Page:
_Poiboy_PLATINUM Member
bastard child of satan
1,113 posts

Posted:
This is the same as the staff goals thread, but for poi.
Basically, write down some of your goals for your poi spinning this year.
Anyway, here are mine :

1) Work on my dancing
2) Play with stall combos
3) Get better at contact poi
4) Clean up antispin flower stalls
5) Clean up throws
6) Finish my fire poi routine and my manipulation poi routine.
7) Make more tutorials
8) Do paid workshops, preferably outside Israel.
9) Perform a lot more
10) Go to: Firedrums, CBY, EJC, Bristol JC, Motion festival.

brenonfire413SILVER Member
Fire Spinner Exarch
514 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: EpitomeOfNovice
LOL I don't think a change in colors would help much! I looked those up and I think I could whack myself good with those and it would sting really bad though! eek

Congrats on getting the 3 beat down! I'll give you a touch of advice you can take or leave. DVDs are your friend when you don't know anyone in person to learn off of and the slower you spin the more control you have, plus bonks hurt a lot less.

Even when I use LEDs I have to have them on my chains because I suck using light weight items (yep I weight my socks too!). Just something to think about and experiment with using items you can find around the house or go out an buy if you wanted to cool

It's all good and keep on a spinning! It's going to be 50 degrees here on Friday so I get to go and play outside again! Yay!!! *getting outdoors more is on my goal sheets!!!*

Thanks! smile Yeah I finally figured it out at 4am, was so tired and drained of emotion I was satisfied that I got it, but strangely there was no joy or sense of triumph. Finally the next day after polishing it up, I realized how fun a move it is! Now it's easy and I've pretty much got the reverse down. Now I'm watching Derek's vids on the 3 beat turn so I can move onto the fountain. It's weird how a trick can be very confusing, but once you have it down it becomes real easy to get right into it with little difficulty!

Yeah it was not so cold as to make spinning miserable outside so I got in some time in the sunshine. It had been weeks! The thought of spinning poi where I didn't have to worry about hitting furniture, lights, or dogs almost seemed like a novelty. Not to mention getting to stretch the arms and swing those poi way up high! smile

"Are you sure it's safe to drink bleach?"
"Yes, bleach is 90% water, we are 90% water, therefore: we are bleach."
-Nathan Explosion, Metalocalypse

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
I am in envy of you and your not blistering cold weather ^^ I may have Kevlar sleeves, but there's nothing to protect my fingers from freezing cold practice. I miss the feeling of not worrying about hitting things. And I love that triumph of learning something new ^^ and another triumph when you get it completely down to muscle memory, and then another when you can do it and transition into it smoothly. And then there's another when you learn how it realates to other things in different parts of the move and you can do cool stuff with it grin I can't wait to go outide without anything to hit or slip on (damn you ice) and actually be able to use it now that I'm better and I can work on stuff other than tech.

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

EpitomeOfNoviceGOLD Member
Putting the "FUN" in fundamental since 1981
787 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: brenonfire413 The thought of spinning poi where I didn't have to worry about hitting furniture, lights, or dogs almost seemed like a novelty. Not to mention getting to stretch the arms and swing those poi way up high! smile

QFT!!!!!! yes

It makes my cats mad sometimes when I spin inside and my apartment has low ceilings so I'm pretty syked about the warm wave coming. Most moves that need work for me right now involve my arms being extended (especially flowers) plus practicing contact staff indoors poses more issues than my poi practice! ooooops

Fresh air and getting more of a workout from it are important to me too, so practicing outside is crucial!

~Rock on!~

"As the pattern gets more intricate and subtle, being swept along is no longer enough"-Waking Life

(All you RLers this is epitome_of_lame *waves hello*)

TeamoGOLD Member
Almost again
124 posts

Posted:
Well I just got my flowlights yesterday and played with them a bit. Super fun! Only thing is, the lights showed me that the patterns that I thought I had down well were actually quite unclean and inconsistent frown. So there's another goal for me, getting comfortable with flowlights smile .

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
owner of the group property
1,277 posts

Posted:
Hi, everyone! I'm bumping this thread in case, like me, you have forgotten to actually work on some of the stuff you mentioned above. So flip back, find your list, berate yourself as appropriate, and get back to work.

(If btb didn't hurt so damn much I'd probably stop putting it off.)

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

Fire Spinner Exarch
514 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: brenonfire413Here's my 2010 list for a guy that's been doing poi now for about 2 months....

1. Get in the routine or practicing every day
2. Improve flow on the tricks I know now.
3. Learn new tricks only after getting decent at known tricks
4. Practice getting comfortable spinning in front of onlookers
5. Get fire poi and start practicing with those
6. Buy a sports cup so I don't embarrass myself at the inevitable crotch-hit
7. Figure out ways of transitioning from various tricks into others
8. Meet other local spinners and try and make a group if possible

That's all I can think of for now....

1. More or less. Now that I'm out of work for the time being there is LOTS of time for spinning
2. Hahahaha that's funny, oh how naive I was when I was young
3. Have actually stuck to that pretty good
4. Not quite there yet. Mostly solo
5. Still not. Been spinning indoors because of the weather so that's largely been redundant.
6. Largely unnecessary since I got really good at butterflys and initial plane control
7. I'm actually at that point now where I can see how the tricks I do know can tie into one and another
8. Nope, still the lone wolf in this regard. I haven't spun in public like at parties or a bar to really attract attention and it's never come up with anyone I've met.

That's all I can think of for now.......

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Sister Eleven1) Movement and transitions. Basically, increasing my visual appeal and getting flexible with the moves I know.
2) Improving behind the back movements. Right now I can do a reverse btb weave badly, and that's it.
3) Fixing my weak handedness/weak directions.
4) Throws.
5) Orbitals.
6) Discover and attend some object manipulation events that I can actually make it to.
7) Set things on fire at least every other week.

1. I've actually been working on this seriously, and I'm getting pretty happy with the results. Except for dance-like aspects; I still think I look kinda dumb/boring most of the time.
2. I've been avoiding this like the plague, which is dumb because a lot of the skillz I've been admiring lately need it.
3. Decent progress on this.
4. Haven't been working on this for want of a decent grip on my poi. Still can't do a catch that doesn't change the poi's direction.
5. Still know orbitals.
6. Besides Seattle Tech Spinners events, still nothin'. I still have not heard of any west coast, much less northwest, object manipulation festival type things.
7. Way behind on this one. I burned once in January, and haven't burned yet this month. Which means there are now two months in which I have to burn three times if I'm going to meet this goal tongue2

I am also surprised at the goals that are not on my initial list that I've actually been spending more time on lately: plane switching, driving styles (my isolations need a huge amount of work outside of a few limited uses, and my cat-eyes much more so), and wraps.

Fire Spinner Exarch
514 posts

Posted:
At least teach yourself the spiral wrap if you haven't. It's so much fun, easy, and I'm discovering that it's a fantastic way to cheat at making a transition. Trick-wrap-unwrap-new trick!

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
I just got spiral wraps week before last. Even got the hang of continuous spiral wrapping. Now I'm trying to get down the timing on spiral wrap/plane switch/unwrap. Because there's something luscious about wrapping up in wall plane and unwrapping on ceiling plane.

2,280 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: SpinnerofDetroit1) Work on dancing/flow
2) Work on btb moves without hitting my legs
3) Work on pirouettes and footwork
4) Different kinds of hybrids
5) Btb wheelplane weave turn, YOU WILL BE MINE!
6) Achieve a fire orbital
7) Get really good at stalls, especially the sideways coming from the bottom
8) Surprise my German exchange student by pulling a fire snake without him knowing
9)Become known in my school for firespinning*
10) Really good at crossers and other wallplane business
*starting to happen
1. Not really, because I haven't gotten to go outside, but all the new things I learned go me to flow so overall: Yes, to a point
2. Haha! It's so easy for me not I laugh at that one
3. Still working on them but it's near impossible when I can't go outside.
4. Oh yeah, I love these grin
5. Very yes, and much more than do it, play with it in various ways. Also learned it's called a waistwrap.
6. Yay, I like this one.
8. This requires a waiting period until let's see, October.
9. This slowed down, but has expanded as my group of friends has.
10. laugh3

2,280 posts

Posted:
What is a meltdown fountain?

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
Drex had a recent tech blog post on them. One of the variations he shows is pretty bad-ass.

_Poiboy_PLATINUM Member
bastard child of satan
1,113 posts

Posted:
Pre-Eurotrip Goal update:

