Forums > Technical Discussion > VIDEO camera to recording fire AND glow spinning?

Login/Join to Participate

TideGOLD Member
Future pyrotechnician...? Or something.
111 posts

Posted:
Does anyone have a video camera that's good at recording for both fire and glow? Mainly thinking of poi and the occasional staff person, but I don't know what camera to get.

Price range I'm thinking of is 600 or less, ideally less than 500, though.

This statement is false...?

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
owner of the group property
1,277 posts

Posted:
There's a whole slew of small (pocket sized) HD cameras for $300 USD or under that have produced decent video of my flowlights. The one I've been using is a Kodak Vi6, but several brands use basically the same chipset (and newer versions thereof). They don't give you a lot of control if you're trying to do something a little more involved, but if you're just trying to get decent YouTube footage, they get the job done.

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

TideGOLD Member
111 posts

Posted:
Hm, that's pretty cool. Do you know any of the better brand/product names?

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
owner of the group property
1,277 posts

Posted:
Sony has similar cameras, and Kodak also has newer models than what I'm using. I'll ask my friend who works for Vholdr (helmet cam company); they have a few dozen samples of their closest competitors' cameras, so I can probably get a couple other brands (and maybe some chipset info).

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
Depends what poi you have wink

My old panasonic does a good job with fire and glow, however it has no manual shutter settings. I'm going to try and swipe one of my dad Canon A60s this weekend hopefully

TideGOLD Member
111 posts

Posted:
I'm looking for a video camera.

I heard that for recording fire and glow, the main thing you need is night settings.

True/false?

EDIT!
I read a tutorial on recording glowstringing from GlowSticking.Com that the main things that help recording spinning with glow are being able to control focus/toggling autofocus and and a good nightshot or other lowlight setting.

Is that still how it's done, and is the same, something similar or what else is used to record fire?
EDITED_BY: Tide (1273317372)