EpitomeOfNoviceGOLD Member
Putting the "FUN" in fundamental since 1981
787 posts

Posted:
Alas I have been inspired to create a thread! What do you do to make an individual impact in a larger scheme of things?

Here is my short list:

I'm a registered voter and take part in all elections
I support industries I wish to see grow
I don't purchase goods from industries that I'm against the practices of
I try to live greener by supporting organic/sustainable farming practices and carry my own reusable bags to purchase goods to save a tree or not need a plastic grocery bag.
I produce minimal waste and use refillable water bottles (both large and small)
I'm involved in political activism and try to get the word out to others at local events
I try to live as healthy as possible to create less strain on the healthcare systems and facilities
I live within my means and pay my debts because I should and I don't want to contribute to the economical consequences that falls onto others
I support as many free and fair trade practices as possible in my consumer transactions
I let people merge in front of me in heavy traffic and drive as safely and courteous as possible

That's just what comes to mind first on what I try to do to make an impact on a larger scale, what do you do? wonder beerchug (those emoticon mugs look reusable come to think of it!)

~Rock on!~

"As the pattern gets more intricate and subtle, being swept along is no longer enough"-Waking Life

(All you RLers this is epitome_of_lame *waves hello*)

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Offhand?

Remain polite.
Donate blood regularly.
Use FOSS as much as possible.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

FugeeBRONZE Member
Cooler than bubblegum!
2,501 posts

Posted:
This is a good thread EoN!

I understand that it's hard for people to make an individual impact in the same way. Eg. I do not vote, if I did I would loose something very precious to me. I do however, encourage everyone I know to exercise this right. Otherwise....

I was given a very large piece of land out of my mother's family estate and warded most it to the state conservatory adjoining it.
I maintain a garden, orchard and livestock. This allows me to limit the amount of land, pesticides, and fossil fuel expended for my nutritional sake.
I will have rice paddies next year, since they can use land more effectively then wheat.
I can and freeze the produce to avoid ingesting harmful chemicals.
I also grow peppermint and mix it with potash soap as a pest control agent.
I raise chickens, that I free range in the daytime. They quickly turn biomass(fall leaves ect.) into fertilizer in their pin. They lay eggs, so I don't have to contribute to the horrible conditions egg hens are kept in.(just recently outlawed in Oklahoma) They maintain a healthy source of protein.(yep, I butcher them).
I raise goats, they keep the grass under control and there is a market for them close by, where I can trade them for cash or beef.
I have a fireplace with a brass dial. In the limited winter conditions in my area, it produces enough heat for the entire 2600 sq ft house I live in. I soak the ashes for the lye and use the remainder, coal and reclaimed ash, for biochar, in my garden.
I use well water, and maintain a open cistern to return water to the ground.
My sewage is passed through a grey water system that waters my landscaping. The remaining refuse is composted.
I have a small wind turbine that cuts my electric bill by over half. In 2011, I will be adding another larger turbine that will eliminate my electric bill and pass clean energy onto the neighbours free of charge.
I volunteer my free time and spare income in the spring and fall to local humanitarian agencies.
I do not buy plastic bottles, or even plastic when I can help it.
I refuse to purchase satellite programming.
I have a converted diesel car that is powered by McDonalds and a large truck that I use sparingly.

It takes extreme effort to maintain this lifestyle. I truly appreciate those in the places the western world doesn't often consider daily and how hard they must work for a marginal living. This is what I do to, as FireTom would say, "ease the suffering of the planet." I hope to do more.

The popcorn extends life... The popcorn expands consciousness...

787 posts

Posted:
RC, that is entirely understandable we all have our own ways for many reasons. I really love what you're doing and hope that I can get a commune going around retirement time or have the funds to set myself up for something closer to that lifestyle. We have some good stuff thus far.

Here are some ways I try to work out conservation in "Apartment Living".

I time my showers!
I do not run appliances during peak usage periods, so while I'm asleep (along with the rest of the grid) and my electrical usage is at a minimum is when I do laundry or run the dishes.
Instead of turning the thermostat up and down for air and heat, I change what I'm wearing and use AC and heat as little as possible.
I use organic, fair trade, biodegradable cleaning and cosmetic products (those have really gotten better these days!)
When appliances aren't used they are unplugged and outlets that aren't used I cut off the breaker switch to them.
I have my own herb garden out on my balcony for spices to use in my cooking.
I also use paperless E-billing when I can to stop waste of paper ingoing and outgoing.
I buy as much food that was grown within a 100 mile radius as possible which is well marked at my Whole Foods, that cuts down on cost and carbon footprint from transportation and refrigeration costs!

People in apartment complexes can do something, I've even seen my grocery bag trend spreading around the complex which is awesome now that many stores are offering them for under a dollar. I think it's awesome, I've convinced my mom and the in-laws to take up the practice when possible. yes

~Rock on!~

"As the pattern gets more intricate and subtle, being swept along is no longer enough"-Waking Life

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
I find this interesting, because I quite often find that I'll do stuff that's considered by others to be me making a personal impact on the bigger scheme of things...yet I'm not specifically doing it because of that. I'm just doing it because I think that it's the right things to do and not because I'm trying to make an impact specifically.

The most common example of this is my cycling - "oh are you trying to contribute to slowing global warming??" no, I'm cycling because it's the right thing to do. I was "green" before global warming came into the public sphere.

So I suppose with this in mind:
I cycle, take public transport or car pool.
I work in community radio which I do because it's a good career move, but also because I miss a sense of community and I want to do what I can to try and make one.
I speak for an hour each week on community radio about cycling.
Ditto about environmental issues
Ditto on youth affairs, which is on a vision-impaired station to try and establish relationships between vision impaired youths and sighted youths (our content is not exclusively VI because we want to show that VI you are essentially the same as sighted youth)
I also do interviews with immigrants in Australia to then broadcast back to their home countries (in their own languages...well, lingua franca) to try and maintain a relationship between families who may have lost touch.
When it was still an option for me, I'd shop in ma and pa shops for things like my fruit and veggies (this is no longer an option since I've changed city)
I try to buy fair trade.
I aim to earn enough money that I can afford to buy local and fair trade.
I support a village in a least developed country to provide the children there with an education should they wish to seek a different lifestyle away from their village (there is a big problem with un-educated young people in the capital who are mostly unemployable). I also try to provide contributions to their heath.
I boycott certain giant companies (certain ones, cos to be honest, it's pretty much impossible to boycott them all) and even some no-so-big ones who are just dodgy (Gloria Jeans for those in Australia playing along)
I rarely buy new clothes and choose to buy second hand ones (I do this cos I prefer the clothes, it's just a happy bonus that it's good for saving on production costs and impact)
I coach beginner sport because I love grass-roots sport and the benefits that it has for the individual and the community.
Use greywater.
I wash my hair with water only which shortens my shower time and reduces products that I need to buy.
Similarly, I don't wear makeup unless it's for a special event.
I try to conduct my work online as much as possible and reduce printing (my lecturers hated me at uni because I refused to print out pages and pages of lecture notes each week)

It's taken me an hour to write that as I try to think up things, because like I said I don't consciously do these things because I'm trying to make an impact, it's more than I believe in certain concepts (did you notice the community theme going on!) and my work there contributes to a larger scale.

I'm more likely to read the list that others are writing and go "oh yeah, I do that too"

Originally Posted By: RCEg. I do not vote, if I did I would loose something very precious to me.
I don't get it confused2

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

FugeeBRONZE Member
Cooler than bubblegum!
2,501 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Rouge DragonI don't get it confused2

In the US you must give up dual citizenships if you wish to vote.

787 posts

Posted:
That is true, even if it's for one of our territories like Guam or Puerto Rico.

~Rock on!~

787 posts

Posted:
Rouge many of the things are common place for us and we don't even think about it, but I did think it would be nice to reflect as it may get the juices churning for someone else or we didn't realize it does something larger than simply work for us.

I just remembered a few more...

I'm an organ donor (just incase! I know it sounds morbid, but if something should happen to my noggin the rest of me can help someone else who has theirs intact)
I donate all clothing and household goods I have no use for or don't do anything with for awhile.
Whenever possible I workout carpooling even when a group is just going to the same city, better than taking 2 or 3 and saves on gas money too.

When more pop up or someone states one I haven't thought of I'll make a note of it!

~Rock on!~

ecaBRONZE Member
197 posts

Posted:
I try to avoid chains (unless they are locally owned and operated, there are a few around here)
I shop at ma and pa shops as often as possible
I try to find products I want second-hand
I have NEVER had a license or owned a car and don't intend to (censored things scare me to death... no human being needs to move at 70 mph, if we needed to, we'd be able to run that speed)
I cycle virtually everywhere, even in the nearly intolerable cold we have during winter months (at least one day a year where temps hit -60F with the windchill)
If I am taking public transit (rare) I try to take one of the hybrid buses if possible.
I smoke, but don't throw my butts on the ground.
I use a re-usable bag as often as possible.
If I have no choice but to use a plastic bag, I re-use it until it falls apart.
I do my best to recycle (my apartment building doesn't have recycling frown )
I use discarded bicycle parts on my bikes.
I volunteer at an anarchist-collective community bike shop (teaching and assisting people in building and maintaining their bikes, primarily with used parts)
I have a small hydroponic garden
I patch my own clothing as needed
Most of the clothing I own I have owned for nearly 10 years
I try to avoid synthetic fabrics
I try to take baths as opposed to showers (seems counter-intuitive but it actually saves water)
I shut the water off when brushing my teeth
I bathe only 2-4 times a month, and use natural cleansers
I dumpster anything I have a use for that is still in decent condition
It is not out-of-character for me to dumpster food
I post things I'm looking to get rid of on CL or Freecycle (even if broken, someone will be able to fix it)
I primarily use a zippo to avoid throwing away all those plastic lighters (they can't be recycled)
I pick up other people's refuse
If not near a refuse container (kinda hard when the city is designed so that there is always one within eyesight along any major road), I carry my trash.
~90% of my possessions were previously owned
I try to re-use as much of my waste (salsa jars, soda cans/bottles, etc.) as possible

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Refuge Crew: When I finish my degree, can I live with you? I have wanted to live a lifestyle similar to yours for as long as I can remember.

"Think of the pussy, Weevil."
"What's a pussy-weevil?"

FugeeBRONZE Member
Cooler than bubblegum!
2,501 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: ecaRefuge Crew: When I finish my degree, can I live with you? I have wanted to live a lifestyle similar to yours for as long as I can remember.

Lol, you are one of innumerable people that have asked me that question. My closest friends say they are coming straight to my place if civilisation breaks down. I'm afraid that what I have here is inadequate for more people, otherwise, I would say come one come all. Dan_Hendricks here on HoP is working on something similar and interesting though.

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Refuge CrewOriginally Posted By: Rouge DragonI don't get it confused2

In the US you must give up dual citizenships if you wish to vote.

aw bugger, that's crap frown

Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

brenonfire413SILVER Member
Fire Spinner Exarch
514 posts

Posted:
Refuge Crew, do you have an extra goat kid? I've always wanted a pet goat!

This is a good thread. Introspection is a good thing when used in a positive direction. My list isn't quite as long or as detailed that's for sure. I own a bike which has served me well in its time. It needs new parts which I'm ordering. I avoid certain stores and brands, either because I don't like the product or the company. I have never owned a credit card and only pay in cash what I cam afford. I do not own or watch television and rarely see movies. Cook at home a lot, mainly because fast food sucks and I'm a great cook. Generally avoid alcohol or cigarettes because they are costly and habit forming Im a very outdoors person and try and get other friends to participate, especially if they are people who don't generally go camping. People usually enjoy themselves and some find it very inspiring. If I think of other things I'll add them....

"Are you sure it's safe to drink bleach?"
"Yes, bleach is 90% water, we are 90% water, therefore: we are bleach."
-Nathan Explosion, Metalocalypse

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
Wow I suck....

I negate at least half of everything that you guys do to contribute smile

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
I wont bother putting all of the little things down because I think most of them are covered by other people above but...

