Forums > Social Discussion > Best excuse to get rid of newbs using your gear?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
keyarghahPLATINUM Member
Woodford is Goodford..!
241 posts

Posted:
Newb attack. Weve all been there.

When a newb comes up to you the instant youve lit up, gives you some explanation about he is better at "it" that you are, and demands a to play with your so carefully hand constructed weight perfect staff/poi RIGHT NOW.

Then proceeds to show off to his mates doing a 2 beat or similar, as they decide they can also have a go, using your fuel.
Usually ends in them dropping it/bending staff/hitting themselves in the nuts/them leaving for another beer.

..and usually followed by "can you fire breathe? here give me some vodka".

So! Whats your best excuse to stop them from TOUCHING YOUR STUFF.?!
mad

'FREE HUGGIES!!'

Icarus FordeBRONZE Member
Just Icarus//Spinner//Pyro//Geek
261 posts

Posted:
That's why I prefer fire... People are so much more cautious about fire. Just send a fireball towards them, they usually hightail it. grin

FugeeBRONZE Member
Cooler than bubblegum!
2,501 posts

Posted:
I do anything to avoid violence but with me there is a free hit and after that I will defend myself. Someone that will strike you again after you didn't return their first strike is out to hurt more than your pride. And sorry if it offends anyone but that includes a female that cannot be restrained.

IF: Fire is great for that reason, but you can't always have fire. frown
EDITED_BY: Refuge Crew (1276840655)
EDIT_REASON: grammar boo boo

The popcorn extends life... The popcorn expands consciousness...

Smurf24029GOLD Member
Poi Master Smurf
343 posts

Posted:
Not entirely true with the fire. I have a rule which is that no fire is allowed without real experience and some skill. I have had people ask me if they can try my fire. Some joking some serious.

Fly High
Spin Hard
Don't Stop

SoopaSILVER Member
As Himself
150 posts

Posted:
I've only ever had a problem with someone physically trying to take my poi from me and it was at the infamous afterlife

To which I responded with 2 or 3 punches to which they fell and then a long winded explanation to security that they were attempting to rob me

I would like to thank that person now though because I have since then become good friends with Mark, the owner and now get in free lol

EpitomeOfNoviceGOLD Member
Putting the "FUN" in fundamental since 1981
787 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Refuge CrewAn assault on a man is the same as on a woman IMO. To be honest, I'll respect a woman a far as she will respect me, equality... Okaaay. Females that will not be accountable for their actions often use their sex as a way to take advantage of a man. I'd simply snatch them right back from her!

I feel the same way about that and honestly women go for blood in a fight from one's I've witnessed. I'm a firm believer in true equal opportunity and it's nice to hear a man tell it how it is!

I've noticed that at clubs/raves with glow poi the obnoxious little candy ravers never come up to me because I naturally have the "hipster scowl" when I'm doing something I concentrate on that seems to deter all annoying children and attracts those who can actually hold a conversation and have some self confidence/respect (along with use their real name). wink

~Rock on!~

"As the pattern gets more intricate and subtle, being swept along is no longer enough"-Waking Life

(All you RLers this is epitome_of_lame *waves hello*)

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
Oh man, i love hitting women, wish society shared our views

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

SoopaSILVER Member
As Himself
150 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: EpitomeOfNovice (along with use their real name). wink

Don't even get me started....

Smurf24029GOLD Member
Poi Master Smurf
343 posts

Posted:
I like my "Rave name" It was my name long before I ever started partying

Fly High
Spin Hard
Don't Stop

anelaenin the sky
30 posts

Posted:
Halo, WoW, psn in general... no one calls me anelaen. i'm just josh. woop woop, real namage. Ravers call me "that dude who gives massages." That is, before I quit because it was all jailbait and cops.

"you have to imagine the impossible is merely preposterous"

787 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: SoopaDon't even get me started....

Oh the LULZ!!!!!!! devil

~Rock on!~

"As the pattern gets more intricate and subtle, being swept along is no longer enough"-Waking Life

SoopaSILVER Member
As Himself
150 posts

Posted:
My name is Ian

That gets so annoying after a while

"Hey I'm (insert name)"

"I'm Ian"

"Whats your name?"

"I'm Ian"

"No your name!"

"My name is Ian!"

"Why is that your rave name? Do you roll all the time or something?"

T-S-ASILVER Member
Magic Monkey Juice
252 posts

Posted:
WTF is a "Rave name"?

"We were making castles in the sand: Now we swim in the seas that swept them away"

787 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: T-S-AWTF is a "Rave name"?

The sad thing is I had to ask it a few years after going to raves back in the 90s, it's basically a name people demand to be called instead of their real name like "princess moonbeam sprinkles" and these people also tend to say they have "Rave parents" who they call mom and dad. It's an annoying practice that normally only candy ravers take part in and I was never one of those even though I've been in the scene 12 years...

Feel blessed no one has ever demanded you call them "cherry merry muffin" or something similar and also wish to be taken seriously! LOL

~Rock on!~

T-S-ASILVER Member
Magic Monkey Juice
252 posts

Posted:
Oh dear... Now I need to know what "Candy Ravers" are?

I hate the term "rave" tongue2

"We were making castles in the sand: Now we swim in the seas that swept them away"

787 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: T-S-AOh dear... Now I need to know what "Candy Ravers" are

Non-Https Image Link

^^^
This kind...

*doubts she would take them seriously if they did use their real name tongue2 *

~Rock on!~

T-S-ASILVER Member
Magic Monkey Juice
252 posts

Posted:
Oh dear...

That's all I have to say.

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:

Non-Https Image Link

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

787 posts

Posted:
Poje, that pic will always scare me LOL I can imagine that girl yelling "I love teh purple kool-aid!!!!!!!"

lolsign

~Rock on!~

T-S-ASILVER Member
Magic Monkey Juice
252 posts

Posted:
That looks like far FAR too much effort spent on a night out.
Looks silly too.

But if they are happy looking silly, who am I to say it's wrong, So long as they are happy for me to be entertain by them looking silly all is fine tongue2

SoopaSILVER Member
As Himself
150 posts

Posted:
PLUR-People Look Ugly Rolling

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
owner of the group property
1,277 posts

Posted:
At the last show I went to I'm ashamed to say I let my flowlights get used by a candy raver with a douchey mohawk. What's worse, they got photographed doing crappy tricks with my flowlights. Needless to say I had to burn those lights and order new ones... tongue2

(Seriously, don't try to combine punk and candy raver. It just doesn't work. Ever. For anyone.)

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
chitchat

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

SoopaSILVER Member
As Himself
150 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: FireTomchitchat

huh?

And I used a lot of other peoples gear this last weekend

I r not noob tho.......

787 posts

Posted:
Yeah I let someone I know use my stuff last weekend and now definitively know they're too rough with it and lack respect when I say (don't even try that) so they don't get to anymore!

~Rock on!~

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
I used a million things last night tongue2 I got to try a giant 3 section staff, levistick, torch poi, slackline, someone's ultralight staffs... you get the point. But I think I struck them as someone that knew what they were doing. The only thing I didn't get to try is a flowlight levistick, but I got to try one of her other levisticks smile She described levistick as a great lesson on how to get the censored out of the way grin

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

ushalldietonightstranger
3 posts

Posted:
HELL YEAH!!! best excuse ever ... even works with simple stuff like glowstiks!!!

SomeguitaristGOLD Member
stranger
11 posts

Posted:
Usually, I'll let them play around with whatever warmup/cheap equipment I have, and if they prove they actually know what they're doing, they're more than welcome to join.

I've had some equipment damaged using that method, but then again I've also made some really good friends, and learned a bunch of new tricks from people that surprised me with how good they were.

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
^^^ MY goodness, a moderate reasonable perspective posted on the internet.

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
I should probably admit at this late stage that I've never honestly asked someone for fire spinning accreditation. It was one of those "joke" things I've heard so much about, I thought I'd give one a try.

Honestly, I don't need an excuse not to let people use my gear... Theres no way I'd be letting people use fire right off the bat with my equip. They can have a diddle on my socks for a bit or my less expensive glow equip, and if they look like they know what they're doing, then they can use whatever I think is appropriate for them to use.

hug

Warior DrakeSILVER Member
The Dragon Professor
203 posts

Posted:
Wonder if I should even be posting as I don't own any gear of my own =P

Well... I do, but the only thing I've got is a crappy torch and no one's ever asked to use it since all I do is breathing with it and no way in hell would I give someone fire to breathe if I had never done it with them without fire. I also have my "ifrit mockup" as I work on the real thing, again, no chance in hell is anyone getting a wrist mounted flamethrower from me, just too many things that can go wrong.

I am getting into building gear though, so I'll have stuff in the next week or so, basically as soon as I get money. I never burn solo, well factoring that I don't own any gear that might've been obvious but even still I never intend on burning without a safety. To that extent I don't ever think I'll need much more of an excuse than "back the censored off or my pal there'll make you". If its someone I'd been talking with and seen spin with my practice stuff that's one thing, depends on the person really. If its a pal then yeah, I only keep friends I can trust and they've always been really awesome with me, even to the point of offering their gear at the start of the night before they even burn. Lucked out with some great people there. If they're obnoxious at all there will simply be a "no". If they press the matter it will be addressed by myself, my safety, and any other applicable members of society who I happen to be on good terms with in the vicinity... or a security guard/cop if I'm lucky enough to be in an area where they won't yell at me for spinning in the first place.

Don't let your world end with you

p.s. No, just in case you're going to ask, I did not misspell Warrior, its supposed to be like that.

Page: