Forums > Social Discussion > Best excuse to get rid of newbs using your gear?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
keyarghahPLATINUM Member
Woodford is Goodford..!
241 posts

Posted:
Newb attack. Weve all been there.

When a newb comes up to you the instant youve lit up, gives you some explanation about he is better at "it" that you are, and demands a to play with your so carefully hand constructed weight perfect staff/poi RIGHT NOW.

Then proceeds to show off to his mates doing a 2 beat or similar, as they decide they can also have a go, using your fuel.
Usually ends in them dropping it/bending staff/hitting themselves in the nuts/them leaving for another beer.

..and usually followed by "can you fire breathe? here give me some vodka".

So! Whats your best excuse to stop them from TOUCHING YOUR STUFF.?!
mad

'FREE HUGGIES!!'

SoopaSILVER Member
As Himself
150 posts

Posted:
He showed eventually, we had some fun (and some scares) spinning

(drunk people should never be allowed to handle fire)

FugeeBRONZE Member
Cooler than bubblegum!
2,501 posts

Posted:
Nick's a good guy I am sure if he would have known, he would have been there sooner.

The popcorn extends life... The popcorn expands consciousness...

SoopaSILVER Member
As Himself
150 posts

Posted:
I was only pissed at first lol I enjoyed spinning though

And he seems like a busy dude, knowing that now I understand his delay, I was just pissed at the time because I had no warning lol

the screw upstranger
5 posts

Posted:
let them have a go and laugh as they hit them self in the nuts/face

someday i will put something witty up here

triptricianSILVER Member
UFO Spotting
350 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: the screw uplet them have a go and laugh as they hit them self in the nuts/face

Funny you mention that my dad did the same thing with my glow balls drunk. Insisted on having a go. Started, got 2 spins in one wrapped around his head and smacked him in the face and the other smacked him in the balls. my poi were back in my possession quite quickly after that

would rather have a bottle-in-front-of-me than a frontal lobotomy

"The dangers of life are infinate and among them is safety"(geothe)

~FlreFly~stranger
1 post

Posted:
I love getting other people interested in fire spinning. Means I have a few more people to play with. I would only let them borrow my cheep fabric poi with the tails however and tell them about home of poi, if they are really into it they should get their own gear and join you.

The only person that's been lucky enough to borrow my fire poi is my lil sis. She deffinately understood the rule. You break them, you buy me a nice new shiny pair :o)

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
What is your rule? Don't light them? haha

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

keyarghahPLATINUM Member
Woodford is Goodford..!
241 posts

Posted:

THREAD WIN!! hehe

Originally Posted By: mcpYou're such a noob. You spell noob like noob, a newb is a single small step up from a noob.

Meg, whatever. You know im still scarred from that comment!! cry
dammit. trying to elevate myself beyond newb status. or NOOB or whatever. fine ill conform.

also, i was expecting better noob hating from you.

'FREE HUGGIES!!'

DrexFactorGOLD Member
Defeats the purpose
73 posts

Posted:
I used to get real bent out of shape about this, but then on a lark I asked one such guy to spin unlit for me first and it turned out he wasn't that bad--he was traveling and just didn't have his fire poi with him. Now I don't have a problem telling people no if after spinning them for a couple minutes they clearly aren't competent with the tool.

It's a lot more problematic in clubs when I bring my LED poi along...in those cases I usually just let the person play with them and within 2 minutes they will brain themselves on my flowtoys and just give them back in boredom and pain. So far it's worked every time smile

Peace,
Drex

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
i don't mind people spinning my staff if they ask. But if i notice they are REALLY bad I'll tell them that they have 2 drops left before they are done.

And don't ask me to use it while im spinning it.

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

SoopaSILVER Member
As Himself
150 posts

Posted:
I honestly have to say though, through this entire thing what I hate more than noobs interrupting me to use my gear, when people won't let me check out their gear if I like it

Like "oh these flowlights are my babies and no one spins them but me" but then all they do is a 2 beat and a corkscrew

That really bothers me

Kerosene_FalconSILVER Member
fire twirly girly
46 posts

Posted:
I don't mind sharing my staff or poi, but people usually get 20 questions from me first, "have you done this before, have you been drinking/smoking/high , are your clothes natural fibres etc",
I just remember when I was first into it and how nice people were to let me have a go

Of course my horse is clumsy he has two left feet

T-S-ASILVER Member
Magic Monkey Juice
252 posts

Posted:
I was doing a paid performance for someones wedding the other day. I was having a little warm up spin around the corner and some kids came and asked if they could have a go, I'm a friendly person and handed my new wicks over too them to use the last of the fuel that was in them.

After flinging them around in what I can only assume was an attempt at a weave, they then asked me to refuel them for them and I declined as I only had a limited amount and told them I was doing a wedding.

About 30 min into the wedding the same guys turned up and came and stood in front of me, questioning me about it and asking when I was doing it. I told them now.

"ahh give us a go, go on let me have a go, it will be fine"

I told him it was a paid performance, i was working and that if he wanted a go he would have to ask the people paying for it.

It took about 20 minutes to get him to knob off.

Excuses are needed tongue2

"We were making castles in the sand: Now we swim in the seas that swept them away"

EpitomeOfNoviceGOLD Member
Putting the "FUN" in fundamental since 1981
787 posts

Posted:
I shared my fire poi sets at festival when we had spin jams mainly with other people who had their own sets and wanted to try different types along with new people who took the appropriate classes as well. We had some drunks stumble down to the area forcing us to have a guarded collective fuel dump after one was ready to put out a cigarette in my fuel can! *I was spinning at the time, my friends jumped in, and I had a minimal conniption*

I basically stated to anyone who wanted to try that intoxication and spinning don't mix and if they can't handle themselves around a fuel dump they can't handle fire poi. However all of those who wanted to share and were clearly qualified I was all good with and we treated each others equipment with the respect we'd treat our own and it was a good time to make new friends.

First time ever I had to say "No" to a fire inquiry, but had a good reasoning behind my answer (seemed to be the answer all of us had to the drunks LOL). wink

~Rock on!~

"As the pattern gets more intricate and subtle, being swept along is no longer enough"-Waking Life

(All you RLers this is epitome_of_lame *waves hello*)

JaredWSILVER Member
enthusiast
375 posts

Posted:
I've gotten pretty sick of people asking me to use my stuff lately. People I actually know I don't mind so much. All my friends know they can just come grab my gear and use it, and I know all my friends are going to be careful with it.

Even some of strangers that have asked to use it have been really cool about it. I've had people sit down and watch, then when I'm done ask if I mind them spinning. Or just come over to talk and see what they are. These people are great, and most times I've found that the ones who are respectful about it, are good at it and usually better than me. I've even learned some stuff from watching other people spin my poi. The ones who aren't so great, well they're at least interested in spinning poi, not just drugs and flashy lights. So simply telling them the poi can't take the abuse and pointing them to to all the good online resources to learn has done the trick.

But the people that come running (yes I have actually had people running at me) every single time I turn them on, and nearly demand that they get to use them right then and there are really starting to piss me off.
I've literally had people line up waiting to play with them or begging for light shows. Then they get passed around without my approval, and most of them just won't shut up if I say no.
I've had people walk up while I'm still spinning, ask if they can have them, then get mad at me because I wouldn't hand them over, or start talking about how they can do it better.
I've even had people follow me into the parking lot after I left the floor because I couldn't go more than two minutes without people making me stop, then bitch in the parking lot like it wasn't obvious I was trying to get away from them.
These guys have pretty well put an end to the loaning of my poi.

FugeeBRONZE Member
Cooler than bubblegum!
2,501 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: JaredWAll my friends know they can just come grab my gear and use it, and I know all my friends are going to be careful with it.

PWAH HA HA HA HA! ROTFDYING!

JaredWSILVER Member
enthusiast
375 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Refuge CrewOriginally Posted By: JaredWAll my friends know they can just come grab my gear and use it, and I know all my friends are going to be careful with it.

PWAH HA HA HA HA! ROTFDYING!

Yeah, sometimes I even let them spin my poi too...

T-S-ASILVER Member
Magic Monkey Juice
252 posts

Posted:
Normally I don't mind lending my stuff out, I reguarly let people pick up my flowlights. In fact I normally encourage people to have a go, but there is asking for a go, and then there is total piss taking, and people who wander off with your toys for half hour, which is what pisses me off most.

"We were making castles in the sand: Now we swim in the seas that swept them away"

JaredWSILVER Member
enthusiast
375 posts

Posted:
So last night I had just pulled out my flowlights and looped them around my fingers.
The second I turned them on some stupid censored comes straight at me, grabs the lights, and pulls saying "Here let me see these" while they're still tied to my fingers.

The loaning of poi is over. If I don't know you, hands off.

EpitomeOfNoviceGOLD Member
Putting the "FUN" in fundamental since 1981
787 posts

Posted:
I've never seen stuff like that Jared and I think it's because no one wants to step in anyone's Kool-Aid up my way. No one assumes you can just act how you want up my way and do anticipate the likelihood of being decked or worse for acting like a rude f-tard.

And yes I like it that way, keeps people behaving themselves for the most part unless they're inebriated beyond comprehension where mercy and avoidance tends to be method of dealing with it.

I'd never act in such a way because it's childish, but more so that I don't feel like a potential fight or worse happening for acting a fool.

~Rock on!~

"As the pattern gets more intricate and subtle, being swept along is no longer enough"-Waking Life

(All you RLers this is epitome_of_lame *waves hello*)

FugeeBRONZE Member
Cooler than bubblegum!
2,501 posts

Posted:
I have never seen anything like that either....

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
My friend says flowlights looks like glowing sex toys. I hope she doesn't ask to use them o0

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

JaredWSILVER Member
enthusiast
375 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: SpinnerofDetroitMy friend says flowlights looks like glowing sex toys. I hope she doesn't ask to use them o0

I've heard some quite amusing things about flowlights.

"Do those vibrate?"
"Neon phallic glowy things"
"Hey that looks like a censored"

T-S-ASILVER Member
Magic Monkey Juice
252 posts

Posted:
From another forum after I showed a pic of Flowlights:

Originally Posted By: felixThey look like weird alien dildos. Nice pics btw!

anelaenin the sky
30 posts

Posted:
My favorite is: these don't belong to be, (even if they do) my friend let me borrow them and made me promise not to pass them around. You can ask him/her when he/she gets back.

This came to me after a line of people congealed when I WAS using a friend's set.
EDITED_BY: anelaen (1276806190)

"you have to imagine the impossible is merely preposterous"

triptricianSILVER Member
UFO Spotting
350 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: JaredWSo last night I had just pulled out my flowlights and looped them around my fingers.
The second I turned them on some stupid censored comes straight at me, grabs the lights, and pulls saying "Here let me see these" while they're still tied to my fingers.

The loaning of poi is over. If I don't know you, hands off.

That is unbelievably rude. If it happened to me and i wasnt such a pussy ;p i probably would have decked 'em

JaredWSILVER Member
enthusiast
375 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: triptricianThat is unbelievably rude. If it happened to me and i wasnt such a pussy ;p i probably would have decked 'em

It was terribly hard not to slap her.

triptricianSILVER Member
UFO Spotting
350 posts

Posted:
should probably edit that post to say in there somewhere after pussy "...and they arent a girl/woman"

FugeeBRONZE Member
Cooler than bubblegum!
2,501 posts

Posted:
What if they were a girl/woman? Pimp hand? A harsh talking to?

An assault on a man is the same as on a woman IMO. To be honest, I'll respect a woman a far as she will respect me, equality... Okaaay. Females that will not be accountable for their actions often use their sex as a way to take advantage of a man. I'd simply snatch them right back from her!

triptricianSILVER Member
UFO Spotting
350 posts

Posted:
Fully agree however decking either a man or a women is an extremely unlikely (not impossible) course of action from me

Page: