Forums > Social Chat > When do you perform best?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
I learned last night that I perform the best when either I'm screwing around or have an adrenaline rush. When I was screwing around was well, this is self explanatory screwing around at a bonfire with my friends:

That is only at 8 months! I wasn't even thinking about what to do next or what goes with what or anything. Only once have I gotten that before and that was at prom with my massive adrenaline rush and I saw the video on the camera. Still bugging to get it.

So when do you perform the best?

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
When nobody is watching, when I'm doing it for myself.

hug

Seaspraystranger by the day
924 posts

Posted:
normally whenever I get to mess around to music...

though that's probably because I'm more likely to unwind that way... caught myself noticably relaxing spinning in my head to Pardon Me by Incubus

Just a dancer in the dark

joffjkDIAMOND Member
147 posts

Posted:
I the same as mother Nature s son when no one is watching and I'm spinning for myself thre is a move which I'm working on at the moment which as soon as I try to show someone I can't do

I love thinking in circles

2,280 posts

Posted:
Am I the only one who does best around people? Also I'm not really talking as much technical-wise, more overall performance-wise. Like the difference between a technical guy that can't dance with his poi for crap and something like the Atlantis on Fire video, where it's all really really simple moves.

Zephyre PhoenixFamiliar stranger giving out popcorn. (formerly Ascilith)
1,264 posts

Posted:
When I'm in the moment.

Never take candy from strangers...... But popcorn is okay!

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
owner of the group property
1,277 posts

Posted:
It varies. Usually I find an audience can raise my enthusiasm and distract me at the same time, so that I'll try to show off and also botch things really easily. There have been occasions where an audience brought out my best--probably better than I've done jamming alone--but it has to catch me in just the right state.

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

brenonfire413SILVER Member
Fire Spinner Exarch
514 posts

Posted:
A lot of it depends on my mood at the time. When I'm alone its more practicing new things but when I'm around people then I'll stick with moves that I know well and allow me to maintain my best attempts at good flow.

"Are you sure it's safe to drink bleach?"
"Yes, bleach is 90% water, we are 90% water, therefore: we are bleach."
-Nathan Explosion, Metalocalypse

2,280 posts

Posted:
I just think I do best when I'm not trying to show off, I'm not trying new things, I'm not being serious, and I'm not "trying" to flow. Basically, when I'm not "trying" anything.

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
When Alice is with me...

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

johndhaiveGOLD Member
Kebab Embalmer
316 posts

Posted:
when im stoned... and I always discover new ideas when I'm stoned! now that I'm normal for 2 months, no new discoveries, spinning like a rookie, and looking for a new source! bounce2

Tam tam tam cheketitamtam, ketumpantam, ketumpan kete kete kete, tam tam tam ketumpanketey!

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
when being in "the Zone"... everybody can watch. I even interact with the audience... but I'm zoned...

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

EpitomeOfNoviceGOLD Member
Putting the "FUN" in fundamental since 1981
787 posts

Posted:
When there is no camera, the sun is setting (or it's dark), when the music is LOUD and I have no people acting like scary stalkers trying to watch me all sneaky-like (hiding behind fences and in doorways like they do here in Dover, it would be easier if they just asked a question when I paused or something) because that really freaks me out.

~Rock on!~

"As the pattern gets more intricate and subtle, being swept along is no longer enough"-Waking Life

(All you RLers this is epitome_of_lame *waves hello*)

T-S-ASILVER Member
Magic Monkey Juice
252 posts

Posted:
No onlookers, no worries, good quality headphones, good music, several pre-rolled spliffs, darkness, glow poi or fire poi, on a beach or around green.

Fire is a bit more hassle to keep refuling when your "in the zone"

"We were making castles in the sand: Now we swim in the seas that swept them away"

the_mods_stole_my_nameSILVER Member
travelling without moving
1,286 posts

Posted:
I generally spin better when nobody is watching, having an audience gets me nervous. Although a couple of years ago, me and some friends went for a fire spinning session on bonfire night when there was a big firework display going on.
We set up away from the crowd and were spinning whilst the fireworks were going off, so nobody was really taking notice of us, or so I thought. I just finished having a great spin and only when my wicks started to die out and my eyes started to readjust, did i realise that a crowd of around 150 people had gathered around us...that felt great!

Heilige Scheiße, Batman kommt!

Reality is just a state of mind which occurs through a lack of lsd

XxX owned by devilsarmy XxX

O.B.E.S.E.

2,280 posts

Posted:
I love how with fire poi, especially big fire poi, you can just ignore the audience because you can't see them laugh3

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
I love how with staff, any staff, it's better then poi

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

2,280 posts

Posted:
Haha. I got double staffs and I can't get myself to practice them just because it's not as fun tongue2

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
owner of the group property
1,277 posts

Posted:
Seriously. The only other toy I've been able to practice so far is rope dart because it's kinda like one poi that you do really ridiculous wraps with. I used my practice staves so infrequently that I took them apart to make poi out of tongue2

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

brenonfire413SILVER Member
Fire Spinner Exarch
514 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: SpinnerofDetroitI love how with fire poi, especially big fire poi, you can just ignore the audience because you can't see them laugh3 I was spinning alone a week ago with my ipod turned up. A friend walked up out of the shadows and was really close before I noticed her. Freaked me out!

