Forums > Help! > Spinning off fuel? Creating fire circles

Login/Join to Participate

Jen H.SILVER Member
stranger
3 posts

Posted:
I'm BRAND new to the forums, and I hope I'm not repeating someone else's topic, if I am please forgive me:)

I was wondering if anyone knew how to create the "ring of fire" on the ground around the poi spinner right after the lighting of the poi but before the actual spinning. I figure it could be one of two things...the poi spinner does not spin off the excess fluid before lighting and simply spins the lit excess on the ground, creating the ring around the poi spinner (which seems the most likely explanation, as the ring doesn't stay lit very long). Or perhaps the fuel is poured around the poi spinner pre-light and it is lit by the poi spinner at the beginning of the burn? This seems less likely, and more dangerous.

I'd love to make this move happen, it seems like a real crowd-pleaser, and any help would be much appreciated:) Thank you so much, and keep spinning!

-JenBunny

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
Well, both are ways to do it. If you pour fuel on the ground, you will get a longer lasting really big flame. But to make it with your poi, you need either monkeyfist heads or maybe even a cylindrical head. Other feel free to call me on that because I'm not completely sure. Also you have to be burning either white gas or charcoal lighter fluid, or something else of that matter, but not lamp oil or kerosene because it won't work.

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
it should work with any poi head as long as you've got swivels.

spinning them on the ground after you light up will yield an actual circle, pouring usually ends up lop-sided

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

2,280 posts

Posted:
Yeah, but something like cathedrals would like bounce around because of it being square.

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
shouldn't make much of a difference

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

Jen H.SILVER Member
stranger
3 posts

Posted:
Okay, thank you guys so much for your help! I've got cathedrals, but I think I'm going to test it out:)

2,280 posts

Posted:
Ok tell me how it goes because I still have white gas around. Also does anyone knoe wif it works with kero or not?

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Never really tried it, but trying to light any trails from spinning off (before I made a spin bucket) failed.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
I never got that spinning around in circles bouncing your poi off the ground to make trails thing to work even if i didn't spin off.

If you want a circle of fire on the ground, you're going to have to pour fuel and light it. It sucks anyways because it anchors you to one spit for the duration of the effect.

The "back to the future" trails thing is a real crowd pleaser and the effect only lasts a short time. Don't spin off and try to "throw" fuel off your poi onto the ground by adding some extra speed to the poi when they're on the downward portion of the circle.

One thing to keep in mind with these ground effects is, depending on what you're using for fuel, they may leave marks. Colemans burns off cleanly but kerosene/lamp oil may leave a stain. Not a big issue if you're spinning in a parking lot but if you're out there on someone's patio, you may want consider that the "evidence" may linger for weeks.

2,280 posts

Posted:
Hey thanks, I always thought for the Back to the Future style fames you hade to hit your heads on the ground and I didn't want to destroy mine smile

Flint_413GOLD Member
Fire Artist and Hooper
181 posts

Posted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJpmPDAvPPc

^ is a video of me doing this. Spinning in a fire circle is one of my most favorite things ever!! You can do it several ways but I like to pour the fuel on the ground then light it. I have a friend who gets a kick out of pouring the fuel. Usually you pour it pre burn but sometimes if you have fuel in a squirtable bottle you can pour the circle while the person is spinning. But thats pretty dangerous. How I USUALLY do it is I have it poured before, walk into it spinning lit poi then swing my poi down and light the circle. You dont have a lot of time once its poured though cause of evaporation but as long as u get it lit fairly soon your good smile It looks especially rad if you have a song that starts out slow then suddenly goes really fast. So you can just be spinning, la la la then WHOOSH!! grin Its fun x)

If you can't stand the heat, get out of my way.

MidkiffBRONZE Member
shadow stranger
462 posts

Posted:
i've always wondered how this was done will have to try it

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able, and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" - Epicurus

ecaBRONZE Member
197 posts

Posted:
I've seen people do circles by spinning the poi on the ground. They weren't very big, and didn't last very long but it did work. Pretty sure the fuel they used was white gas, that seems to be what everyone around here uses.

"Think of the pussy, Weevil."
"What's a pussy-weevil?"