Forums > Help! > Spiral Wraps, Scary as HELL!!!

Login/Join to Participate

Flint_413GOLD Member
Fire Artist and Hooper
181 posts

Posted:
Okay I've been learning spiral wraps and btb weaves with the glow poi and just upgraded to fire tonight. The btb weave went well but the spiral wraps were SCARY AS HELL!!!! I think if I just keep doing them with the fire I can desensetize myself to it (like all the other fire moves) but I'm so nervous I dont do them right and end up getting tangled in them which makes me even more nervous. Anyone go through this? Anyone have advice and calming myself down? I know I'm being irrational seeing as I have kevlar sleeves in between the fire/chains and my skin and hello I stick flaming torches in my mouth, why is this the thing that freaks me out??

If you can't stand the heat, get out of my way.

triptricianSILVER Member
UFO Spotting
350 posts

Posted:
i myself have a fairly vivid imagination so i practise with my fire chains imagining them on fire. if i muff a move up in practice i dont touch once lit. Personally i find my confidence is born out of preparedness but having said that i still get nervous as sh*t even with the moves i have done a thousand times alight

EDIT: i find this helps me but unfortunately the vivid imagination can work the oppposite way too
EDITED_BY: triptrician (1271312672)

would rather have a bottle-in-front-of-me than a frontal lobotomy

"The dangers of life are infinate and among them is safety"(geothe)

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Practice getting yourself untangled from a poor spiral wrap, so if you do stuff it up later on, then you know automatically what to do to prevent injury. If you're not entirely comfortable with spiral wraps without fire, DO NOT do them with fire.

hug

Icarus FordeBRONZE Member
Just Icarus//Spinner//Pyro//Geek
261 posts

Posted:
I'm not 100% sure what a spinal wrap is, since I'm not a poi person, I'm more a firestaff chap to be honest, but I find that when I'm not as confident about a move that when it's lit, I get a lot better at it - something to do with the fact that I could set myself on fire if I don't do it right clicks in my brain, and it just happens... Most of the time. smile

So yeah, not sure what the point of this post was, but it's something to try if you're in a particularly risky mood. smile

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Icarus: Spiral wraps will tie your hands together with flames right on them. A lot harder to bail out of than with a staff. wink

OP: I second MNS' suggestion: make sure you can get out of a botched one and get them nice and comfy without fire. I would also suggest that you get used to the idea by doing partial wraps (basically, bounce the heads off your hands simultaneously).

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Icarus FordeBRONZE Member
Just Icarus//Spinner//Pyro//Geek
261 posts

Posted:
Ah, right. Ok, ignore my suggestion then, it seems like a quick way to self immolation, especially if you have hairy arms. tongue2

liquidtrancei dream in circles...
336 posts

Posted:
i recommend trying spiral wraps on the horizontal plane above your head to begin with for fire, gravity helps you out and you'll pretty much never mess up. Really easy, you can do continuous wraps and can play with spinning around in different directions wink

even chuck norris can't pin you down if your on fire

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
With me, I had this problem. Horizontal ones seemed a lot more scary to me and still do thinking about them. I got myself to do it by engraving part of a routine to a song in my brain. When I played the music without thinking I did the wrap and at the time it had been like 2 months since I last tried one and for some reason it was just really easy. But just try to make a way for you so that you do it without thinking. Like no I can do them with no protection no problem.

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

Flint_413GOLD Member
Fire Artist and Hooper
181 posts

Posted:
Thank you guys! I'm with Detroit and MNS here most of all. Good preparadness and doing something to get my mind off of it. I remember with the one shoulder hoop trick I had the same problem so I'd take a deep breath and exhale as I did it to give me something else to think about. I think that might be the key. Its not really practice because I can do them with glow and unlit fire poi no problem! Its just the fire that makes me panic. I guess I just gotta go out there and try to convince myself I'm Nick Woolsey tongue2

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
owner of the group property
1,277 posts

Posted:
I got over my trepidation about spiral wraps by being a lunatic who's not sufficiently scared of fire. I thought of all the things that could go wrong, remembered there were still some rough edges to my clockwise wrap, and went ahead and did every spiral wrap variation I could do with my chains anyway.

Do not let me be your example, though tongue2

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

2,280 posts

Posted:
For me it wasn't Nick, but Thomas. I copied his intro so I could get myself to do a spiral wrap. After I did it, it was very easy to do all the time I went on in the same burn to do his style continuous spiral wrap which I love to do, it's fun learn it tongue2 It makes the poi go boom boom boom boom boom BWAHAHA! Eghem, but yeah, it's fun grin

Flint_413GOLD Member
Fire Artist and Hooper
181 posts

Posted:
HAHAHA!!! Very nice xD I'm gonna give it another try tonight. I have a performance tomorrow that I hope I can do a spiral wrap in.

2,280 posts

Posted:
Well you night want to know how to do them. You let the poi wrap once around your wrists and the lock your hands together.

Flint_413GOLD Member
Fire Artist and Hooper
181 posts

Posted:
Oh ya I can do them perfectly fine just the fire freaks me out. Well it did b4 last night. I find with me that a lot of this stuff doesn't click until its do or die, last night at the performance I did 2 flawless spiral wraps xD YYYAAAAYYYY!!!! I had a breakthrough! They weren't scary at all. Haha grin

2,280 posts

Posted:
Yeah I know. Once you get past the fear once, it's not there anymore (for most things). At least that's how it's worked for me so far. Like just today I FINALLY succeeded in cradling my fire poi while on fire. I held it for about 1 second then I felt the burn and I threw them back into spinning. Also I figured out that the part that felt burning was the part that was not touching the fire poi, because cathedrals are too small to hold with my entire had laugh3 I haven't tried it again yet, but I hope it's easier, I know it would be easier with my chain guards because my fear is of the hot metal, but I need glue to hold them together because they've frayed so much before I can use them again.

Flint_413GOLD Member
Fire Artist and Hooper
181 posts

Posted:
Ah yes glue is good! As long as its not frayed all is well smile I love cradling, it really astounds the audience. I have kevlar sleeves I always wear that cover my palm so I can hold them indefinetly. Its kinda a cool way to start off smile

2,280 posts

Posted:
Hold on, I have those and it covers my palm. So you're saying as long as you're hand is touching the poi you can hold it indefinitely? Because those sleeves definitely cover no fingers and a part of 2 of my fingers is where I felt the burn.

Flint_413GOLD Member
Fire Artist and Hooper
181 posts

Posted:
I wrap the chains around my wrists then kinda of scoop the poi up so I have it sitting in the palm of my hand with my hand as flat as possible. So my fingers arent necessarily around it but its sitting in my palm.

poifull_spiritGOLD Member
journeyman
64 posts

Posted:
flint, sounds cool, i'll have to try that.

i just thought i'd throw a safety note in for people learning spiral wraps with fire. if you get into trouble point your hands down and jerk the poi off the ends of your hands. theis is the quickest and safest way to release, it doesn't look to cool but hey, it's for when your in trouble.

flint the next step is to do an inwards spiral wrap. i'll explain:

spin in butterfly, stick your hands in the way and allow the poi to wrap around them. if you have them at the right length they should land on the tops of your hands. with a little flick you can unwind them (you can of course do this in rev butterfly too). the scary part comes because often as they come in to land the poi twist together. I usually do this trick with gloves on, make sure they're 100% kevlar/cotton/wool/leather, but i've pulled it off a couple of times without them.

the cool thing about this move is once you get comfortable you can let the poi sit on top of your hands for a bit and it looks awesome, then just smoothly unwrap!

Flint_413GOLD Member
Fire Artist and Hooper
181 posts

Posted:
OMFG Poifull! That sounds AMAZING!! Must learn this! I'm kinda a wrap whore now tongue2

2,280 posts

Posted:
I can when I have gloves on doing a normal spiral wrap when they warp around, I can hold them there for a second or so the flick them and they spiral back out, I did it on video and it looks so cool grin

brenonfire413SILVER Member
Fire Spinner Exarch
514 posts

Posted:
Spiral wraps are addictive, I've lost virtually all the hair on my hands and wrists!

"Are you sure it's safe to drink bleach?"
"Yes, bleach is 90% water, we are 90% water, therefore: we are bleach."
-Nathan Explosion, Metalocalypse

Flint_413GOLD Member
Fire Artist and Hooper
181 posts

Posted:
I'm a wrap whore now tongue2

sbengeGOLD Member
oddball
20 posts

Posted:
i've found having only one head lit to start with and then going into a spiral wrap is a nice way to start a burn