Forums > Help! > Too dependent on mirror for spinning

Login/Join to Participate

Nightherons
stranger

Total posts: 9
Posted:I nearly always practice spinning somewhere I can see my reflection (or shadow).

Obviously having an external view of yourself is useful for honing moves and posture. However I've become a bit dependent on it. I've not performed for others for nearly a year - I just practice by myself. It's not just perfectionism (or narcissism) - I like watching the patterns I make in the same way I enjoy watching a video of another spinner.

I guess the obvious advice would be to practice more away from a reflection, and I'll try to do that. But when I do, I feel I've lost a major grounding/reference, and have slightly less inspiration.

Just wonder if anyone else has been through a stage like this and has any tips. Cheers.

EDITED_BY: Nightherons (1272907183)

Delete Topic

aston
aston

Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
Total posts: 4061
Posted:Try practicing in front of a camera for a bit: you will get the same feedback, but delayed.

You can then work on correcting any errors.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Delete

brenonfire413
brenonfire413

Fire Spinner Exarch
Total posts: 514
Posted:Yeah I just discovered the joys of having a nice big mirror to perform in front of. Definitely good for seeing your facial expressions or posture. Aston's idea is good. Or why not close your eyes for short periods? That works for me having a very sharp sense of touch. It gets you to acquire a feel for how the poi are moving rather than seeing it.

"Are you sure it's safe to drink bleach?"
"Yes, bleach is 90% water, we are 90% water, therefore: we are bleach."
-Nathan Explosion, Metalocalypse

Delete

Icarus Forde
Icarus Forde

Just Icarus//Spinner//Pyro//Geek
Total posts: 261
Posted:Agreed with brenon on closing your eyes. I was totally dependant on seeing my shadow for a while there, then I blacked out my staff with electrical tape, blacked out my clothes and practiced at night. Sure, I came out with a few bumps and bangs... But now I can do it with my eyes closed. Well worth the pain. smile

Delete

animatEd
animatEd

1 + 1 = 3
Total posts: 3540
Posted:yup, stop watching the patterns, start FEELING them.

Close your eyes, and instead of thinking 'Oh sh!t! I can't see!' think 'What are my arms doing?'.

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

Delete

eca
Total posts: 197
Posted:Put on some tunes you're really into and that make you wanna move, clear your mind, feel the music, close your eyes and spin.

One's own mind is easy to control. I find unless I'm actually practicing (ie intentionally trying to improve), it's easier for me with a clear mind where I'm not really focused on anything. I've also found it helps get me "in the flow".

Or, get a room covered in mirrors (at least all four walls). Then, it doesn't really matter where you look or how you move, you can see yourself. (Ooh, fun idea, poi video in one of those 360 mirror rooms :D)

"Think of the pussy, Weevil."
"What's a pussy-weevil?"

Delete

aston
aston

Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
Total posts: 4061
Posted:Originally Posted By: ecaOr, get a room covered in mirrors (at least all four walls). Then, it doesn't really matter where you look or how you move, you can see yourself. (Ooh, fun idea, poi video in one of those 360 mirror rooms :D)

Cute. tongue2

I have never really used mirrors, probably should from time to time.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Delete

Nightherons
stranger

Total posts: 9
Posted:Good advice all round, thanks people.

I'm doing more with my eyes closed and it's starting to help already. And a camera would also be a good way to reduce my camera fear, so maybe one day I can make a video that's something like my normal ability.

Delete