Forums > Help! > Finding it very difficult to decide what to start off with - anyone use LEDs with chains?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
TemeritySeekerBRONZE Member
stranger
4 posts

Posted:
I feel like I really really want to get into doing poi. I've made my own sock ones and I can do some basic moves but I (think) I'd like to buy some LEDS.
However, I know I want to go onto doing fire poi and was thinking of starting off with leds connected by chains. Is this a possibilty and if so would you advise it?

I did search the forum attempting to find a topic like this for a few days before I signed up but my search was unsuccessful, apologies if such a topic has already been posted.

EDITED_BY: TemeritySeeker (1272913253)

ecaBRONZE Member
197 posts

Posted:
It is possible. Don't know if it would be recommended though. I haven't done much with LED's.

"Think of the pussy, Weevil."
"What's a pussy-weevil?"

stranger
4 posts

Posted:
What would you recommend starting with if the aim is to move onto fire?
(I'm guessing people don't start with fire much?

ecaBRONZE Member
197 posts

Posted:
I recently started fire. I began learning with socks filled with rice (I used 1/2 cup, but am finding it to be too light).

"What's a pussy-weevil?"

stranger
4 posts

Posted:
I have juggling balls in socks but they really annoy me since one is more stretched than the other. I'd prefer to get a proper set.

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
I would recommend using Colecord. But you can use HoP's Nickel Plated Steel (NPS) ball chain. That's what I would recommend for LED's. But if you like orbitals, use Colecord. And for practice poi if you want heavy like bigger fire poi, you can use chains and make something out of cheap rope.

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

Smurf24029GOLD Member
Poi Master Smurf
343 posts

Posted:
I love the led poi balls HOP sells. I hav a regular rainbow and the pro series multifunction ones. Also a few pairs of foxy socks. The socks do stretch pretty bad and get to be longer then the other, but I love them non the less.

Fly High
Spin Hard
Don't Stop

2,280 posts

Posted:
I hate hate hate the Foxxy socks! mad They look cool, but the stretch makes me want to bring them to life just so I can stab them and watch them bleed.

MidkiffBRONZE Member
shadow stranger
462 posts

Posted:
but for all to see do not put the led on chains the quicklink will break the connector piece on the led poi head this has happened to me one of them broke and the other is almost broke and since learning orbitals it is deteriorating still frown

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able, and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" - Epicurus

2,280 posts

Posted:
If you mean the standard HoP LED's those suck! I had those I went through 5 replacement pairs because of the terrible loops. The pr series balls however have much better loops, but you do run into more problems with the electronics liking to turn off at the slightest bump.

Smurf24029GOLD Member
Poi Master Smurf
343 posts

Posted:
The the pros do like to turn off. I have alot of tissue paper in there to keep the batteries from slipping.

Also something I noticed is that it does go person to person whether or not you like socks or cords. all person preference.

Fly High
Spin Hard
Don't Stop

2,280 posts

Posted:
I did the exact same thing, but they still absolutely adore the idea of pissing me off which is the sole reason why I rarely use them.

liquidtrancei dream in circles...
336 posts

Posted:
got to say, I know flowtoys seem pricy but they really are worth getting, by the time you've got a couple of pairs of cheaper glowpoi, spent loads of money on batteries and they've stopped working completely you will have spent the same money as a set of flowtoys, honestly, crystal poi with mass, colecord and swivels are the way to go- they look amazing, virtually indestructible and can run on rechargeable batteries. When I was getting into poi flowtoys didn't exist and I wasted a small fortune in other glowballs/poi etc

even chuck norris can't pin you down if your on fire

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
My first set was a sandbag on a chain. Worked ok. The other option is just to get comfortable with what you have, then get fire poi and practice unlit with them for a while. Just make sure you protect the heads.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
owner of the group property
1,277 posts

Posted:
Too much weight in the chains vs. the head makes things funky. Flowlights + crystal case + double mass is one of the heavier LED setups I know of, but I'd still consider it too light for even light chains. I'd say use a colecord setup; the feel is close enough to chain for your skills to transfer over easily.

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

Smurf24029GOLD Member
Poi Master Smurf
343 posts

Posted:
I cant stand flowtoys. Havent used them with flomass but they are still really uncomfortable.
Edit: In my opinion. Doesn't mean they aren't great.
EDITED_BY: Smurf24029 (1273009881)

Fly High
Spin Hard
Don't Stop

MidkiffBRONZE Member
shadow stranger
462 posts

Posted:
i found a website called liquidemotions.com that have modified flowlights that can have upto 12 microlights in them and you get to choose the colors of the microlights but a bit pricey the one i was looking at came to a total of 142 dollars for one flowlight but i bet it would be amazing

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able, and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" - Epicurus

ecaBRONZE Member
197 posts

Posted:
Umm, if I remember correctly, Oggz come standard on ball chain.
----------
Guess it doesn't come standard, but on trickconcepts.com you can order a set with your choice of cord or ball chain.

"What's a pussy-weevil?"

Poppy-roseBRONZE Member
30 posts

Posted:
tbh I use LEDs, got more bruises than being kicked by a horse! Its best to perfect the moves with socks then go onto the LEDs. Or try tails

Poppys will always be close to your heart.

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
Yeah, I wouldn't recommend double mass flowlights as the place to start. I would definitely get the basics with loose rice or lentils in socks (putting it in a balloon makes it harder), and then start using LED toys or other harder heads when you have a bit of confidence.

Unless you're crazy like me and like to practice with things that can give you black eyes. Fine options all.

Edit: though the original poster mentions having socks and some basics. Personally, whether it's weighted tennis balls or flowtoys, once you start working with rigid heads above 80-90g, the pain involved in messing up is pretty comparable. So at this point I'd say get something LED you like, but keep the socks around for when you need a friendly pair for very new moves.
EDITED_BY: Sister Eleven (1273332129)

MidkiffBRONZE Member
shadow stranger
462 posts

Posted:
well socks can hurt bad too... i have a pair o sock poi that are probably 250g or more and it doesnt matter how soft they are they hit me in the fun bag and i hit the floor

2,280 posts

Posted:
It doesn't matter what you have, if it hits you in the funbag it will hurt and there is no poi to avoid it other than taking a piece of memory foam and sticking it on a cord, but that wouldn't be very useful.

MidkiffBRONZE Member
shadow stranger
462 posts

Posted:
well if you weighted the core and had that in sock poi that might be ok

Poppy-roseBRONZE Member
30 posts

Posted:
thank god im a woman then! but still get hit in the eye.. dont ask.

Poppys will always be close to your heart.

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
Though getting hit in the boob by a rolled up bike tire inner tube is still teh lame..,

EpitomeOfNoviceGOLD Member
Putting the "FUN" in fundamental since 1981
787 posts

Posted:
I actually like having my LEDs on a ball chain or in my socks, but I wouldn't go any heavier and a ball chain set up personally without weighted LED poi (not sure if they can be weighted to that extent though).

~Rock on!~

"As the pattern gets more intricate and subtle, being swept along is no longer enough"-Waking Life

(All you RLers this is epitome_of_lame *waves hello*)

FugeeBRONZE Member
Cooler than bubblegum!
2,501 posts

Posted:
EoN! Welcome back!

The popcorn extends life... The popcorn expands consciousness...

787 posts

Posted:
Thanks Fugee! Can I call you that? LOL smile

~Rock on!~

"As the pattern gets more intricate and subtle, being swept along is no longer enough"-Waking Life

FugeeBRONZE Member
Cooler than bubblegum!
2,501 posts

Posted:
Plays the Aphrodite version of 'Ready or not'

Call me Foo for all I care. Anything suits me really. If you pick something out you had better make it stick though, I'd hate to have any confusion. grin

The popcorn extends life... The popcorn expands consciousness...

787 posts

Posted:
Sweet, it just comes to mind every time I see your screen name! ubbrollsmile

~Rock on!~

D3l1r1umbefore delirium there was... delight
57 posts

Posted:
I use LED poi- you just gottah be comfortable with the weight. I use sock poi when just learning the move-
When spinning the LED on chains though- they are heavier, and they dont go through the air the same way as the sock poi.....

Page: