bjrcboyBRONZE Member
journeyman
74 posts

Posted:
Polyhedron - a solid figure bounded by plane polygons or faces.

I've started this thread to embark on a journey; a journey of nth dimensional poi constructs.

The 2nd dimension: (Height, width)
Most people spin in the second dimension almost exclusively(well almost, more on that later). They stick to one plane usually at their sides or in front of their body. On these planes their poi live, spinning circles, isolations, and beautiful flowers. The thing is while this is great for learning it extremely limits our possibilities as poi-ist.

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

Now earlier in the post I said that people almost exclusively spin in the second dimension. While this is true perhaps I should have said people almost exclusively draw in the second dimension.

"Draw? What do you mean draw! With what pencil?"
"Imagine the poi head as your pencil"
"Oh! I get it"

While I'll admit these are extremely beautiful patterns, we need to expand our minds. By adding a third dimension

How do we add a third dimension(breadth) to our spinning you ask? Plane changes, which believe it or not every one who masters the three beat weave has mastered one form of changing planes.

What do I mean? Well imagine the symbol for infinity ∞ (a Lemniscate) and fold it in half length wise. Does this remind you of anything? It should be the very first move you ever learned, the three beat weave. Which is a nifty way of changing from a plane on one side of your body to another on the opposite side.

See you already know one way of changing planes. Lets add a few more... queue the third dimension!!! duck

The 3rd dimension: (Height, Width and Breadth)
3D spinning has been popping up every where on the internet lately and its just what this community needs!

The simplest way of entering the third dimension while spinning is to take the Lemniscate and bend it length wise only 90 degrees - forming a corner. Lets practice this a bit:

Perform a two beat weave with one poi, one circle on the left of your body then another on the right(folded lemniscate) and work on unfolding this by 90 degrees. So you end up tracing one circle in front of your body and another to the right(or left). Congratulations you've purposely entered the third dimension!

Now this may not seem useful at first but, you've just opened a whole new world of spinning. Which brings me back to the topic of this thread

Polyhedron Flowers
Now that we can unfold the lemniscate what can we do with it you ask? I've found that this unfolding lends its self well to flowers. For instance if you are spinning a normal four petal flower in front of your body(wallplane) with one hand you can seamlessly transition into one of the side planes by unfolding the flower into the next plane.

I like to imagine a polyhedron surrounding my body, the easiest of which is a cube. I limit myself to only spinning on the faces of the cube.

Non-Https Image Link

If you use both poi in same time same direction with your arms moving in split time it seems as if you are spinning two flowers side by side. But you're not since they are surrounding your body.

Non-Https Image Link

This is only the tip of the iceberg. You can easily spin on other polyhedron, one I've been playing with is a octahedron.

Non-Https Image Link

Give it a try and see what you can come up with! you're really only limited by your imagination.

Sadly this is all I have time for today but, soon I will return with studies from the fourth dimension.

Hint:
Non-Https Image Link

Till then my friends

Peace, Love and Circles
-Gerald

EDITED_BY: bjrcboy (1273116819)

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Nice. Has been brought up before, try looking around on here.

Have not gone very far with it all myself, but oh well.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
YES. I approve.

Look into things like Platonic solids, golden ratio, and Curves. Also watch the way that the world moves around you.

basically the path of least resistance.

Take a curved motion, and instead of stopping to change direction, turn it.

Remember the way of changing from Weave to butterfly that involves the wrenching of planes, and everyone thought was bad and wrong technique? It's not. It's just not explored properly. smile

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

[ Unregistered ]addict
413 posts

Posted:
I disagree, there is only one wall plane flower move floating around that can be described as polyhedron
and I've saw it only twice as far I know.

If you claim there is allready a discussion about this sort of move,
place here a link not just plain phrase..

ninja

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Here is the link to the old page, though you could have found this as easily as I did...

[Old link]

hug

poifull_spiritGOLD Member
journeyman
64 posts

Posted:
I have just begun trying to explore this kinda stuff. I'm practicing a perpetually plane changing antispin thing that i i know is freaking awesome cos i've seen pineapple pete do it.

For pictures check out the Petey in the Zone album in this facebook page:

www.facebook.com/pages/Poi-Dojo/108089989226888?ref=ts

sorry, i'd give you a direct link but i'm at work and thus facebook is blocked.

I also have a youtube video up asking Nick, and G to explore these ideas:

As you can see, i still can't do this stuff but i'm working hard on it and i get the ideas (which i think are really awesome exciting ideas!).

let me know if any of the links don't work and i'll repost them from my home compy.

bjrcboyBRONZE Member
journeyman
74 posts

Posted:
Greetings from the third dimension!

Non-Https Image Link

It sure adds depth

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

One of my favorites, the front petals seem to be interlocking

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

I tried to encircle both "slanted" flowers that were on each side of my body with a circle behind my body.(In relation to the viewer) Needless to say it almost worked. smirk

Non-Https Image Link

EDITED_BY: bjrcboy (1273075329)

bjrcboyBRONZE Member
journeyman
74 posts

Posted:

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

Back in flatland my mind raced...

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

Till next time fellow Planiturians!
-Gerald
EDITED_BY: bjrcboy (1273075201)

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: [ Unregistered ]I disagree, there is only one wall plane flower move floating around that can be described as polyhedron
and I've saw it only twice as far I know.
ninja

Sounds like you want to stop thinking of moves, and start thinking in paths.

Paths can be redirected and changed. moves can't. That's the annoying thing about labels.

Wall plane is in front of your body. your body can move, therefore the planes can too.

Box plane theory is also the same thing, it just hasn't been explored properly yet to turn the boxes into polyhedrons.

meditate

:ps: Any chance of getting those photos made smaller?

Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Be Water My Friend.

bjrcboyBRONZE Member
journeyman
74 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: LookThisChanges
:ps: Any chance of getting those photos made smaller?

Oops, I guess I was still disoriented from my visit to the third dimension. My friend the Space Hopper gave me this contraption the VUE, Virtual Unreality Engine, to let me - a simple flatlander- view into higher dimensions.

It should be fixed now.
-Gerald

poifull_spiritGOLD Member
journeyman
64 posts

Posted:
bjrcboy thos photos are freaking awesome!

What are you doing in the 3rd one from the bottom. i get your repeating whatever it is and then slowly dropping your hands but what's the motion?

thanks for the info to, I really wanna get into the 3rd dimension more... there just so much to explore!!!

bjrcboyBRONZE Member
journeyman
74 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: poifull_spiritbjrcboy thos photos are freaking awesome!

What are you doing in the 3rd one from the bottom. i get your repeating whatever it is and then slowly dropping your hands but what's the motion?

thanks for the info to, I really wanna get into the 3rd dimension more... there just so much to explore!!!

Thanks! and thats a orbital thats gone up and around my head. The exposure was a little long on that one. But I still think it came out neat.

There really is a lot more to explore, not only of 3-polytope flowers but contact, orbitals(flowers, stalls, opposites, ect..) I think we'll all be busy for years to come =)

bjrcboyBRONZE Member
journeyman
74 posts

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
bjrcboy: Unfortunately, your photos aren't showing much relevance to the topic of this thread. Maybe some explanation as to what you're trying to show would be helpful.

I also recommend not showing us glow trails, but daytime spinning instead. Glow trails have a tendency to be easily mistaken for 2D, or sloppy spinning.

With a video of you spinning patterns (or even stop motion photography), we can see things like your body changing orientation, and also see what your separate hands are doing smile

A cube (or cuboid) is the easiest to spin (Yes, spin, not antispin) that I have found so far, but you need to step out of the pattern for a beat or two whilst you spin the bottom face. Although thinking about it, a pyramid (the kind with four faces) should also be relatively easy. Think of a beat as a flat circle, which provides you with one face. then find the correct point, and the path of the poi will curve easily to the next face. Spin both poi in opposite positions, and there's your polyhedron made a little bit easier.

Oli did a little research into these a while ago, but I have no idea how deep he went smile

Platonic solids, anyone? those Greeks were the awesome.

Be Water My Friend.

chemairoSILVER Member
person who like to spin all gears
62 posts

Posted:
I don't know if I am going into the same direction like you are doing.

My idea is that I am not playing inside a box with 3 different planes.
My idea is that my planes are bending. For example the wallplane gets more into something like a diagonal plane.
At the end my planes get into something like that.

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

For example in this case you have got 4 corners and 4 planes.
In each plane you can do for example a triquetra and at each corner with a petal you can switch into another plane.
At the end you would have some more cases...
one tetrahedron pointing up with a antispin-petal over your head and another tetrahedron pointing downwards to your feets. And then you can rotate the tetrahedron pointing in each direction you would like.

Another idea would be putting a 4 petal antispin flower inside this tetrahedron so at each petal you would change the plane.
Problem at this would be, that you rotate the whole time while doing this, because you need to do it or it wouldn't work...

Hope the idea gets clear and when the weather gets better I try to make a video of it.

PS: Can anyone draw a .jpg-file for this idea because I suck at drawing poi flowers...

LovebattallionGOLD Member
stranger
1 post

Posted:
I am so happy to see this discussion! I have been exploring the solids too, especially the octahedron. The cube is useful too but I find it much more static, fitting the esoteric descriptions of the solids. The phi based shapes (dodecahedron and icosahedron) tend to be tricky because they don't tend to have 90 degree angles unless you stack them in lattices and that bumps up the difficulty a notch. The same goes for the 60 degree tetrahedron but I feel it is withing reach in time.

I recorded some practicing the other day and I added some pictures to better illustrate the structures. The lighting could be better but I hope you see past that. The music is Tipper - Everything is Everywhere.

What you put out is what you get back

bjrcboyBRONZE Member
journeyman
74 posts

Posted:
Your hyperbolic ellipsoid around 5:20ish is sorta the idea I was thinking of.But instead of using sticking to the edges I was thinking of doing flowers on each of the faces(Three petal) and using the points of the petals to "unfold" the Lemniscate. Great Ideas though! where are you located stranger? I'd be down to get geeky sometime if we are close! haha

I've been juggling(club spinning) more lately but I have a feeling this may have gotten me back into more poi. Thanks