Page:
Daniel_HendricksGOLD Member
The Hendricks Experience
41 posts

Posted:
Ok so a thought has recently come to me that would require quite a few hands and quite a bit more preperation. All I want to do with the rest of my life is spin fire and enjoy living. I know I am not alone in this desire. Therefore the only sensible thing in my mind has been to save up enough money to buy some land somewhere, make a generous sized garden, and live. The basic needs of food and shelter would be covered. Next comes the idea of companionship, and in marches the commune ideal. All comments welcome, but this really is a serious idea of mine so lets not get too out there folks. Possible location: ALASKA; homestead act is still viable in alaska meaning you pick a plot of land, make it better, and after seven years its yours. Any takers?

"it is something to be able to paint a picture, or to carve a statue, and so to make a few objects beautiful; but it is far more glorious to carve and paint the very atmosphere and medium through which we look," thoreau

Zephyre PhoenixFamiliar stranger giving out popcorn. (formerly Ascilith)
1,264 posts

Posted:
haha I hope I can get to that. Sounds fun. But that would be a good place to brainstorm

Never take candy from strangers...... But popcorn is okay!

FugeeBRONZE Member
Cooler than bubblegum!
2,501 posts

Posted:
I thought you were going to Florida Ascilith.

The popcorn extends life... The popcorn expands consciousness...

1,264 posts

Posted:
I am, parents r paying tho. Family vacation.

SoopaSILVER Member
As Himself
150 posts

Posted:
Be like one of those celebrity fucks and buy an island somewhere, obviously this task wouldn't be given to Dan alone, I think purchasing a small island (probably anywhere from 6 to 10 times the size of any available plots of land at nearly half the cost) is entirely doable by a group of people

Also, after some research I found there are unused military bunkers in mountains, literally the size of entire cities for sale

That would make it a lot easier to actually make money and pay off buying something like that AND when the nukes fall, we can start a new race of progressively minded, artistically and spiritually centered self sufficient people and end human on human trouble grin

Or maybe I am just excited....lol

FugeeBRONZE Member
Cooler than bubblegum!
2,501 posts

Posted:
It's not on Dan alone. It just takes time and involvement at a greater level. But an island does sound cool.

1,264 posts

Posted:
I like the bunker idea too though smile It sounds rly cool.

FugeeBRONZE Member
Cooler than bubblegum!
2,501 posts

Posted:
I hear Dan and some other guy are bad mouthing me on Dirtbag's FB.

SoopaSILVER Member
As Himself
150 posts

Posted:
My dad is actually the one that told me about the bunkers, they are ranging in the millions after repairs, the military doesn't tend to abandon something unless it's practically useless lol but I just thought it was cool because they are literally underground cities

JaredWSILVER Member
enthusiast
375 posts

Posted:
Put it in a bunker and I'm out. I need fresh air and sunlight, inside as well.

I think we might actually have an easier time making this happen in another country, I would count US out totally. Look into places that have a less developed civilization. Somewhere that the barter system is still alive and well, and currency isn't required.

Most times in areas like that, markets and hand made goods are also the norm. We could setup relatively cheap, possibly produce and sell extra crops, and also have some of our more crafty people setting up shop sometimes in the markets. In a large market environment you could really sell anything you wanted too, jewelry, clothing, furniture, sky is the limit.

Nicaragua and El Salvador might be good places to look into.

JaredWSILVER Member
enthusiast
375 posts

Posted:
Little bit of info on El Salvador, I've looked into it before and been considering moving here anyway. If things don't start going a little smoother for me here soon I probably will move thre next year.

https://www.escapeartist.com/efam/47/ElSalvador_Living.html

Here's some of the important bits if you don't want to read it all:

Quote:Right off, I should warn you that you will have to speak at least basic Spanish. English here is not used a lot, but some lawyers, doctors, and engineers do speak English very well.

Quote:In 1998, when I first arrived, El Salvador was already one of the safest countries in Central America. That trend has continued to the present day.

Quote:El Salvador has a very stable currency, the US Dollar. It also has the second largest American Embassy in the world

Quote:earnings outside of the country not being taxable

Quote:Initially, as a visitor with a 90 day visa, or a card granting temporary citizenship, you will only be able to open a Bank Savings Account, but most banks issue a Visa debit card against this type of account, and they are usable internationally.

Quote:Permanent citizenship is normally granted after 5 years of legal temporary citizenship, and will allow you to apply for mortgages, etc.

Quote:At the airport or any border crossing, a 90 day visa is normally issued for Europeans and Americans / Canadians. This can be renewed simply by leaving the country, and then coming back in, 1 hour later if you wish.

Quote:a foreigner can legally own any land, property or vehicle. None of the messing about with having to use friends or a local business is unnecessary. Buying land or property here is a simple process.

Quote:If you want to bring a vehicle with you, pickups carry an import tax of only 5%

Quote:Major car dealers have a monopoly and are a huge rip off. For example, a new BMW 4x4 can cost USD 8000 more than what you would pay if you brought the vehicle yourself, and paid all taxes and registration.

Quote:Land prices vary, but in a very good area inside the city, you can expect to pay around USD 100 per square metre.
Prices for land in the countryside vary enormously, but are very much cheaper than the city; you will have to do your research.

Quote:Prices are occasionally given in the old, non-existent, currency of the El Salvador Colone, but there is a government mandated fixed rate of 8.75 Colones to the dollar, so the cost is easily translated. Colones don’t officially exist anymore, but many locals still find it easier to think in Colones.

Quote:Fuel is about USD 1.90 per US gallon for Super.

Quote:Taxis are plentiful and can be found in varying states of repair. Costs vary from USD 3.00 to USD 5.00 to travel anywhere in or around the city. They can also be hired by the hour for USD 6.00 to USD 9.00. You could drive to the Guatemala border for about USD 45 for a round trip, to renew a visa, for example.

Quote:Most of the roads in the city, and the major artery roads are either in the process of being resurfaced, or already have been, with widening of the major roads taking place.

Quote:El Salvador has a major earthquake around every 20 years, and there are frequent minor ‘quakes and tremors. Don’t let this put you off the country though. Housing standards are high, and every house is built to withstand the biggies.

Quote:There are only really 2 seasons here, Rainy and Dry, and they are both very welcome. The rainy season lasts from around May to November, and during this time, it rains at least once per day, heavily, but for only a few hours, and normally in the evening.

SoopaSILVER Member
As Himself
150 posts

Posted:
inb4 small islands

There are literally thousand upon thousands of uninhabited islands

JaredWSILVER Member
enthusiast
375 posts

meshunderlayBRONZE Member
Juggler/Spinner
612 posts

Posted:
All things considered, some of those prices are pretty good.

JaredWSILVER Member
enthusiast
375 posts

Posted:
Yeah, I looked at a few few of them, and if I had the cash I would say most of them were worth the price.

The Hendricks Experience
41 posts

Posted:
Wow, I guess I've been away for too long- I like both the island idea and the el salvador idea but am leaning more towards the el salvador prospect. Mainly because island madness. I lived in Hawaii for a little bit and even with all the beauty and people around you can get a little stir crazy. If it was solely owned by us I would imagine an island would drive me even more crazy- no offense intended.
I, like Meshunderlay, have been having some busy weeks- Right not it looks like I may be moving to a little spot of workable land (about 11 acres) by the end of the year. While this isn't near the size I'm looking for when the time comes for a commune I thought I may be able to work it into some sort of stop for wayward travelers as a sort of church of poi where you could come and spin in the woods, or mess around with crops and cattle for a little bit and be on your way. Initially I'll be the only permanent resident but there's room for expansion. I go work on the land to get it ready for the move-in every monday- if your wanting to check it out or maybe get your hands dirty and your in texoma area let me know

"it is something to be able to paint a picture, or to carve a statue, and so to make a few objects beautiful; but it is far more glorious to carve and paint the very atmosphere and medium through which we look," thoreau

FugeeBRONZE Member
Cooler than bubblegum!
2,501 posts

Posted:
Hell Yea! Texoma!

JaredWSILVER Member
enthusiast
375 posts

Posted:
I don't think an island would bother me too much other than it's not really convenient.

I have decided to go on to El Salvador though, so even if the commune doesn't happen there, I will be there by next October. Probably won't be much but it will always be open to those who want to escape for a while.

FugeeBRONZE Member
Cooler than bubblegum!
2,501 posts

Posted:
Escribir en Espanol.

SoopaSILVER Member
As Himself
150 posts

Posted:
Dan, I think your current idea is perfect, mainly as a kind of practice for the real thing, test the waters before jumping in head first eh?

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
I really can't take your posts seriously with that avatar, Dirtbag. It really doesn't fit the tone of your posts. tongue2

hug

The Hendricks Experience
41 posts

Posted:
The name doesn't help much either, but hey to each their own I suppose.
But I do thank you for the vote of confidence, does this mean you want to help with some of the good ol' fasioned manual labor =)

SoopaSILVER Member
As Himself
150 posts

Posted:
I think I'd honestly be more of a frequent visitor than a resident but I'll gladly help you in any way that I can grin

The Hendricks Experience
41 posts

Posted:
@dirtbag: ok we'll talk about it more on Wednesday

1,264 posts

Posted:
This sounds amazing smile When this is up and running, I'll be both amazed and really happy.

FugeeBRONZE Member
Cooler than bubblegum!
2,501 posts

Posted:
Yes Dan, when will this be up and running? tongue2

SoopaSILVER Member
As Himself
150 posts

Posted:
Cool thing Dan

See you there

The Hendricks Experience
41 posts

Posted:
Hopefully by this winter- at the latest next Summer =)

FugeeBRONZE Member
Cooler than bubblegum!
2,501 posts

Posted:
Will you be out there on the 14th? I can come down and help you with your clearing and fence stuff.

triptricianSILVER Member
UFO Spotting
350 posts

Posted:
i sooo wish i wasnt on the other side of the world and able to have more input (other than continuously dreaming of how awesome it would be) and able to help

would rather have a bottle-in-front-of-me than a frontal lobotomy

"The dangers of life are infinate and among them is safety"(geothe)

SoopaSILVER Member
As Himself
150 posts

Posted:
I've literally been wishing for a place like this and slowly planning it out since I started spinning

Dan, I love you man!

Page: