Forums > Social Chat > State-of-the-art videos

Login/Join to Participate

MuckySILVER Member
Rum-Swilling Combustioneer
227 posts

Posted:
Hey guys, I was just wondering if anybody had any specific videos they could point me to that show the state of the spinning arts at a given time; e.g. what did super skilled poi spinning look like ten years ago? Staff? Hoop? Devil sticks? Pretty much anything that would hurt you if it hit the back of your head? wink

I started poi about four years ago and I feel like the average level of skill has gone up since even then, but I'd like to see the progress in action, since it might just be that I appreciate real skill more as *I* progress!

I'm thinking more on the performance side of the spectrum, but I definitely would love to see how "tech" progresses, too!

Thanks a bunch!

Oh, I wasn't sure if this should have gone in the videos forum, so I apologize if I misplaced it!

Bouncing Baby Pipe!

joffjkDIAMOND Member
147 posts

Posted:
There were people who could do crazy moves 10 years a go you just have to go back to some of the stuff on these forums but with YouTube share ideas are so much easier now that more people are at that highier skill base I might have a dig around YouTube and see what u can find you could type matt terry wibbling in to YouTube that video is pretty old
EDITED_BY: joffjk (1273998036)

I love thinking in circles

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
A lot of it wasn't on Youtube.

Coleman did a lot of nice schlick schtuff a few years ago and he didn't use Youtube, so I wouldn't know where to find that sort of stuff anymore.

hug

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Would still be very cool to see. smile

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Yu reckon it's possible to judge on the level of skills isolated from the time they were part of? ...

See, when going to Neanderthal and watching the paintings, one today would say "booooring! my 5year old daughter can paint better than this!"

wink

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Nono....

It would be interesting to view overall trends, for example:
the appearance and rise of flowers.
tangly stuff taking off (still not very common with fire, at least as far as I know).

But you can not isolate a video from its time. I would be interested in seeing what was cutting edge at a certain time because chances are that those moves are now less common.

Not really making much sense here, sorry.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
The Polyrhythm theory stuff is still quite interesting, especially to those who are just picking up poi... polyrhythms seem to be a thing of the past, even if we acknowledge that most hybrids are polyrhythms anyway

hug

MuckySILVER Member
Rum-Swilling Combustioneer
227 posts

Posted:
Aston hit it pretty much on the head. I think with any art you can see the "overall" skill level increase with time (e.g. what must have been mind-blowing painting to a caveman is considered flat and unrealistic now, although nobody disputes that for its time it was an excellent painting). I just thought that since poi has only recently become globally popular there might be some old videos from the earlier days.

Oh, and since Aston mentioned tangles with fire, I wonder if as skills progress there's more of a gap between tech-with-fire and tech-without...

Bouncing Baby Pipe!