those Canonballs sound like a workout is the only purpose o0 I wouldn't mind that just for exercise purposes.

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

EpitomeOfNoviceGOLD Member
Putting the "FUN" in fundamental since 1981
787 posts

Posted:
Yup, my arms, back, and shoulders look like I go to the gym now that I've moved up to the monkeyfists. Pretty awesome and I have better endurance and hand eye coordination as well! grin

~Rock on!~

"As the pattern gets more intricate and subtle, being swept along is no longer enough"-Waking Life

(All you RLers this is epitome_of_lame *waves hello*)

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Yes, your power will improve - but as Nat said: only to a certain degree.

If you consider a professional performers career, I'd still advise the gym and to loose a few pounds willingly. wink

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Or go rock climbing. tongue2

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Icarus FordeBRONZE Member
Just Icarus//Spinner//Pyro//Geek
261 posts

Posted:
Rock climbing is good.

I've noticed that with staff my arms have got a lot more toned and stuff - not to mention stronger. But as everyone else has said, it's only to a certain extent - once they build up to the levels needed to do the moves you're pulling off, they won't just keep going, you're going to have to increase the resistance levels on them.

Speaking of which, I should actually start going to the gym.

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
owner of the group property
1,277 posts

Posted:
Weird. I didn't gain any muscle mass, but I started being able to shoot lasers from my eyes and smell injustice...

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

2,280 posts

Posted:
O god I thought I was the only one!

SoopaSILVER Member
As Himself
150 posts

Posted:
I haven't gained any mass, but I am a bit more toned, but that's to be expected from just pure logic, physical activity=fat loss

2,280 posts

Posted:
What fat? lol

SoopaSILVER Member
As Himself
150 posts

Posted:
Well fine then...

2,280 posts

Posted:
Lol I have like no fat. I managed to give myself abs in less than a week because of that haha. I thought it was pretty funny myself. It only took 300 situps a night for 3 nights laugh3 When I made my really heavy heads, those made me quite a bit stronger and I may want to use those more just because of that.

SoopaSILVER Member
As Himself
150 posts

Posted:
...that's a lot of sit ups

MidkiffBRONZE Member
shadow stranger
462 posts

Posted:
well my grandma literally does 1000 sit ups a day and walks 5 miles i think you guys have a lot of catchin up to do

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able, and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" - Epicurus

triptricianSILVER Member
UFO Spotting
350 posts

Posted:
my 92 yo great grandma busts out on the ab king pro for only six minutes a day. She reckons you must follow the instructions in the booklet hence the reason six minutes only

would rather have a bottle-in-front-of-me than a frontal lobotomy

"The dangers of life are infinate and among them is safety"(geothe)

261 posts

Posted:
Oh yeah?

Well, my grandmother bench-presses a coffin every day, 100 reps.

Not even kidding.

/sarcasm.

liquidtrancei dream in circles...
336 posts

Posted:
defo noticed a big difference in arms, shoulders, back and abs for tone, you won't become he-man but you'll get into pretty good shape. A nice point is that once you've been spinning for a while you develop really good balance, coordination and flexability, along with being very precise and having very well trained muscles this means that martial arts come quite easily, you can move much better than an average joe smile

even chuck norris can't pin you down if your on fire

johndhaiveGOLD Member
Kebab Embalmer
316 posts

Posted:
yah it will make your arms strong! masteurbating makes arms strong as well, but poi will make it stronger for longer mastuerbating purposes! ahahahahaha! i'm freaking drunk!

Tam tam tam cheketitamtam, ketumpantam, ketumpan kete kete kete, tam tam tam ketumpanketey!

DragonOnTheMoonSILVER Member
stranger
6 posts

Posted:
Okay thanks for all the answers, I did not expect so many. Also, instead of making a new thread, how long did you wait before using flaming poi for the first time?

2,280 posts

Posted:
I waited a month. More specifically, till I could spin for 10 minutes straight without hitting myself.

787 posts

Posted:
I waited 6 months and still have no nerve when they're lit (even though I've only had 6 short opportunities), Friday is my 1 year anniversary and my goal for the weekend is to get my lit skill level even with my "practice mode" abilities over the weekend at the same festival I picked up my first pair. redface

You might be a transferal in medium prodigy like SoD if you're lucky! grin

~Rock on!~

"As the pattern gets more intricate and subtle, being swept along is no longer enough"-Waking Life

2,280 posts

Posted:
"Transferal in medium prodigy..." Now there's a phrase I don't understand lol. I think it has do do with how quick I learned tongue2

787 posts

Posted:
I thought it's because you're not an overly cautious, highly meticulous, walking probability calculator with integrated data bank of random facts like myself... tongue2 In essence, I freak myself out over the "what if" factor.

Not that it doesn't get on my own nerves because the nature never turns off! *faint* crazy

You just wait till I balance the two, I'll dance circles around ya! Note I said "DANCE!!!" wink *fake trash talking is fun LOL*

~Rock on!~

SoopaSILVER Member
As Himself
150 posts

Posted:
I waited 8 months to light up for the first time

I wanted to for forever but I considered it one of those things only the experienced poi spinner do, it was like the ultimate goal and I still think of it the same way. More so now because of safety than anything else, it's simply to dangerous for the performer to be inexperienced for him/her and everyone around them IMO

That's just my $.02

2,280 posts

Posted:
Yeah, it kinda depends on how fast you learn and how comfortable you are with your spinning.

That's my two one hundredths of one United States of America Dollar.

SoopaSILVER Member
As Himself
150 posts

Posted:

Non-Https Image Link

I agree though, I know a guy that has been spinning for a month less than me but is ridiculously better

It's really all about how comfortable you are in your ability, fire is a scary thing though, I still get that fluttery feeling when I light up for the first time of the night

261 posts

Posted:
Epitome:

Non-Https Image Link

I waited about... Oh, about two weeks till I first lit up. Granted, I was with someone who has been doing staff for 12 years, so I was fairly confident I was in safe hands... But heck, it's one massive rush when the flames get going, the roar is in your ears, the kero fumes are in your nose and the beat starts as well.

Something that you'll never forget.

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
owner of the group property
1,277 posts

Posted:
I waited about three months, but not for any real reason. I wanted someone who had done it before to supervise and show me their setup, but I don't know many people and the ones I do are busy tongue2 It also took me a bit to get the parts for my fire poi.

If I had been handed fire poi, I probably would have burned after my first couple of weeks. At the very least, you can just spin them without doing any tricks and it's awesome because they're on fire. tongue2

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
I did my first burn about a month or so after I'd started. I got used to spinning the fire poi on their own and when I did light up for the first time I only did the 2 beat weave and a bit of windmilly stuff... it was only the stuff I really felt super comfy with.

hug

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Hmmm.... Six months or so, on a whim. Was a load of fun, but gone off fire a bit. Does not interest me as much.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Page: