Forums > Help! > handles covered in fuel... please help!

Login/Join to Participate

LiveWireSILVER Member
stranger
11 posts

Posted:
I was at a party on the weekend and a big group of us were fire spinning, i absent mindedly put my poi down to have a play with another toy and some fuckwitt picked them up and dropped them in the fuel bucket, chains and handles included. i am super mega pissed off!

please does anyone know how to get fuel off of the handles, chain, swivels etc so they are safe to spin with again? will it just evaporate off or can i wash it out? i have oval link chains with pro series handles.

thanks

Paddington BearSILVER Member
118 posts

Posted:
erm it depends what fuel it was, if it was alcohol based or white gas it should evaporate straight off. letting it evaporate off will dry the handles out though. if it was kero or tiki oil it may need washing out, not sure what youd use but a detergent should do it.

fire is alive. it lives and breathes. it consumes and destroys. but we control it and live with it, we are fire dancers

LiveWireSILVER Member
stranger
11 posts

Posted:
pegasol... solvent 3440 special.
ummm its a nicer more refined version of kero me thinks

Icarus FordeBRONZE Member
Just Icarus//Spinner//Pyro//Geek
261 posts

Posted:
Use a workshop detergent, but be aware that it could be detrimental to your grips. If you're interested in taking the safish road, get some soap on a moist cloth and gently sponge it out.... or if you want to have some fun with the chain, you could just hold a lighter to it and it'll come right off the chain. smile

EpitomeOfNoviceGOLD Member
Putting the "FUN" in fundamental since 1981
787 posts

Posted:
I take my chains off my wick and run some hot water with mild, all natural dish detergent (Seventh Generation is what it's called) in the sink and soak it for about 5 minutes. Then I scrub/swish it around shortly and rinse. This is what I do regularly after burns, but it has worked when I've gotten K-1 on my handles before.

Even though it's a gentle solution, it's effective plus hasn't harmed anything. If handles are leather, I'd recommend following it with some saddle soap to put the moisture back into it and let it dry. Mine aren't leather, but I've cleaned many a saddle and it's not a bad idea.

Edit: I have the pro-series chains too and my first paragraph works great on those handles especially, just make sure to rinse them well out of the handles and wrap/squeeze with a clean towel then let air dry. You should be good to go! smile
EDITED_BY: EpitomeOfNovice (1274729370)
EDIT_REASON: just noticed OP had the same chains as me

~Rock on!~

"As the pattern gets more intricate and subtle, being swept along is no longer enough"-Waking Life

(All you RLers this is epitome_of_lame *waves hello*)

liquidtrancei dream in circles...
336 posts

Posted:
^^ agree with eom, hot soapy water will do the trick, keep at it until water no longer beads on the handles and they soak up water like they shoul, then keep going a bit more to be sure. as for the chains i wouldn't worry, what doesn't evaporate in a day ain't worth worrying about.

even chuck norris can't pin you down if your on fire

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
FOr the chains you can just take a paper towel and run it up and down the chain until it's clean

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

LiveWireSILVER Member
stranger
11 posts

Posted:
this worked wonders thanks guys!!!

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
and please take extreme caution when "washing kerosene off your toys" as it may actually poison the area...

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink