GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
Here are my hyperlights. This is a quick thread to show you how they work, them in action and the possibilities they have.

There are still a few creases to be ironed out that the creator - Jon (and Peter) does know about such as the software not working in a 64bit OS (due to a driver signing issue) I am therefore running on a virtual machine with XP. 5 knocks together puts them in hibernation mode. This turns them off and allows you to spin for 5 or so seconds and they turn back on, one accelerometer is a bit out so one turns on before the other. This is a fix that can be done through the software (firmware fix)

For everyone that loves brightness here is a quote from Jon

"If we convert them all into Lumens based on the assumption that they're all 30 degree beams (which is probably on the generous side), they're rated like this (in lumens):

Hyperlights: 100 lumens
Aerotech Ultimates: 2.68 lumens
HoP Lightwand: 1.71 lumens
HoP Beamers: 0.985 lumens"

The software at the minute has no GUI that I am aware of, but im sure I did see one in the making. I know nothing about programming really but you get the idea from the screenshots. Its possible to do pretty much anything from a slow 1 minute fade of one colour to the next to setting a strobe 2000 flashes per second. The default settings make them dim to 1/16 of there brightness to reserve battery power and not blind you. Each poi head runs on 2 AAA batteries

Pictures and video are taken on an old panasonic fx8, longest shutter setting (1 second) in the day. One of the pictures shows Flowlights - 2 'air' full brightness setting for comparison. Video has quickly been put together in windows movie maker, music is Lifelike & Kris Menace - Discopolis (Chris Lake Remix)

I can safely say that there is no poi/light head better than these or that will come close to these for a while. They are expensive at £300 but you get what you pay for
(apologies for the forest scarf, its my housemates)

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Jealous as! Are the socks stretchy? I can't stand stretchy socks...

hug

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
nope, not at all. I hate stretchy socks too

liquidtrancei dream in circles...
336 posts

Posted:
oh god my bank account is taking a real hammering, these will take it up to nearly a grand's worth of toys this year so far!! shocked

even chuck norris can't pin you down if your on fire

MidkiffBRONZE Member
shadow stranger
462 posts

Posted:
frown i dislike envy i cant wait to get some

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able, and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" - Epicurus

ecaBRONZE Member
197 posts

Posted:
I want these. Would love to see a video of them in complete darkness (though, it looks like they tend to light the room themselves).

"Think of the pussy, Weevil."
"What's a pussy-weevil?"

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
Not complete darkness but heres a vid showing a few different settings...

336 posts

Posted:
wow - i am SO getting some, gonna need to put out a warning to everyone in the area who has epilepsy!!! do hyperlights offer a warrenty of some sort like flowtoys do? also I'd like to see them tested to destruction, just to see how much of a thrashing they can take smile
(not that I'd mistreat them, just so I know what they can and can't do...)

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
1 year warrenty. I wont test mine to destruction by hitting them with a hammer or anything but i have knowcked them on the ceiling and together and there have continued as normal.

They do come with a statement about not being suitable for epilepic people and that if looked at directly will cause temporary blindness. Not suprised really...

"If we convert them all into Lumens based on the assumption that they're all 30 degree beams (which is probably on the generous side), they're rated like this (in lumens):

Hyperlights: 100 lumens
Aerotech Ultimates: 2.68 lumens
HoP Lightwand: 1.71 lumens
HoP Beamers: 0.985 lumens

...so yeah, Hyperlights are pretty bright"

TideGOLD Member
Future pyrotechnician...? Or something.
111 posts

Posted:
Quick question, can hyperlights challenge fire in brightness? :3

This statement is false...?

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: TideQuick question, can hyperlights challenge fire in brightness? :3

Id say they are brighter! I can look at fire and it doesnt hurt my eyes. When you look at these, even when not at full brightness (red when tapping) I cant see anything for a second after.

The first thing i did was look at the lense after tapping them together. I was startled rolleyes

JuggleSeanGOLD Member
Ooops
116 posts

Posted:
Wow, these are really groovy. It looks like one would have to factor in the cost of sun screen while spinning though.

Groovy

336 posts

Posted:
quick question, how long do the batteries last on full power?

ecaBRONZE Member
197 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: OhioSeanWow, these are really groovy. It looks like one would have to factor in the cost of sun screen while spinning though.

LOL!

"What's a pussy-weevil?"

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: liquidtrancequick question, how long do the batteries last on full power?

Think Jon said about an hour on full brightness. 2-3 on other settings like strobes

336 posts

Posted:
cool smile

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
Vid in dark as requested...

336 posts

Posted:
holy censored!!!!!

ecaBRONZE Member
197 posts

Posted:
I can now say that I WILL OWN A PAIR! They are gonna have to wait a while though frown

"What's a pussy-weevil?"

firematPLATINUM Member
stranger
2 posts

Posted:
ok so what do i do to buy a pair?

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: firematok so what do i do to buy a pair?

https://www.hyperlight.co.uk/contact/signup/

The forum section will have info on batch 2 progress I expect

edit - firematt, bit for info posted today from Jon...

"Batch two (50 pairs) should be ready in ~6-8 weeks"

TeamoGOLD Member
Almost again
124 posts

Posted:
It seems that the lights automatically go down when the poi stop. Is it possible to program so that it doesn't do that? I would imagine that being a nuisance when doing stacks, or stopping one poi for a while for theatrical reasons.

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: ReVoIt seems that the lights automatically go down when the poi stop. Is it possible to program so that it doesn't do that? I would imagine that being a nuisance when doing stacks, or stopping one poi for a while for theatrical reasons.

Yep. This was a question I asked and had this reply

"This is already a configurable option (turning the dimming off altogether and making the delay longer). I'll add some instructions to the manual when I'm back on Tuesday."

If possible I want to set this to 5 seconds of none movement. At the moment it sometimes dims when stalling or isolating

ecaBRONZE Member
197 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Geeza At the moment it sometimes dims when stalling or isolating

I kinda noticed that in your dark vid. Good to know they got it covered!

"What's a pussy-weevil?"

chemairoSILVER Member
person who like to spin all gears
62 posts

Posted:
just a short question:

Do you can tell any price of this set?

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
£300 + postage smile

Cake or Death?

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
I take it that you could have the poi get brighter on slowing down (so when you hit a stall point they could flash) but I'm sure the answer to this question will just make me want something I cannot yet afford.

hug

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
Potentially yes although the bit of code which allows you to play with the accelerometers is currently quite experimental smile

Cake or Death?