"Are you sure it's safe to drink bleach?"
"Yes, bleach is 90% water, we are 90% water, therefore: we are bleach."
-Nathan Explosion, Metalocalypse

SoopaSILVER Member
As Himself
150 posts

Posted:
First I want to say, thats pretty sick for 8 months, I'm currently around 9 myself and at 8 months you were better than I am now so props!

I've noticed I spin best when I'm just hanging out with a friend that is better than me, we are bouncing ideas off each other and just bull shitting it mostly. I spin with Dan every Wednesday and I catch a lot of inspiration off of him to do better, not necessarily one up him, but if I see something I like think, "well he does it, so why can't I?" Then just kind of take it from there, make it my own and learn to love it, even if it's something simple like a banzai just mess around with it until I feel like I really understand it and can use it in an original way. In a nutshell, experimentation is ultimately my muse, simply delving into the unknown is where I feel I excel

Kerosene_FalconSILVER Member
fire twirly girly
46 posts

Posted:
I perform rather well in front of people, I often forget how cool simple moves look when on fire.
But get really into it when in a big group just twirling away, specially with some sort of live music

Of course my horse is clumsy he has two left feet

2,280 posts

Posted:
Why thank you Dirt Bag smile Also you learn the same way I do. Except I don't see live people, but I see stuff in videos and say "There is no reason why I can't do that right now." Then I go out and learn it however long it takes me. I often feel like I'm such a bad spinner and I always feel like I need to fix it by making myself better.

Also, Kerosene Falcon is the best name ever grin
EDITED_BY: SpinnerofDetroit (1275507550)

Kerosene_FalconSILVER Member
fire twirly girly
46 posts

Posted:
thanks dude I love my name, I chose Kerosene when I was 13 cos middle letters are rose (my middle name) and added the Falcon bit cos I liked the birds, small but tough like me.

I often stalk youtube and other sights then try and copy what others do, but I seem to be better with poi than staff, and usually do simple moves and turn around or pose so it looks different

Of course my horse is clumsy he has two left feet

tytyBRONZE Member
Not as fireproof as he thinks
22 posts

Posted:
Detroit, you sound a lot like me. I see someone do a move that I haven't learned yet and I go 'right, I'm going to figure that out', then I don't stop spinning 'till I've done it successfully. But no matter how many moves I learn I will always see something that makes me feel rubbish at poi.

Watching Alien Jon's tutorials gives me a bit of an inferiority complex... The way he finishes teaching a move that I'm only just starting to get my head around, and then goes "and you can mix it up by doing this", then does something that completely blows my mind, and makes it look so easy that he's almost bored.

2,280 posts

Posted:
Yeah I know exactly how you feel. I'm the same way. I personally will be itching some until I get around that thing that Pineapple Pete does that has it's own discussion in the video's section right now. Also I look at myself and how I flow and dance with poi. Every once in a while I see something that makes ME go HOLY censored and most of the time it's, "Oh my god, people please don't look. It looks sooo bad." Then people tell me it was awesome, but it doesn't help very much anyways. I love reactions other than cheering and I hate clapping, because those are so often "fake" kind of forced reactions. But with cheering, you can tell when it's the real thing, clapping to me just signifies the whole, "He worked hard, so I feel obligated to clap and show that I liked it," thing. I would honestly rather have silence, silence actually means something.

tytyBRONZE Member
Not as fireproof as he thinks
22 posts

Posted:
I'll have to check out Pineapple Pete's thing. And clear my schedule for the week...

Yep, agree with you about the clapping. I love when passers by sit down or make themselves comfortable to watch, but I think the best compliment is when you do some sort of variation and another spinner goes "WTF WAS THAT!". Not such a big fan of cheering, usually because it's only the drunks if you're at a party, or busking near some clubs, and then I just feel like they're cheering the fire, and not the performance.

2,280 posts

Posted:
I mean cheering when I do something good and they sheer as I'm spinning. I especially love getting reactions like that with glowsticks and LED's because then you know it's not because of fire. Like my most recently cleaned up move that could make a spinner go WTF! would be a hybrid. Isolation v. Triquetra, but HANDS TOGETHER grin It has such a cool look to it smile

Juggling Jack FlashGOLD Member
Sneaking
1,207 posts

Posted:
Very nice dude, for only 8 months that's some nice spinning, I've been spinning for about 5 years now and I'd be happy if could jam like that weavesmiley

Shoot for the moon, even if you miss you land among the stars

WoodlandAppleBRONZE Member
addict
474 posts

Posted:
2 whole pages of a topic on performance levels and no one has gone THERE yet?

For shame people

sticks and stones my break my bones, but ski patrol will save me.

Seaspraystranger by the day
924 posts

Posted:
we're spinners. Poi before ice cream tongue2

Just a dancer in the dark

Page: