Page:
kreepinKWIKSILVER Member
stranger
18 posts

Posted:
hello. i'm new to home of poi and the whole poi world smile
i've used sock poi with tennis balls and just today got my flowlight with colecord and such and i'm having trouble getting it comfortable..
i'm not talking like personal preference on heads or anything just how is everything connected?

i have the cord, swivels, flowlights, quicklinks, and the handles with swivels..

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
Well, I'm assuming you have the crystal case because that seems to be what most people have.

What I like to do is take 4ft of Colecord and tie just a simple knot (both ends together in a loop), and have that knot at the bottom swivel so it acts like a stopper knot. Then do a larks head knot to attach it to the top one.

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
owner of the group property
1,277 posts

Posted:
I would put the quicklink through the swivel and the flowlight, tie the cord to the other end of the swivel, and tie the other end of the cord to the handle swivel. If you need any recommendations on knots for this I can try and dig up some pictures of my rig, but it shouldn't be too hard to play around and find something that works. Hard to beat overhand knots.

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

kreepinKWIKSILVER Member
stranger
18 posts

Posted:
thank you for the responses. i do have the crystal cases and the quicklinks don't really fit through those. sorry i didn't mention that.

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
Ah, if they don't fit then honestly I would skip them and skip swivels by the head (never had head swivels on any of my flowtoys and never missed them). I would tie a loop into the cord (if you're not using doubled cord) and just attach the cord to the crystal case with a lark's head. The lark's head is your best friends on poi with removable parts.

kreepinKWIKSILVER Member
stranger
18 posts

Posted:
i think i've got it figured out now. i have lengths of 5ft so i folded it in half. tied the ends together slid the flowlight on and then larked it through the handle which has swivels.. lol larked. i had to tie another knot though on the light end to shorten it.. i saw on the "how to use colecord" video by playpoi he said to use 13ft per pair of poi.. any ideas on why?

i know its all on preference but do most people use both flowlight in the same direction or do opp.?
i know i'm probably coming off somewhat aggressive/annoying i'm just excited by all this to learn to entertain to enjoy myself

2,280 posts

Posted:
Trust me I know, that excitement won't go down for a long time laugh3 Should see it when you get into making your own wicks. I remember the feeling f when I got into it, I just wanted to talk about poi constantly and ask EVERYTHING! So feel free to ask away.

As for the lights, I'm pretty sure most people put them same direction and the top facing down.

kreepinKWIKSILVER Member
stranger
18 posts

Posted:
did you always intend on moving to fire? i don't really have any intentions on moving to fire right now but who knows what the future holds. i've heard people get together near me on tuesday nights at dog hill cherokee park but i haven't seen anyone.. like i said i'm new and i am under the influence that the longer the cord the harder but where it shows you to make your own it says within your pits.

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
I wasn't even aware that people did it without fire when I started tongue2

An arm's length is a good length to begin with, nice and slow for getting the hang of your big basic moves. Some people migrate to shorter. I actually migrated to shorter poi, then back to longer poi since you can always wrap long poi but you can't lengthen short poi...

2,280 posts

Posted:
Well, yes, but I had no idea it would be soon. I was planning after life 5 years or so laugh3 I was not at all planning for 1 month. I also greatly regretted my fire head choice... a lot. I hate cathedral heads so much, them and their small squareness tongue2 I wish I chose the 4" Mura wick, I was deciding between the two.As for the cord, just go arm length. I went there, tried moving longer and shorter. I prefer it just about arm length. I'm not moving for being able to wrap around my hand twice and have it rest nicely in my palm. Which is just about arm length anyways for me.

kreepinKWIKSILVER Member
stranger
18 posts

Posted:
i got into one night one of my friends had some glowsticks on one shoe string and he just spun that around with one hand and it was like nothing i had ever seen before. i immediately looked into everything i could find about it. i came to poi and fire spinning. i've seen glowstick sites and others similar but this site is way more legit and down to earth with everything. i love it. i only see myself with the lights but maybe oneday fire but i do highly respect the fire spinners and understand that what they do is on a whole different level than what i'm doing. i'm sure mistakes hurt way worse with fire smile. do people use longer than their pits? like really long cord?

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
I believe Noah Moore, in the Encyclo-Poi-Dia vol. 1, uses unusually long poi that are longer than his arms. At least it seems like they must be, because he does some rope dart tricks I've never been able to import to poi, and I know mine are on the longer side of what's common.

2,280 posts

Posted:
You can, I've looked into it, butnever got to it, which I can very easily because all I have to do is take someif the extra chain down on one of my sets. You might want to look into rope dart though if you want REALLY long. And no fire actually doesn't hurt much at all unless you have monkeyfist heads. Inwhich case, those hurt anyways because they're rock hard.

kreepinKWIKSILVER Member
stranger
18 posts

Posted:
i made a monkey fist rope dart actually just to play around with but i haven't really played with it. more into poi. the integration of rope dart tricks into poi though caught my attention for sure is there a video i could see? i've just gotten down 5beat weaves forwards and back. i don't know a whole lot of things with it but i'm trying to get used to the rythms oh also 2beat forward behind the back. i like the idea of not doing tricks but feeling the movement but for now i'm getting the tricks down so i can move comfortably

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
(And for the record, flowlight rope darts are easy to make and lots of fun. Just double your arm span in colecord, plus enough for a loop around one of your wrists [or use a single loop handle if you want to get fancy].}

2,280 posts

Posted:
Yeah I got a rope dart too, I thought it would be really fun, but I just can't get into it at all. It's just not fun... Of course sometimes that changes when you see lights or fire. I have enough Colecord that I bought just for making a rope dart with an LED ball from HoP, but I have so little fun with rope dart that I've never bothered to even unwrap the Colecord.

liquidtrancei dream in circles...
336 posts

Posted:
ropedarts tricky to get started in, once you get over a few hurdles and concepts though it becomes quite fascinating making up more and more complicated knots to strike out of smile

even chuck norris can't pin you down if your on fire

JaredWSILVER Member
enthusiast
375 posts

Posted:
Little bit late as usual laugh3 but here's my flowlight setup.

Non-Https Image Link

kreepinKWIKSILVER Member
stranger
18 posts

Posted:
thats cool man. what length colecord are your handles? thats basically how i have mine now.

2,280 posts

Posted:
Mind telling me how you tied those handles? I'm practically drooling waiting for Flowlight fund to get to $100 to get everything I need.

kreepinKWIKSILVER Member
stranger
18 posts

Posted:
it looks like he tied it the same as he tied the other side of the swivel. i may be wrong but i believe he put one end through tied and knot put the other end through the swivel the opposite way tie a knot pull them even and tie a knot around the double

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
I have mine like JaredW's except shorter handles. I already have flowlights with double loop handles and wanted some cheap poi i could afford to lose...

pack of 3 tennis balls - £1
2 x no10 swivels - £2.06
2 x 1 metre colecord - £1.60

cut a bit off one end of the each cord to make the handles
punch hole with screwdriver in each tennis ball and push colecord through (again with screwdriver) knot on the other side of the tennis ball.

A bit short but perfect for £4.66 and very good for orbitals. (I would have a breakdown if I lost my Hyperlights and have already lost 2 pairs of flowlights on nights out)

Same sort of thing applies to my flowlights, but they are a bit longer, have double loop handles and a knot before the swivel

Non-Https Image Link

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Geeza: Did you weight those? Because I have always found tennis balls too light.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

kreepinKWIKSILVER Member
stranger
18 posts

Posted:
with my sock poi like i said they have tennis balls in them and they are too light for me but what i did is bought some of those spiky balls with air in them in the toy isle and cut the top of and slid that over the head like a cover. it added enough weight that i could spin comfortably. what i normally practice with.

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
I have a set of poi made out of doorknobs. (The ones that you screw into the floor.)

Two on the head, one on the handle and that works nicely. No swivels or anything. Will get some photos if anyone wants.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

liquidtrancei dream in circles...
336 posts

Posted:
@geeza, i'd recommend switching out your colecord handles for ones made of ribbon, best decision I ever made, SO comfortable grin

even chuck norris can't pin you down if your on fire

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
They are quite light but not as light as a single flowlight or even as light as glowsticks. I could always poke popcorn seeds into them if i wanted them heavier i suppose.

What sort of ribbon, it might have been you that suggested using suitcase ribbon but i had no idea what this meant. I find Colecord pretty soft really, especially compared to my old leather handles on my monkeyfists

kreepinKWIKSILVER Member
stranger
18 posts

Posted:
i like the handles they use on the "how to make and use colecord" video on playpoi. it looks so simple and comfortable. i'm interested in seeing these doorknob poi. smile

2,280 posts

Posted:
What I want to do is make Colecord knob-ish handles. I made one with some extra cord I had laying around and I like the idea a lot. I could also make it a lot wider if I knew how to do lets say a 12 strand sennit, I could try though I think I get the principle of it. But what i did was pretty much a tiny Isis head. I can even attach a swivel to it.

Smurf24029GOLD Member
Poi Master Smurf
343 posts

Posted:
My socks from HOP with my pro series LED balls. Also what is unique about my poi is that I have 10 pennies sewed into some soft material. That is put inside the sock and tied into a knot. Fantastic for throws

Fly High
Spin Hard
Don't Stop

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
Screw loop handles. It's all about the knob grips, baby. ;P (PX3 handles work well for flowlights too.)

Page: