Forums > Social Discussion > Best excuse to get rid of newbs using your gear?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
keyarghahPLATINUM Member
Woodford is Goodford..!
241 posts

Posted:
Newb attack. Weve all been there.

When a newb comes up to you the instant youve lit up, gives you some explanation about he is better at "it" that you are, and demands a to play with your so carefully hand constructed weight perfect staff/poi RIGHT NOW.

Then proceeds to show off to his mates doing a 2 beat or similar, as they decide they can also have a go, using your fuel.
Usually ends in them dropping it/bending staff/hitting themselves in the nuts/them leaving for another beer.

..and usually followed by "can you fire breathe? here give me some vodka".

So! Whats your best excuse to stop them from TOUCHING YOUR STUFF.?!
mad

'FREE HUGGIES!!'

D3l1r1umbefore delirium there was... delight
57 posts

Posted:
I had brought my led poi and a pair of sock poi with me to this festival in NYC, when people asked if they could use them I just handed them the socks until I saw that they were decent.

The people who were good even taught me a few things and I passed them the LEDs if they wanted to use them. The people who werent just looked silly and my poi were safe tongue2

TechSpecnewbie
40 posts

Posted:
It honestly depends on what I am doing really. Though for breakable's and things that can be damaged my usual response is for the purpose to fork over however much cash it cost me to purchase said object. You know, just in case they accidently drop it.

I have discovered that most people don't like letting someone else hold 50-115$ so they can screw around and potentially break something.

As far as making people shoe away I usually just start breathing flame when they get inquisitive ((not in their direction mind you wink ))

There is one other method of making people stay away.....

Incorporate your fire spinning into your occult/religious practices.
EDITED_BY: TechSpec (1284423345)

fire me upBRONZE Member
stranger
11 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: D3l1r1umI had brought my led poi and a pair of sock poi with me to this festival in NYC, when people asked if they could use them I just handed them the socks until I saw that they were decent.

The people who were good even taught me a few things and I passed them the LEDs if they wanted to use them. The people who werent just looked silly and my poi were safe tongue2

That's a great idea. I will bring my practice hoops with me from now on!

poismylovepoi addict
196 posts

Posted:
keep a gnarly picture of a fire burn on my phone and show them. maybe that would scare them off.

to spin or not to spin, that is the question.

StrangeChildGOLD Member
kinetically enthused
16 posts

Posted:
MINE!!!! always works first time! grin

The harder thing is if you let people you've just met have a go once or twice as a treat... then they assume that it's okay to continue doing so in future.

(No, it's really not a good idea to relight them once they've burnt out... YOU PUT THEM IN WATER?? AUGH!)
EDITED_BY: StrangeChild (1284909803)

It's been lovely but I have to scream now

for %15 HOP discount use "Aurelia"

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
I don't let anyone I don't know or I know isn't good use my fire poi actually on fire. Although I'll usually let people use them unlit or my Flowlights or even socks if I ever ever use them. I say my Flowlights because with the double mass on they're pretty much indestructible. Same with my fire poi. But not just anyone can ever spin my Isis heads lit or unlit, those are my babies =3

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

poismylovepoi addict
196 posts

Posted:
oooohhhh, hey, you have isis poi? I was wondering, how are those? do they have a decent weight? because im going to buy my first fire poi soon and was thinking of buying a pair of those but i need to find out how they are.

to spin or not to spin, that is the question.

Page: