Forums > Social Discussion > why did you become interested in poi?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
MidkiffBRONZE Member
shadow stranger
462 posts

Posted:
i have a question for all who would answer it what got you interested in poi? was it a friend or something you saw? as to answer my own question one of my friends was spinning glowsticks and told me of fire and i was instantly hooked on the idea

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able, and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" - Epicurus

TranquiliTeaBRONZE Member
I n f i n i T e a !
3 posts

Posted:
In the last month, I've actually taken the initative to pick up this amazing hobby because of raving and hanging out with my friends that I meet at raves- their always doing something spinny or glow-y.. smile Its really quite fun.

But when I was little, I went to the Renissance Festival in my county and theres always spinners and fire poi there.. Little kids have giant curiousities and apparently good memories too...!

EddieGoJamBRONZE Member
A Dude
12 posts

Posted:
Well I was an avid hacky sack player and my freshman year of college I got my entire dorm hooked on playing. It went from me being alone or with a friend to huge circles that had to be broken up into smaller ones. Eventually we all started to push our skills to the limit and we started attempting things I never even dreamed of. Then a friend brought devil sticks from his house and I started messing around with those. Once I got really good at the sticks I asked myself, what else is there to do? Are there any other awesome things like this I can learn? Researched it a little bit and I discovered poi. Soon after that I got a staff as well. Those led to other awesome things like juggling and hula hoop! Now I want a Cyr Wheel, but they are DAMN expensive! It's a vicious cycle...

Igneas TempestasGOLD Member
Just a few more minutes... zzzzz
16 posts

Posted:
Its all Nick and Yuta's fault smile

Was randomly browsing through youtube and stumbled on some firedancing videos, which led to Yuta's fire poi video ( the one to the song Endangered Species, youtube for fire poi yuta and its the first ) with Nick's tutorials suggested on the right.

Started browsing and thought hey that looks good fun and impressive, so put some tennis balls in socks and learned a basic butterfly and weave so ordered some sock and LED poi from HoP and got hooked!

I would say Yuta was the wow factor that impressed me, and Nicks philosophy and reasons for spinning, the art of movement, expression through spinning etc was the real draw. I prefer smooth slow dancing type of spinning to the super fast technical glowstringing type, but combining the 2 has interesting results smile

SoopaSILVER Member
As Himself
150 posts

Posted:
It was coming to the end of the school year last year...holy censored I've been spinning for almost a year now...sorry, I digress, anyway, I needed a physics final exam topic. The teacher wanted us to relate physics to real life, I couldn't find anything that wasn't yet taken to save my life, then I went to the local EDM club one night and they just so happened to be spinning fire there, I had never seen this before and I was immediately in love with it. It wasn't until a week later that I found out the name of this activity and took up it's practice, I aced my final exam and have been in love with poi spinning ever since the night of July 18th 2009

Seraphiastranger
14 posts

Posted:
Saw someone doing it at a festival and thought it looked great and that was only tail poi. Then I saw the fire and knew I HAD to give it a go. grin

EpitomeOfNoviceGOLD Member
Putting the "FUN" in fundamental since 1981
787 posts

Posted:
I finally decided to try at GMSF last year and found it soothing and bought a pair of Atom Poi on site for the rest of festival and beyond...

here I am now not whacking myself, spinning at an intermediate level, and have begun playing with fire weavesmiley

~Rock on!~

"As the pattern gets more intricate and subtle, being swept along is no longer enough"-Waking Life

(All you RLers this is epitome_of_lame *waves hello*)

the screw upstranger
5 posts

Posted:
i saw a poi dancer and thought it was cool and i should learn... so i did

someday i will put something witty up here

Page: