Forums > Help! > Can anyone reccommend a good website for chain fire poi tutorials

Login/Join to Participate

k377ystranger
2 posts

Posted:
Hey All,
I bought a set of fire poi with the chains and so far Ive searched the internet and you tube and can only find videos and tutorials for people using stocking poi's and balls, not ones attached to chains.
i watch them but it looks different to how id imagine chains are. The stocking ones looks more bouncy compared to chains.
can anyone recommend a good site for beginners fire poi twirling?
Thanks
Kelly
-xoox-

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
owner of the group property
1,277 posts

Posted:
They're not that different. The bounciness adds a different feel to a lot of moves and can make fine control harder, but it doesn't affect how you do them. A poi move is a poi move on pretty much whatever gear you're using (with the exceptions of things like contact moves or wibbles which are easier with certain kinds of equipment).

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

k377ystranger
2 posts

Posted:
Thank you,
I literally bough them this morning, so I'm really excited to learn how to use them!
Did you just practice yourself or did you have someone teach you, watch a video on them etc?
I got told that standing in front of a mirror helps so you can watch yourself.

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
I learned mostly from online videos, and a few things from people at the local spin jam. Mirrors are helpful for checking things (your planes, timing, etc.) but can become a crutch if you over-use them; still handy to have one available, though. Better still is to find a spin jam in your area, if there are any, and hang out with other spinners. Sometimes seeing people doing something in person completely unlocks some barrier, or they might be able to spot some mistake you're making that you can't see or feel. Lacking a spin jam, mirrors and perseverance are your best friends.

liquidtrancei dream in circles...
336 posts

Posted:
playpoi.com and youtube will be your best friends while your learning:)

even chuck norris can't pin you down if your on fire

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
As well as the videos on this site (which are also mostly on YouTube, but I like to pimp Derek's tutorials because I found them really useful; YMMV).

KaspurGOLD Member
Eternal Student of all things Skill
110 posts

Posted:
I agree with liquidtrance on playpoi.com being an invaluable resource. I would highly suggest hopping to the hop shop and getting the scales of poi. That helped me more than another dvd. Also check out www.feuershow.de they have a plethora of videos that can be put in slowmotion.
EDITED_BY: G4dget (1273936375)

Happiness runs in a circular motion!!

G4dget

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Playboy.com? *snigger*

The tutorials here are pretty good as well.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

KaspurGOLD Member
Eternal Student of all things Skill
110 posts

Posted:
Oh my gosh that was hilarious. I posted that from my phone and i guess the predictive text had other things on it's mind.

Happiness runs in a circular motion!!

G4dget