1) Work on my dancing - Getting better, it's one of those things I will constantly be improving.
2) Play with stall combos - Not enough...
3) Get better at contact poi - Finding lots of new stuff, contact poi is fun!
4) Clean up antispin flower stalls - Done smile
5) Clean up throws - Done, plus it's one of my main focuses at the moment, so lots of throw geekery will come.
6) Finish my fire poi routine and my manipulation poi routine. - Fire routine is done, starting to work on my manipulation routine.
7) Make more tutorials - Done smile
8) Do paid workshops, preferably outside Israel. -Will do this summer
9) Perform a lot more -Done, and Will do this summer
10) Go to: Firedrums, CBY, EJC, Bristol JC, Motion festival. -Missed firedrums, Motion and Bristol clash, but otherwise I'm going to all my planned festivals +KFF

poifull_spiritGOLD Member
journeyman
64 posts

Posted:
Also a Pre-eurotrip Goals list

1. work on my whirling
2. get antispin neat and awesome.
3. get 6 petal antispin looking hot
4. learn properly and tighten up 3D antispin patterns
5. develop ideas on throw motions opposing arm motions
6. develop a proper fire routine.
7. write and practice and get a circle show for busking solid
8. get at least another 40 tutorials up on my website
9. build better looking website
10. get paid to teach workshops
11. get paid to perform
12. film at least 1 tutorial in a different language.
13. organize another retreat to teach awesome things to awesome people!
14. get to EJC!!!

aahhh.... soooo much to do!

2,280 posts

Posted:
Goals for me:
1. Get as many poi followers as possible.
2. Somehow to do more double staff. Not as fun as poi at all smirk I also have more trouble coming up with things to do.

ecaBRONZE Member
197 posts

Posted:
Mine:

-Get everything I know down, rock solid
-Teach a beginner poi workshop focused on movement. None of this "this is how you do a butterfly," bullshit that keeps new spinners in one place.
-finally figure out crossers and reels
-spin more
-burn more
-flow more

"Think of the pussy, Weevil."
"What's a pussy-weevil?"

2,280 posts

Posted:
I agree with the teaching, that's how I'm doing it. Although I am showing him the weave because he asked. He also taught himself the butterfly anyways. I got to witness him take a few nutshots today lol2

ecaBRONZE Member
197 posts

Posted:
It's not that that is a bad way to teach/learn, I just feel something that allows for more body movement would be better (and I've got a great idea in mind).

"What's a pussy-weevil?"

2,280 posts

Posted:
I hope you do. I'm going with moving with poi first, then whatever they want.

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
Fun to see this thread get bumped again. Been working seriously on my throws and have made a lot of progress. Between those and plane breaking stuff, I haven't had any shortage of stuff to work on recently. Still slacking on btb, but starting to come back to it a little more seriously; ditto with my isolations, cat-eyes, and utl, because once I can combine more hybrids and places around my body with what I know now, the possibilities kinda explode. Kinda hit a dead end with wraps; I'm just not sure where to go beyond a few of the simple wraps I know.

Catching up on my burn backlog. I know Firedrums exists now, which I hadn't last time I posted on this thread--still missed it, tho frown And I still look like an arthritic sloth when I try to dance.

ecaBRONZE Member
197 posts

Posted:
Sis: If you're looking for more wrap ideas, look into glowstringing, crazy wraps all over the place, many of which can be used with poi as well.

"What's a pussy-weevil?"

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Sister ElevenAnd I still look like an arthritic sloth when I try to dance.

*collapses laughing*

That is all. tongue2

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
Maybe I'm being hard on myself. Could be more like rickets than arthritis.

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
Dunno. Would like to see though. *cue hintage*

787 posts

Posted:
I have a new one and it's a good opportunity to conquer my fears and improve performing but I'm uberfrightened about it!

After the Fire Poi Choreography workshop I'll be invited to join the class fire spinning on stage Saturday night of the Coalesce Festival. I'm hoping that'll be enough time to get over my performance anxiety and I tend to be more relaxed at festival, but it'll take all of my courage and follow through to spin on stage outside of workshop for all of festival to watch.

I'm going to shoot for it anyway since that's the whole point of workshops and I will have good fire practice with a few classes to help get me comfortable and confident with spectators and supporters.

~Rock on!~

"As the pattern gets more intricate and subtle, being swept along is no longer enough"-Waking Life

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
Go for it!

hug

2,280 posts

Posted:
I accomplished one of mine. Get a paid gig! I should be getting at least $100. They're charging $10 at the door to see me and I get to keep as much as I want. But for doing this for me I think I'll let him keep at least 20%. He said there'll be at least 20 people going so umm. Cha-ching grin

ChinChinniOh, there goes art.
23 posts

Posted:
1) Meet poi-people in my area
2) Learn my sister some moves
3) Improve my own skills
4) Learn new skills
5) Do more poi
6) Remember to not put on a skirt while spinning!
7) First fire spin?

Have you seen my marbles?

787 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: astonGo for it!

hug

I'm going to and will try to get some video of it to upload thankx

~Rock on!~

2,280 posts

Posted:
Don't worry, it's so easy once you're up there smile You will be nervous, but try to focus on your spinning and not the crowd. Once you're used to the crowd, than it's much easier to make eye contact smile

Page: