Forums > Help! > Minimally messy spin-off procedure?

Login/Join to Participate

EpitomeOfNoviceGOLD Member
Putting the "FUN" in fundamental since 1981
787 posts

Posted:
What is the least messy spin off procedure you know of or use? I've never done the general spin-off because I don't want to slick up the grass or get it on myself. Up until now I have blotted (huge mess throwing away towels/too expensive) and have squeezed with industrial strength gloves (even messier since I live in an apartment and have no access to a hose, etc) I don't understand the spin-off bucket concept and think it would wear me out from what I've heard.

Any advice on how you do things including how messy it is? I use ultra-pure lamp oil and small Mura wicks currently, my Monkeyfists are on the way and I don't think the squeeze method would even work for those with how they're constructed (I've found with my Muras it's less effective than blotting). I'm very tempted to try the traditional spin off, but would like to hear about how messy it truly is and how effective compared to other methods first. Also is it okay to do the blot method with paper towels or would the possible fibers coming off be too hazardous?

Thanks much in advance as always!

~Rock on!~

"As the pattern gets more intricate and subtle, being swept along is no longer enough"-Waking Life

(All you RLers this is epitome_of_lame *waves hello*)

liquidtrancei dream in circles...
336 posts

Posted:
bucket is the most effective but i agree they are clumsy and heavy, i recommend zip bags (you know the type with that kinda plastic slider thingy) just dip you heads, let them drip the worst of the excess back into the bucket them put a zipbag over them and spin a wee bit, the excess fuel will run outwards and gather in the bag where it can be collected for re-use. as a side note this method is also very good for performance as you can dip you heads well in advance and have everything prepared & your heads won't be loosing fuel from evaporation, useful if you've got a tonne of equipment that your gonna be using throughout your show wink

even chuck norris can't pin you down if your on fire

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
I say a spin off collector of some kind is the best way to go. A spin off bucket would put a lot of strain on any links you may have. I, myself just to a traditional spin-off, but my cathedrals don't retain much fuel so I end up spinning off a lot smirk Monkeyfists should retain a lot more because they're rope, so it's thicker, and they're very tight. I'd say the zip bag thing looks like a really good way to go, but, how would I do it for my massive 8" heads? Also, spinning them off because of the way I made them and wasn't thinking about this when I made them, is that spinning puts a lot of stress on the stitches as there is nothing going down the middle for about 6 inches of it. Which means that would shorten its life even more, as those will die off kind of quickly cry But next time I make those, I'll run a big dog chain type chain down the middle with the stitches going through it to hold it together smile

But I would definitely say zip bag. I think I'm gonna have to do that as one of my upcoming gigs may be indoors on some type of dance floor. That one is for a friend, so that's not a paid one. But I do have a paid one set up grin

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

336 posts

Posted:
@sod, just get bigger bags! I even have zipbags for my custom fire ropes(which a frickin HUGE) that do the job. tbh though if im using them then the environment is the last thing on my mind, the imminent threat of immolation is a priority...
lol

2,280 posts

Posted:
Where do I get bigger bags??? I sure haven't seen anything bigger than the gallon bags.

787 posts

Posted:
Thanks for the zip bag idea! That sounds much easier (and less potentially hazardous) than a literal bucket. I'll give it a try ASAP.

SOD, why would you need larger than a gallon? The gallon size should give your homemade wicks a few inches of space, too much room and there would be so much drag making it less effective (in theory). Have you tried sizing it? I've seen some at stores larger than a gallon, but the boxes contain less bags and are kept by the plastic wrap and foil. They do exist larger if you need them.

~Rock on!~

"As the pattern gets more intricate and subtle, being swept along is no longer enough"-Waking Life

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
owner of the group property
1,277 posts

Posted:
I actually just use cut open water bottles with a twine handle.

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
I use a soft drink bottle with the top cut off. This is hung on a line attached at opposite ends and long enough that my poi heads just fit inside, so I hold both the bucket and the poi. No strain on links (at least more than needed).

Can do a picture if you want?

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

FugeeBRONZE Member
Cooler than bubblegum!
2,501 posts

Posted:
I never spin off, is that bad?

The popcorn extends life... The popcorn expands consciousness...

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Well, it means you might be throwing lit fuel off the wicks as you spin, potentially onto yourself.

Or, with paraffin, unlit fuel onto stuff which you may be able to light later.

At least, that is why I spin off. (To avoid that.)

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

FugeeBRONZE Member
Cooler than bubblegum!
2,501 posts

Posted:
It's only tiny droplets. I usually leave my heads in a jar submerged in fuel then just let them drip out for a bit before I start. Sometimes I get a little bit on myself if I don't let them sit long enough, but most of the time I don't. It seems to me that I have a longer burn if I don't do a spin off. I was thinking maybe there was another reason.

The popcorn extends life... The popcorn expands consciousness...

336 posts

Posted:
the main problem i find is if there's a lot of spinning going on then the ground can get very slippery (if it's concrete/wood whatever) in a particularly big show with lots of stuff and people running about with fire it's best not to be skating around the place

787 posts

Posted:
I tried the ziplock method today and it works pretty well. Afterward I did one standard old school spin-off shake just to test it and I like it much better than any other method thus far! yes

~Rock on!~

2,280 posts

Posted:
Yeah, the traditional way I find the best when it's an option, especially on cement.

Flint_413GOLD Member
Fire Artist and Hooper
181 posts

Posted:
I'm attempting to spin off into a bucket in hopes of keeping more fuel and therefore more fire grin ITs working fairly well. I use a paint can with a cord. I like that I can recycle fuel afterwards. It saves money. Then again I was perfectly happy with the blotting method and I'm unsure why u kept throwing away your towels EpitomeOfNovice, I just used the same towel over and over again. As long as it doesn't get super screwed up its fine. Just make sure your damp towel and your blotting towel dont get mixed up. That could be BAD!

If you can't stand the heat, get out of my way.

787 posts

Posted:
Good question Flint! I live in an apartment so with no outdoor storage area and no safe way to clean the towels, blotting and apartment life (especially with a neat freak like myself) just weren't a good match. I came to my conclusion back when I was using kerosene, now with lamp oil the stink problem is greatly lessened, but not enough to have such things indoors.

I have very inquisitive cats along with asthma I must keep an eye on, so it was too much mess for me personally. Let me tell you, if I had a yard, clothesline, and a shed I would continue to blot. yes

~Rock on!~