MidkiffBRONZE Member
shadow stranger
462 posts

Posted:
ok i have been playin around with triquetra's and i am wondering is a triquetra weave possible?

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able, and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" - Epicurus

bjrcboyBRONZE Member
journeyman
74 posts

Posted:
Explain further please...

Do you mean kind of twirling with a triquetra but only one one half of your body?

I think you might have to orient the trifoil with a petal to the top, bottom and the side. Then use the side petal to switch the triquetra back and forth across your body.

The thing is.. to the audience it looks like it is the same direction(the trifoil) but to you its reveresed. Which messes me up.. I haven't quite mastered the triquetra in both directions. I believe Drex has a tech poi blog on exactly what we are talking about. I'll dig it up in a second.

MidkiffBRONZE Member
shadow stranger
462 posts

Posted:
ok if you do a triquetra and turn sideways and continue to do it then change sides similar to a butterfly weave

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able, and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" - Epicurus

bjrcboyBRONZE Member
journeyman
74 posts

Posted:
Hmmm I don't see how you can do it without doing one full revolution on each side.. unless

You either switch which poi is anti spun. Basically a CAP on each side using the side petal to switch the sides of the body. I'll play with this tonight if I can do it..

I have done a isolation vs trifoil weave though.

MidkiffBRONZE Member
shadow stranger
462 posts

Posted:
well you have to do one full rotation on either side it is a full triquetra i managed to do it for about 1 or 2 beats last night so i know it is possible its just hard to keep going

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
It is certainly possible.

I think Drex was playing with these recently. (blog 78?)

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

bjrcboyBRONZE Member
journeyman
74 posts

Posted:
Oh yeah its defiantly possible. I was just able to get it. Looks a little sloppy but it needs some cleaning up. Why does yours fall apart?

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Insufficient practice with triquetras the other way. Well, swapping between the two at least....

I keep wanting to do something in buzzsaw plane, which while it may be cool, is not really what I am looking for. wink

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

poifull_spiritGOLD Member
journeyman
64 posts

Posted:
Midkiff, these are cool ideas and i'm definitely gonna have a play, i was actually thi9nking about this exact thing after reading bjchboy's thread on the 3d antispin stuff.

On that actually...

bjrchboy, i rekon you can do these triquetras and plane change in the pattern of your octagon. so one up, one down on the diagonal plane on your LHS then plane change to diagonal RHS up and down. it'd probably be easier if your other hand does pendulum rather than extension ala G's triquetras.

if you want you could seperate hands do a triquetra with each hand. because your in diagonal plane they shouldn't hit and it should be possible, but you'll need to be able to do one petal behind you.

Anyway, just a theory, i'm gonna go home after work today and try and put it into practice. i'll let you know if it's possible.

bjrcboyBRONZE Member
journeyman
74 posts

Posted:
Do you mean the octahedron? (eight sided polyhedron)

poifull_spiritGOLD Member
journeyman
64 posts

Posted:
yeah that's what i meant.

Ok, so i gave the theorey a little practice while i was at work. I work in a call centre so i can't really stand up and swing poi around but i was able to do it with short poi sitting down.

The theory works!!!

So if you think of each triagular face of the octahedron as the environment which 1 triqutra spins in then if you're standing with the pts of the octahedron directly in front, behind, left and right. If you are spinning dual triqutras in the diagonal plane then each triqutra shares 2 points. with this you can plane change and triqetra in the opposit triangle. technically you should be able to make an octahedron of triqutra's around you.

i think the difficulty is with the tilting of the triquetra, you can do it without tilting it but it you tilt it it means that all 4 up triqutras around you share a common point, which is awesome cos you can then get to a triqutra from anywhere (ditto for the down ones as well).

bjrcboyBRONZE Member
journeyman
74 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: poifull_spirityeah that's what i meant.

Ok, so i gave the theorey a little practice while i was at work. I work in a call centre so i can't really stand up and swing poi around but i was able to do it with short poi sitting down.

The theory works!!!

So if you think of each triagular face of the octahedron as the environment which 1 triqutra spins in then if you're standing with the pts of the octahedron directly in front, behind, left and right. If you are spinning dual triqutras in the diagonal plane then each triqutra shares 2 points. with this you can plane change and triqetra in the opposit triangle. technically you should be able to make an octahedron of triqutra's around you.

i think the difficulty is with the tilting of the triquetra, you can do it without tilting it but it you tilt it it means that all 4 up triqutras around you share a common point, which is awesome cos you can then get to a triqutra from anywhere (ditto for the down ones as well).

I think triquetras are 3 petal antispin flower vs extension? hmmm

and lets move this conversation over to the other thread poiful.

MidkiffBRONZE Member
shadow stranger
462 posts

Posted:
well i was doing a single triquetra at a time not two at once that is a interesting idea as well

MidkiffBRONZE Member
shadow stranger
462 posts

Posted:
and on further investigation and thought shouldn't you be able to pretty much any flower in a weave pattern?

willow2xSILVER Member
KeepTheWorldSpinning Originator
49 posts

Posted:
theres a hybrid triquetra weave you can do... tri/ext, its a two beat motion with the extension, and a 4 beat with the triquetra. which to me says this is a three beat hybrid weave...

let me know if you think this is valid theory?

KeepTheWorldSpinning with me =]

MidkiffBRONZE Member
shadow stranger
462 posts

Posted:
possibly it seems to me that a triquetra is a hybrid because of antispin vs inspin but i dont know but what i'm trying to convey is doing a normal triquetra the 3 petal flower with the circle around it on both sides you just have to change directions of the butterfly as if you did a triquetra and did a 180

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
I havent been bothered to get off my bum and actually attempt it, but I'm not 100% certain its possible to do a 'triquatra weave'

It would be entirely possible to do the hybrid on both sides of your body, moving the hands in a figure 8 motion, but thats not the technical qualification of a "weave"

A weave requires some level of twisting/untwisting going on between the poi cords and I'm not sure thats possible in a polyrhythm. (The triquatra is a 2:1 polyrhythm)

hug

MidkiffBRONZE Member
shadow stranger
462 posts

Posted:
well i have done it for 2 beats total one each side it was very graitfiying and i will deffinately put a vid on it

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Actually, I spose since it is in an extention, you'd be able to switch which hand is on the outside, to make it technically qualify as a 'weave'

By "The outside" I mean, which hand is closer to your body, making your hands cross. You should theoretically be able to get 2 beats each side... or 1 beat each side with a beat inbetween (makes more sense, more like a 3 beat)

I'll get back to you after I have a fiddle.

And a 2 beat 'weave' qualifies without any real twisting.

Lol, good luck counting beats, I'd suggest you do it off the extended poi rather than the antispinning poi, otherwise you'll hurt yourself thinking about it.
EDITED_BY: Mother_Natures_Son (1273205000)
EDIT_REASON: Added more to it.

hug

MidkiffBRONZE Member
shadow stranger
462 posts

Posted:
i wont be counting beats rather arm movements

meshunderlayBRONZE Member
Juggler/Spinner
612 posts

Posted:
Beats is easier, n'est-ce pas?
5 beat weave has the same basic arm movements as a 3 beat.

MidkiffBRONZE Member
shadow stranger
462 posts

Posted:
i was watching a vid last night and i think that wak does a triquetra weave in one of his vid's the one with big house

MidkiffBRONZE Member
shadow stranger
462 posts

Posted:
well i finally got this down and triquetra turns to! will post a vid soon

MidkiffBRONZE Member
shadow stranger
462 posts

Posted:
https://www.homeofpoi.com/lessons_all/latest_lessons.php
triquetra weave vid is up