Forums > Social Discussion > making music with fire poi

Login/Join to Participate

MidkiffBRONZE Member
shadow stranger
462 posts

Posted:
i wonder how many people it would take to make music with fire poi? he maori people used to do it from what i hear i would like to attempt this or see and hear it done

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able, and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" - Epicurus

NathanielEveristSILVER Member
enthusiast
315 posts

Posted:
It'd be hard because fire poi don't make that much noise. They make that whooshing noise, so I suppose it'd be possible to create a basic rhythm with a few people, which would be cool.

The poi the maori used are different from modern poi.

liquidtrancei dream in circles...
336 posts

Posted:
what about making a special set of firepoi for just that purpose? like a monkeyfist set with a core designed to make a noise like the traditional maori kind, maybe a hollow metal core with something inside to make noise on impact?

even chuck norris can't pin you down if your on fire

georgemcBRONZE Member
Sitting down facing forward . . .
2,387 posts

Posted:
ummmm, guys, the Maori didn't use fire poi other than as a weapon to set fire to a Pa. The closest thing I've seen to a "musical poi" is the Australian Aborigine bullroarer. I guess with a "chorus" of bullroarer's of different sizes/shapes you could make some kind of music by altering the spinning speed.

But as for a fire version of a bull-roarer or fire poi to make music, I suspect that the action of the air on the flame might block the hole for the sound if it was around the core anyway.

Written by: Doc Lightning talking about Marmite in Kichi's Intro thread

I have several large jars of the stuff. I actually like it... a little. And don't tell anyone I admitted to it.
grin

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Boleadoras? If that is what I am thinking of at least....

South American thing where you hit the ground with it to make a rhythm.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

meshunderlayBRONZE Member
Juggler/Spinner
612 posts

Posted:
Georgemc, Aston, merge ideas!

Get on it!

georgemcBRONZE Member
Sitting down facing forward . . .
2,387 posts

Posted:
no - stick with a hole in it attached to a string. whirl it around your head and it makes a noise.

At HoP HQ we were playing with "music poi" but couldn't get anything reliable - and that was non-fire. I am pretty sure a fire version would be even more no-go unless someone comes up with an approach no-one imagined before.

Written by: Doc Lightning talking about Marmite in Kichi's Intro thread

I have several large jars of the stuff. I actually like it... a little. And don't tell anyone I admitted to it.
grin

Taniyastranger
1 post

Posted:
Hey.. this is some thing new that I have never heard of before . thanks for sharing this technique I should try out .

|

MidkiffBRONZE Member
shadow stranger
462 posts

Posted:
well anyone think they could make any of these different concepts?

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able, and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" - Epicurus

ecaBRONZE Member
197 posts

Posted:
You could do a bullroarer with fire on the ends, or boleadoras with these at the ends.

Since you're talking about getting a group of people to do this, you could have some people with fire poi, some with the fire bullroarers, and some with the fire boleadoras working together.

"Think of the pussy, Weevil."
"What's a pussy-weevil?"