Forums > Help! > backyard spinner's first fire spin

Login/Join to Participate

LaLaLandGOLD Member
33 posts

Posted:
Need a little help.
I am "getting ready" to do my first fire spin (after a year and a half) but I had no experienced fire spinner to learn from. So it would be really great if I could get some extra tips/ advice. Did my reading on fuels, burns and safety... but you can never get enough. Add your first fire experience if you will.
Thnx

I'm so smart I'm practically retarded.

FelexSILVER Member
Destroyer of worlds and ooo shiny.
268 posts

Posted:
Have a mate with you that you have told what to do if the worst should happen. ooooops
Play it cool don’t try to do too much at once I find things behave differently when there on fire.
So you might be able to pull off the super moves with your fire poi, staff, squirrels whatever it is your using without a flame.
With one it might not work the same way.

Most importantly enjoy.

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Stick to safe moves, at least for the first few times.

Make sure that someone knows what to do with everything - if you mess up they will have to save your hide.

Make sure that the area you are spinning is safe (no leaves on the floor, grass is not too dry, etc). Especially important if you are playing with throws any....

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
I have an ABC dry chemical fire extinguisher. Never used it, mostly it's for if something else catches, like our tree. You'll probably just be thinking, "Oh censored! Fire!" Stick to safe moves. Have a safety with a wet towel on hand. Have something covering your hair. And be ready for that jet engine noise they make.

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

ecaBRONZE Member
197 posts

Posted:
That "jet engine noise" is the best part about spinning fire imo.

"Think of the pussy, Weevil."
"What's a pussy-weevil?"

2,280 posts

Posted:
Yes it is. I love it! I would hate it if even the fire was enourmous, but it just crackled. But I could also be fine if the flame was smaller than the cathedrals but it roared like a firesnake.

LaLaLandGOLD Member
33 posts

Posted:
thnx for the advice.
Any interesting first fire spins?

2,280 posts

Posted:
Mine is on video, well 2 videos. One of them went out in the middle of the spin and my uncle thought it was done and stopped the camera. It is 2 separate videos because of that.

So here is me after a month of spinning trying fire. This may give you an idea of what you might expect.

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
Now with extra strawberries
810 posts

Posted:
also check out the
https://www.homeofpoi.com/lessons_all/teach

lessons in that section there is lots of safety and first spin info

This video is particularly useful

https://www.homeofpoi.com/lessons_all/teach/Fire-training-video-1_2_2

I {Heart} hand me downs and spinning in the snow.<br /><br />

Flint_413GOLD Member
Fire Artist and Hooper
181 posts

Posted:
Beware the noise its LOUD!! Something good is first burn dont try to do a performance but go through an inventory of all your moves and see what your comfortable with. Do some swings, then some weaves, butterflys etc and just keep note of how it all feels.

If you can't stand the heat, get out of my way.

2,280 posts

Posted:
I tried to do a performance, but I kept chickening out of things.

KaspurGOLD Member
Eternal Student of all things Skill
110 posts

Posted:
I agree with flint. I always say go with what your comfortable with, my first time was a lot of pendulums, some weave, some more pendulums a butterfly or two and i was done, lstm. When you add the roar of the flames and that feeling when they first ignite in your hand, especially on your first burn, it takes a second to think "ok, these are on fire...oh yeah i can spin them".

Warn whoever is your safety to get your attention if have a piece of clothing catch on fire, especially if you can't see it. You don't want them running in to try and put you out when you don't even know your on fire, this could cause further injuries or injure the safety. I usually stop and put my arms out from my body to take care of the problem. Which most of the time does not involve the safety putting me out but them making me aware that i am on fire and then taking care of it myself if i can.

Happiness runs in a circular motion!!

G4dget

LaLaLandGOLD Member
33 posts

Posted:
SoD, great first burn. Very good.
Saw that new fire poi design you made yourself. Like. How did you come up with that one?

2,280 posts

Posted:
Umm, how did I come up with it? I had Kevlar that I was going to send back because I didn't have enough and I started trying to find out how I could maximize surface are for the cost using 4 strands. And I decided to take the strand away from one side. It was kinda too small, then I took the strand and added it to the other side making it 3 strands wide and 1 long. Then I decided I was going to go off on a limb and try that out. Then I underestimated how long 7 inches was and it turned out being even longer, but it was awesome anyways.