Forums > Videos > Feedback on my first public performance?

Login/Join to Participate

Dave StatikGOLD Member
You cant teach stupid.
106 posts

Posted:
Hey everyone, I finally had both my first video appearance and first public performance recently. I've been spinning since early march and was hoping for some critique on how i can improve my performance. Because this is the first time Ive seen myself spin, I feel i might be bias. Please have a look?

Im the one in back.

https://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=12...121750527842580

EDITED_BY: David_Pearson (1275002229)

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
I had my first public performance on Saturday and I forgot to have someone film it with my camera cry

But I was told it was amazing, even by someone who used to be a spinner himself that I met there.

I will say now after just watching it after typing what is above. Either most people are not what I see as "good," or I have an extreme talent for this o0 But one thing I will say, thinking you are bad is not a bad thing, I seem to always find something that I think is terrible about my spinning and the OCD in me strives to get that immediate fix.

For some more detail from a spinner's point of view, planes are pretty unclean, very repetitive, 3bt weave, butterfly and buzzsaw make up just about you're entire performance other than stopping spinning and bringing them to a still position to move into a butterfly or 3bt weave.

I looked again to get a second closer look, better than I remembered the first time, you did have corkscrew tongue2 Well and a couple other things you used for transitions, but that's about it. I'm not sure how much time you get to practice, or even how long you have been, but depending on those two things it could be anywhere between a great step to a wtf.

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

leospoiSILVER Member
Poi explorer
108 posts

Posted:
I'd say that for a couple months spinning that's a pretty good performance. It's great that even with just basic moves you're adding some body movement, don't forget to keep that up even as you start learning and doing harder and more complex stuff. I'd suggest getting your planes cleaner and adding a broader selection of easy moves such as reels or pendulums.

liquidtrancei dream in circles...
336 posts

Posted:
had to watch it again when i read your the one in the back, good work for 2months, like that you hve no fear with wraps this early, also liked the utl stuff and that jump thingy you did over a corkscrew.
for constructive criticism i suggest practising looking in a mirror or a window, your planes and timings on some moves need a bit of work. It'll also teach you to keep in mind one direction to display your circles (like your audience)
suggest starting working on pirouettes, reels, extensions, lockouts and the beginnings of flowers smile
@SOD, reel the massive ego in a bit, these forums are for everyone.

even chuck norris can't pin you down if your on fire

[ Unregistered ]addict
413 posts

Posted:
It'd be nice, you to put a video there where people don't need to register...

ninja

2,280 posts

Posted:
Oh that's only a couple months? That was really good then grin Since it was a public "performance" I assumed a lot longer than that. Big sorry on my part hug

It's just that showing yourself off in public when you're not better at it yet, well it's a big pet peeve of mine so sorry about that rant up there.

Dave StatikGOLD Member
You cant teach stupid.
106 posts

Posted:
Guys i really appreciate all the feedback. detroit, dont feel bad. any criticism is good to me. I too notices i needed some plane and timeing work. keep in mind also it was completely free style. i have not yet gotten to the point of making my own routines. And also the fact that it was my first public performance. I forgot alot of the thing i could do like crossers, throws, meltdowns and cap patterns. tho i did them later in the night, but the vids were of early in the night.

I am thankful for you your relplies and will work on what you all suggested. I practice almost every day for at least 15 minutes. So in any given week you can expect me to work on anything suggested of me. more vidz to follow im sure.

2,280 posts

Posted:
Yeah I tend to do the same thing when being filmed or in public. I'll forget my favorite things and all the best transitions that I come up with. It's just like *swoosh* out the door with you! I'm slowly working towards getting better at not doing that though tongue2

Thanks for not taking it offensively, generally what I say is not meant to be insulting laugh3 I know for my first 2-3 months I practiced 2-5 hours a day, so that's kind of a big difference right there haha.

Also one thing I notice earlier today you might find interesting is that with CAPs, if you're doing the petal part to the beat of a song, then on the circle part, you turn to the other side, then when they meet in the middle of the semi-circle half of the CAP hits the beat. I was pretty amused by it earlier bounce2

Dave StatikGOLD Member
You cant teach stupid.
106 posts

Posted:
Yea ive been working on that the past week or two. But I figured it out doing butterfly reels, patterning between hips and over the shoulder, and realised its a perfect base to throw a cap in here and there. the two mix great.

Dave StatikGOLD Member
You cant teach stupid.
106 posts

Posted:
I just realised it was suggested to me I do reels, extentions, etc. and that all i did was 3bt weave and butterflies. did some of you think i was the guy in front? I did tons of reels, and extentions, lol. I did a linear isolation a few utls, a sketchy cap, a quick btb weave then halfway into a meltdown while turning, an arm wrap combo, and some other censored. my bad transitioning was due to my nerves, cuz i remember having a hard time remembering what i could do.

Idk, i just wanna make sure yall are watching the right guy, lol.
Maybe i should have waited till i had a video where nerves werent a problem so i could be judged based on what i can do not what i did.

2,280 posts

Posted:
BAHAHAHA! Yes we did think you were the guy in front. Or at least I did. That could be quite different laugh3 Now I need another look!

2,280 posts

Posted:
Oh that was actually much much better. That was a good job, a lot better at syncing to the music than the other guy.

Dave StatikGOLD Member
You cant teach stupid.
106 posts

Posted:
LOL, i was gonna say....like damn, i know im no expert but i didnt think i was THAT bad, lol.

2,280 posts

Posted:
Lol, TAKE IT LIKE A MAN!

liquidtrancei dream in circles...
336 posts

Posted:
^^ im telling the sexual harassment panda... tongue2

even chuck norris can't pin you down if your on fire

2,280 posts

Posted:
Nooooo! He'll eat all my bamboo!

Dave StatikGOLD Member
You cant teach stupid.
106 posts

Posted:
lol wtf.

2,280 posts

Posted:
If you want to see random tangents look at the Last Person to Post thread o0

Also I am in love with that video grin When in the video are you performing?

Dave StatikGOLD Member
You cant teach stupid.
106 posts

Posted:
whats that? ill check it out.

your in love with the one i posted? why lol? its a crap performance. i just cant stop watching it cuz its me lol. so i wanted a nonbias opinion. It was about 830-900 eastern. As the night rolled on more people showed up. there were like 100 spectators gathered around most of the night.

2,280 posts

Posted:
Lol I mean how long into the video? And how many spectators actually gave you money?

Dave StatikGOLD Member
You cant teach stupid.
106 posts

Posted:
how long in am i there...? from the begining, lol. there's only two people spinning. then it goes to our fire breather, and some chick with a hula hoop. I dont know how many people tipped. just that 3 people stole money lol. at the end of the night we had like 150 bucks. but between like 15 people and money to community fuel....ah well i do this censored for free anyway, i dont care about the money.

We just brought in some more performers this past friday. a juggler, a hot sword swallower with armpit hair (wtf!), two glass walkers and a short double staff spinner. things are picking up now, lol.

2,280 posts

Posted:
What, do guys in France shave their armpit hair? I don't know any guys personally that shave their armpit hair o0 My problem is I can't tell which spinner you are, I kinda like to have faces to my people wink

Dave StatikGOLD Member
You cant teach stupid.
106 posts

Posted:
ah. an avatar. ill get around to it, lol. but yea...it was a chick lol. it was weird cuz i was trying to decide whether it was hot or not, lol.

2,280 posts

Posted:
Now a chick with armpit hair, that's kind of odd... I don't know what she looks like so I wouldn't know if it was hot or not lol.

Dave StatikGOLD Member
You cant teach stupid.
106 posts

Posted:
the armpit hair was enough to help me reach a decision....not hot.