I have been a director of a 'Green Festival' in Manchester (UK) for 2 years now. This year we had over 7000 attendee's for the main event and over 150 people at our 'What Next' conference evening. None of us take a wage from the event. Instead we put it all back into local community / green projects.
( Our Website - https://www.greenchorlton.co.uk
)
( Our YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/user/GreenChorlton
)

(I think it's worth pointing out here that I do not believe that 'being green' and, what are considered, 'hippy values' have anything to do with each other. I approach green issues from a logical / scientific perspective. I am often at odds with the other members of the group but, someone has maintain some sense of perspective and keep them in line wink )

As part of the above I am also a director of a volunteer organisation called Green Chorlton which aims to promote sustainability and community values in our local area.

I regularly help others plan / run their own events.

I am studying physics at uni (after working in events / sound for nearly 10 years) and am currently hoping to end up working on (/contributing to) one of the nuclear fusion projects that are running in Europe at the moment i.e. CCFE in Oxford, ITER in France, etc. (although that is a couple of years off so who knows where I will end up).
( https://www.ccfe.ac.uk/
)
( https://www.iter.org/
)

I am a big promoter of the campaign for Libel Reform in the UK ( https://www.libelreform.org/
). If you think scientists should be able to question scientific / medical claims when they are built on shakey grounds OR that people should not be able to use the UK courts to sue each other over articles never published in the UK then go sign the petition.

On a completely different subject (but still my impact on a larger scale) I have been a DJ and club promoter for 10 years. We still regularly put on parties in Manchester and occasionally other parts of the UK. I like to think some of the fun that we have had has been passed on to others and that has brightened up, at least, their day.
(Our Facebook page is https://www.facebook.com/pages/STRANGE-DAZE/215644568098
)

FugeeBRONZE Member
Cooler than bubblegum!
2,501 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: ecaRefuge Crew: When I finish my degree, can I live with you? I have wanted to live a lifestyle similar to yours for as long as I can remember.

Hold up! Bearded butchy Eca can come live with me smile

ecaBRONZE Member
197 posts

Posted:
Refuge: Why the change of heart?

"Think of the pussy, Weevil."
"What's a pussy-weevil?"

FugeeBRONZE Member
Cooler than bubblegum!
2,501 posts

Posted:
I was being shallow.

787 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: PojeWow I suck....

I negate at least half of everything that you guys do to contribute smile

LOL At least any is awesome in my book! smile Half gets you a gold star! yes

Originally Posted By: Seye(I think it's worth pointing out here that I do not believe that 'being green' and, what are considered, 'hippy values' have anything to do with each other. I approach green issues from a logical / scientific perspective. I am often at odds with the other members of the group but, someone has maintain some sense of perspective and keep them in line wink )

I love this! That is the most awesome thing I've heard all day, it has been nice seeing the whole "greener living" thing leave the realm of "hippy/new age" imagery exclusively. If I were coined as anything it would be a "hipster" and I've seen quite a few other subcultures make changes in how they live personally and how they organize events to be greener and support individual businesses that follow a good ethical code in terms of the environment and human/animal rights, even raves and concerts have made the shift I've noticed these past couple of years.

I'm a green festival supporter myself and am very excited for this summer to have fun and show support grin
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Another thing that I didn't think of are many of my facebook fan pages that friends have access to. I fan all businesses that I support and organizations so that anyone who comes across my page or on my friends list has an awareness about them so they can look into supporting them (shopping, news updates, consumer facts) if they wish to. It sounds massively tiny, but grassroots efforts of the webpage and social networking variety go a long way. I like staying in the know with the status updates and they clue me into savings for practices and products I support, along with fun fundraiser events (locally) I wouldn't have been aware of.

~Rock on!~

georgemcBRONZE Member
Sitting down facing forward . . .
2,387 posts

Posted:
This is a good thread!
I hate to admit I'm a bit like Rougie (ew, am I really saying that! laugh3 )in that my contribtion is nothing to do with "hippy" - I'm about as anti-hip as you can get but do certain things because it was the way I was brought up and it's the right thing to do. Such as:

not throwing away left-over food
recycling (we have a good 3-bin-waste system in Chch)
minimising use of, & reusing/recycling plastic bags
biking to/from work snow, wind rain etc (and when I wear suit & tie at work that's not always easy)
etc

but the way I try to conribute most is not in this area which has become known as "green" but in the global community:
I try to actively help the people I meet e.g. international customers nad colleagues by understanding their culture and needs and wants
I extend this to philisophic discussions where I find a receptive mind (religion/faith etc)
I was a Cub/Scout leader
now I teach the newbies at Kendo

I try to influence people a above, by example, to have "good old fashioned values". To do this these days first requires a strong discipline of mind.

While I applaud those who try to lead a "green" life, I tend to think that isolating oneself from the rest of the world is not actually achieving as much as if one tries to influence others globally towards a better life. Some here on HoP do this with their posts (eh Fire Tom?!)

Written by: Doc Lightning talking about Marmite in Kichi's Intro thread

I have several large jars of the stuff. I actually like it... a little. And don't tell anyone I admitted to it.
grin

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: georgemcI hate to admit I'm a bit like Rougie

WIN! grin ubbrollsmile bounce2

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
nice thread EoN smile

how to put it?

I use a motorcycle instead of a car (has a lot of side benefits for me apart from saving fuel) and instead of using fossil fuels getting me through the European winter, I travel to (SE) Asia instead... (with more side benefits)... wink

I try to minimize my environmental impact and I do plant as many trees as fit into a garden. I restore almost every place I move into and recharge its batteries.

I adopted a cat and dog and left money to feed them through monsoon, paid for their vaccinations and have the girl neutralized (too many dogs there already), I support the local dog trust and Animal Rescue.

I separate trash in the three categories back home and try to avoid trash on travels as much as possible. Did waste management at the juggling convention (and almost got arrested for trying to give the plastic bottles to the local landfill - Goa can be quite funny at stages)... I refuse plastic bags wherever I can (ESPECIALLY in India/SE Asia).

I try being kind to all people in my surrounding... it often works verbally shrug I'm still learning... I try to be helpful to people and animals (though I start trying to discern in which situations they just need to make a certain experience).

I don't hunt for more money but use what I got.

I try to raise awareness about global ecological and political issues but so far I haven't started a blog... I should do that rather than pi55ing off fellow USAmerican spinners on this board.

On other social networks I emphasize on posting positive messages aimed to raise (spiritual) awareness rather than bickering on my (personally perceived) "hardships" or hailing the conditioned ecstasy of consumerism...

I stopped taking any kind of illicit drug and quit smoking without becoming a fascistic anti-narcotics/tobacco maniac... it's been one of my major battles fought after 'being used' maybe 3/4 of my current lifespan... it's now 1.5 years and still counting. Whenever my mind plays with the thought of going back, I just get near people on drugs and instantaneously my soul calms my mind down, saying "you don't want to go back there...

I start to believe in magic again... who knows, maybe I one day find again access to that impartial kid I once was (though I don't want to kill ants like I used to)...

I stopped pretending to be happy when I'm not and be more authentic... trying to grant everybody else the same right...

(and whoever understands this part) I try to transform my soul from being a warrior/cleric to become an artist. This lifetime I don't believe in violence anymore and gain trust in the Universal Oneness...

peace

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: EpitomeOfNoviceI love this! That is the most awesome thing I've heard all day, it has been nice seeing the whole "greener living" thing leave the realm of "hippy/new age" imagery exclusively.
That's just made me really happy :-) It's exactly that reaction that makes it all worthwhile :-D

I think we've finally managed to reach a point where the general population understand that every action that we take has a series of consequences. These are not always as obvious as they might seem. A lot of apparently green ideas actually do more damage than good.
We can be realistic about the causes, events and potential now.

Also, we can now have conversations about global climate / pollution without having to listen to people talking about 'Gaia', how 'we are not spiritually connected with the land any more' or how we would all be better off without civilisation.

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
errm and George... I read that wink

I recently figured (and shamefully have to admit that 'Avatar' has contributed to it) that "respect" and "gratefulness" is an essential part of life.

In times where we are SOOO detached from what is reality (like: chicken schnitzel come from the supermarket) it seems necessary to sit back, relax and realize where we are and what that is around us... I for my part started doing a prayer of gratitude before every meal and thank all lifeforms and people involved in putting it on my plate. Might sound completely foolish... redface

georgemcBRONZE Member
Sitting down facing forward . . .
2,387 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: FireTomerrm and George... I read that wink
Actually, I meant that in all seriousness - I know there are plenty of others who also post on HoP trying to positively influence others, but I thought you were one example of someone I have noticed consistently doing this. And while some people have misinterpreted your message/intent, I can only really remember a general positive helpfulness.

Written by: Doc Lightning talking about Marmite in Kichi's Intro thread

I have several large jars of the stuff. I actually like it... a little. And don't tell anyone I admitted to it.
grin

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
redface hug thanks George hug peace shall work on my "skillful means" smile

787 posts

Posted:
My impact in terms of sociologically/philosophically is the exact opposite of georgemc, FireTom, and Rouge actually which I would like to see catch on but it's so radical I'm not holding my breath. It's not a knock to anyone as we all have ways we try to contribute, but I don't think what is right for my life or an idealistic improvement is universal nor do I want anyone else's agenda/ideals encouraged or imposed on me (yes I'm a firm believer in Absurdism and Existentialism! Also Libertarianism! *uber big smiley face, rock out sign in one hand and peace in another cause there is no emoticon for that* making me hugely skeptical in Sociology/Psychology and resentful of "public service" for many philosophical reasons) so my approach is adjusted to the level of stimuli I wish to process. meditate
I care most about a non-interventionalist coexistence where freedom is absolute until you literally inflict harm on another being hence making many issues go back to being non-issues in theory. I'd say it's comparable to the Taoist water method when I'm at my most disciplined. I also use this method with friends of different beliefs than my own and it does help make talks of conversion or condemnation on lifestyles/politics/religion not come up because when left alone they are non-issues. I feel it's the most equal and respectful way to treat others, not assuming or placing ideals and expectations where I wouldn't want them placed on me since we're all different and life is an ongoing experiment with few definitive truths. smile

I must say I like FireTom's approach on the drug/substance thing, I'm the same way with friends and have kept myself straight for years at a time. I don't condemn those who choose to partake, but for me as well the cons outweigh the pros so good for you deciding your destiny and allowing others to figure out what works for them. clap *wish I had the ravelinks "thumbs up guy" emoticon, but clapping man will work!*

I think it's a given that non-impact can be a big deal and is normally associated with neglect or other negative repercussions, but I thought I'd share a bit about myself and a different side to the hands off approach that is employed practically and I see as a positive effort (by way of non-action).
EDITED_BY: EpitomeOfNovice (1274129094)
EDIT_REASON: Needed to explain my type of impact and reasoning behind it more in depth *crosses fingers it's all understood properly and I didn't yammer misuberstandably again*

~Rock on!~

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
There is a saying by some German philosophy and it translates somehow like this:

"Freedom always starts with other people differing from your beliefs and concepts."

Their freedom of expression shall not be diminished. wink

[ed]btw - this "non-interference" concept... does it work for kids too? wink
EDITED_BY: FireTom (1274145226)

787 posts

Posted:
That's a good philosophy!

As for kids, I think about when I was a kid (a small one between like 4 and 8, elementary school) and no matter how many warnings I got or however much direction, in the end I had to learn the hard way for anything to stick and have my own understanding of "why" something is not a good idea. They called it a "touch the stove learner" because no matter weather it really was hot or cold some don't get it without trial and error. So, I think in the end it's sometimes the only way that works for some! LOL

After several years I did graduate from the school of hard knocks... for the most part... I think... footinmouth J/K!!! laugh3
But for real, I think with some kids it's the only real teacher and that it's perfectly natural. It even lead up to the scientific method if you really think about it along with other great strides of thought for many academic and practical fundamentals alike. smile

~Rock on!~